Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a new mattress

Holy hell, I didn't know buying a new mattress would be so difficult. I've been researching mattresses for over a week, and I have no idea what to buy.

I've read about the Purple mattress, Casper, Nectar, Tuft & Needle, Leesa, Dreamcloud, Sleep Level, Bear, and on and on.

Do I just go to a traditional mattress store where they jack the prices up astronomically? I really like the whole concept of buying a mattress online. Most of them come with a minimum of a 100 night trial; some even 365 nights. Most of them have free returns too.

Never thought this would be so difficult.

Any suggestions?

I love my sleep number bed.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I've really like Casper and I've had it for about 5 years. Getting it delivered to your door is a huge plus too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I've really like Casper and I've had it for about 5 years. Getting it delivered to your door is a huge plus too.
    Do you have all foam or with springs? Where would they deliver it otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Do you have all foam or with springs? Where would they deliver it otherwise?
    All foam, I'm not sure if they've added new options but there was only foam back when I bought it.

Not sure about your delivery question. It was delivered UPS, so I'm sure they'd deliver anywhere you want.

We need a new mattress, but I really don’t want to go thru this process! We have a super comfortable one in a guest bedroom. Probably just go see what that is and get another.

Supporting Member
    Go sleep number. Mine is 15 years +.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    We need a new mattress, but I really don’t want to go thru this process! We have a super comfortable one in a guest bedroom. Probably just go see what that is and get another.
    Spend a lot of time in the guest room? Lol

As a word of caution, I know some people love their sleep number beds (see above), but I can't stand them. Admittedly, I have only slept on them in hotels, so my experience is limited. I felt like I was sleeping on a glorified air mattress, which in itself isn't that bad, but I prefer a real mattress. What really bothered me was that there was a seam right down the middle of the bed that separated the two air bags/sides of the mattress. I could not get over the feeling of that seam.

My personal thought - try to find a way to test the mattresses at a real store or at a friends house or something. As you can see with my opinion vs. the opinion of the other folks, it comes down to personal taste, and it is hard to know what you will like until you actually try it. (I guess that is why places give you the 100 day return period too.)

Freshman
    Have two attresses in the house from Original Mattress Factory. Both are about 12 - 15 years old and are wearing very well. We do rotate these, but probably about once each year. The prices there are better than what you get at the box stores.

Be careful about "trendy" mattresses. Water beds were the in thing 30 years ago. Would supposedly create better sleep and were better for your back and spine....i do not believe they are even made any more.