Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rolling Stones Finale Tour

Going tonight in Jacksonville.

Have never been to a Stones concert.

It's a little late for tips, but anyone who has attended one, please chime in for any thoughts you may have about a Stones concert.
    X A V I E R

Saw the Stones for my FIRST concert ever in the Bills stadium outside of Buffalo, maybe 1975. THAT was an eye opening experience for this young lad!

I’ve seen them a couple times since, but as they say, there’s nothing like the first time! YOWZA!

I went to see the Stones in 1994 as I figured it was my last chance to do so. Voodoo Lounge Tour at the Hoosier Dome. Guess I had just a bit more time than I thought!

Tell my mom and brother hello tonight!

Not only was the crowd massive, the music amazing followed by incredible fireworks, but people spray painted bedsheets to make “menus” of the “inventory” they were selling (complete with prices), and hung them from the upper deck. It was like this teenager had gone through the looking glass!

How was the show?

Truly outstanding, and on different levels.

These guys are obviously true showmen.

But here's my main observation: the technology. This was held in an NFL stadium, yet the sound was spot on - clear and amped. Better yet - and I'm not exaggerating; trying to be as accurate as possible - they had a 4-rectangular box set-up of video boards with two behind the main stage and two flanking each side of it. Now here's the thing - I think the dimensions were 10 wide by 40 high by 3-5 deep. IN YARDS. They otherwise had the runway stage set-up they've used in other tours.

THIS WAS A SHOW.

I would have liked a little more out of GIVE ME SHELTER - the whole thing seemed set-up to take advantage of a song like that, but really no complaints across the board. The encore was Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash.

What ended up being crazy here was the weather. It was very hot during the day and threatening rain all day, but the concert was nothing but mid 70's. A nice breeze to boot. Just perfect.

Final "level"? In they're 70's and they poured themselves into it.
    X A V I E R

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed it!

I’m curious regarding an ongoing argument on my Buffalo Bills board.....how was the traffic in and out? I’ve been to a few games in that stadium, and I don’t remember it as an issue. Some folks who attended last night are using as an excuse to keep the Bills stadium out in the boondocks that is Orchard Park. They look for any excuse to avoid a downtown stadium. Was it a big deal? I assume the field had seating, but not behind the stage, so I wonder how attendance compares to an NFL game?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I went to see the Stones in 1994 as I figured it was my last chance to do so. Voodoo Lounge Tour at the Hoosier Dome. Guess I had just a bit more time than I thought!

Tell my mom and brother hello tonight!
    I would have bought them beers/cocktails if I knew they were coming, and if you had introduced me!
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed it!

I’m curious regarding an ongoing argument on my Buffalo Bills board.....how was the traffic in and out? I’ve been to a few games in that stadium, and I don’t remember it as an issue. Some folks who attended last night are using as an excuse to keep the Bills stadium out in the boondocks that is Orchard Park. They look for any excuse to avoid a downtown stadium. Was it a big deal? I assume the field had seating, but not behind the stage, so I wonder how attendance compares to an NFL game?
    I heard they had 60k last night. On field replaced what was lost in the north end zone due to the stage.

Traffic flowed well, but Jville police know how to move it.

Personally, a city like Buffalo should have its stadium downtown for purposes of economic development. Look at Cleveland when it finally wised up about it's NBA arena.

BTW, a neat thing about Jax is the ability to come by water.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I heard they had 60k last night. On field replaced what was lost in the north end zone due to the stage.

Traffic flowed well, but Jville police know how to move it.

Personally, a city like Buffalo should have its stadium downtown for purposes of economic development. Look at Cleveland when it finally wised up about it's NBA arena.

BTW, a neat thing about Jax is the ability to come by water.

A lot of people argue against a new stadium, especially downtown. Traffic is usually the first point they argue, but I’ve found downtown stadiums like Jax, or Cincinnati for that matter, offer more options in terms of roads leading away from the stadium. Works fine for me.

The Bills owners bought the Sabres before buying the Bills. They have already invested heavily improving the downtown area, and I expect that to continue when the Bills get their new stadium. A roof, retractable or otherwise, would not surprise me either to allow for more than just football games. It’s amazing how far one multi-billionaire can go in almost single handedly turning a city around!