Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA Women WC

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Well, yeah. Read that last paragraph again.
    Read it again and it makes no difference...shes an idiot.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Yes let's talk about context. The number of slaves brought to this country was extremely small compared to South America and the Caribbean. And they were traded by their own peoples as a commodity. It was a different time and a different world.
    But we can all agree here in 2019, using the power of hindsight, that slavery was evil, right? Over the long arc of history we can now look back at decisions made in 1700's, 1800's, and 1900's and second guess whether they were the right call? Similarly it is very likely in 40 years we will look back at some of the decisions made in the early 2000's through now and cringe.

So it is not inconsistent for one to absolutely love their country but be critical of some of the decisions of that country. Being against the President doesn't mean you are not a patriot. That is what Rapinoe is saying.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

The USA isn't guilty of shit. White men didn't hunt black men down and enslave them. They were a commodity sold by their own peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Another day, another stupid thing to come out of Rapinoe's mouth: "We were founded upon slavery...."

Wow, just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post

I think this country was founded on a lot of great ideals, but it was also founded on slavery.
    Do some of you all honestly not see the difference between her actual words (the second sentence) and the way she's taken out of context, and misquoted dropping the word "also." in the first?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Do some of you all honestly not see the difference between her actual words (the second sentence) and the way she's taken out of context, and misquoted dropping the word "also." in the first?
    Apparently not. Hope they are not Xavier grads. If they are, Xavier did not teach them reading comprehension very well.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Supporting Member
    Meh forget it.
    Last edited by Xville; 07-04-2019 at 12:26 PM.

I totally agree. They need to stop playing the national anthem at sporting events. Why politicize an entertainment experience?
    I wish we could separate politics from patriotism. When I hear the Anthem, I think about all those brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for this country. Honestly, I don’t think about who’s in public office or their political beliefs.

If you take away the Anthem, IMO we’re taking away the opportunity for thousands to say thank you. I’m embarrassed to say I certainly don’t give enough of my gratitude. Except for an occasional handshake when I see someone wearing a veteran hat or buying a lunch for someone in uniform (minus the Holidays of course).

And yes, the Anthem means different things for different folks so I respect your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    I think this country was founded on a lot of great ideals, but it was also founded on slavery.
    Which was perfectly legal at the time, and still exists in parts of the world. We're applying today's morals to a very different time. Get over it already.

If we want to do that, then every group of people who ever, at any time in history, took land from any other group of people must be condemned. Let's see, that's just about every country on the planet. As someone else mentioned, the slaves from Africa were sold into slavery by their fellow Africans. Where's the condemnation of that? Where does it end?
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    I wish we could separate politics from patriotism. When I hear the Anthem, I think about all those brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for this country. Honestly, I don’t think about who’s in public office or their political beliefs.

If you take away the Anthem, IMO we’re taking away the opportunity for thousands to say thank you. I’m embarrassed to say I certainly don’t give enough of my gratitude. Except for an occasional handshake when I see someone wearing a veteran hat or buying a lunch for someone in uniform (minus the Holidays of course).

And yes, the Anthem means different things for different folks so I respect your opinion.
    Happy Fourth to all. Be thankful we live in this country. But we need to be more tolerant of others if our country is to continue to be great.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Supporting Member
    Happy Fourth to all. Be thankful we live in this country. But we need to be more tolerant of others if our country is to continue to be great.
    People like rapinoe are tolerant and inclusive as long as it is with people that agree with them.