Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Also who is this idiot working for ESPN BUBBLE WATCH?

will need to call upon its road-warrior spirit. Games at Butler and St. John's are up next, and even at this late date, this is still a team that could well finish under .500 in conference play. Will the committee focus on the win in Newark at the expense of, say, an 8-10 record in a good but not especially mighty Big East? It might be better not to test the question

Good BIG EAST? Are you kidding me? It’s the #2 ranked conference with 5 ranked teams plus Xavier. Yes they are mighty this year. You know who isn’t mighty? YOUR ACC currently ranked 6th.
    His point about the Big East is stupid.

I will agree with him that I would rather not test it with only an 8-10 record, but 8-10 almost definitely gets us in, especially if we get at least one from our 3 games with Butler and Nova. They have to fill out the tournament, and there are a lot of conferences that are under performing. It would not be a surprise if the ACC only gets 3 teams, and the American and A-10 only get 1. Not to mention the WCC which could get 2-3 or only get 1.

I like how they list who the last four in are. As if you couldn't tell by just seeing which teams are in the First Four.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    That's sort of mixing apples and pork bellies, though, given that the streak is about Dayton's inability to win at Xavier. Unfortunately, they beat us more than a few times during that stretch.

I've got Dayton with 22 wins over Xavier since the Jimmy Carter streak started. I've got Xavier with 45 wins in the same timeframe.
    Point understood, but common, doesnt this look good?! https://kitchen.nine.com.au/recipes/...4-d86ef3e73f60

Junior
    But the A10 is a shell of its former self and I believe that to be rather irrefutable.[/QUOTE]

Not to be overly contrary, but the MCC wasn't exactly Murderer's Row when we took down Mourning & Mutombo. Crazy happens in the NCAA.
    Last edited by JTG; 02-10-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    But the A10 is a shell of its former self and I believe that to be rather irrefutable.
    Not to be overly contrary, but the MCC was exactly Murderer's Row when we took down Mourning & Mutombo. Crazy happens in the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you’re being overly contrary. I get the point about “anything goes “ in the NCAAT.

However, specific to the A10 Conference and nothing else, it simply isn’t what it used to be.
    X A V I E R

The A10 is EXACTLY what it used to be. That's....what's wrong with it.

When Xavier was in it and after it went to 14 teams, it was a bloated league that finished between 8th and 10th overall among all the conferences. It usually had one (or in some good years, two) top 25 teams, sent around 3 to the NCAA Tournament, and then it was a few more NIT teams and then a bunch of MAC caliber teams. And then Fordham, who wasn't even an NEC caliber team.

It's the same now. It's exactly the same. The only thing that's really changed is some of the names on the office door. It's still between the 8th and 10th league every year, there is still typically one team in the rankings every year. This year it's Dayton, in previous years it was Rhode Island, and before that it was VCU. There are generally one or two more teams that make the tournament, and the rest is sludge.

The A10 is the same now as it was when we were in it. That's why we wanted out of it. And the commissioner is still an idiot.
    Last edited by xubrew; 02-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Lunardi has us as one of the last four byes this week and a #11 seed. It sure would be nice to beat Butler and get to more solid footing, but given where we were two weeks ago it's pretty hard to complain about our status. Lunardi also has Wichita State as one of the last 4 with a bye, but I don't see it with the way they're floundering. They seem like a Dayton team at best right now, but it's February 11, so we'll see. Cincinnati is the first team out according to Joe, but I think they're on the rise. I could see them only losing once more the rest of the way to Ft. Worth.

It's starting to get interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Lunardi has us as one of the last four byes this week and a #11 seed. It sure would be nice to beat Butler and get to more solid footing, but given where we were two weeks ago it's pretty hard to complain about our status. Lunardi also has Wichita State as one of the last 4 with a bye, but I don't see it with the way they're floundering. They seem like a Dayton team at best right now, but it's February 11, so we'll see. Cincinnati is the first team out according to Joe, but I think they're on the rise. I could see them only losing once more the rest of the way to Ft. Worth.

It's starting to get interesting!
    Here's the thing. On paper, X probably looks like a 11 seed. On the court, they look MUCH better than that right now. And, we've got enough season left to get much further up the seedlist. We won at Seton Hall. There are a few singular wins that teams have that are better than that (Baylor @ Kansas, Louisville @ Duke) but not many. When you look at Seton Hall and all of the teams ranked ahead of then in the NET, I believe they are a combined 128-10 at home, and one of those teams is Michigan State and I'm not sure if they should count. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't shock me if ours was the only double digit win out of those ten. It really was one of the best singular wins that any team has managed all season. Based on how we haven't lost since, it may not be an anomaly. We picked a very good time to get good.

Are you trying to say we're sneaking up on people?

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    are you trying to say we're sneaking up on people?
    yes!! That is what we do!!