Page 33 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Recruits

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU22 View Post
    Wasn't all about the other kid. Although it definitely helped.

Carlson believed the Big Ten was going to be a better place to showcase his skills, face better bigs, face better competition overall, etc. Gard was selling him on being Frank Kaminsky 2.0 (which is a bit of stretch but okay...), they were telling the kid he can start from Day 1, selling they are closer to home, and his friend going there is just the cherry on top.

Kids change their minds all the time.

I like the Mitchell kid, but I could also see Steele going with a 5th year just wanting someone who is ready to contribute now.
    the playing time thing makes a lot of sense, we just brought in 3 guys at that position basically and already have carter as well. he'd have serious competition for minutes

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    the playing time thing makes a lot of sense, we just brought in 3 guys at that position basically and already have carter as well. he'd have serious competition for minutes
    He was seen as a complementary player to the three big men we brought in and a replacement to Carter. X was selling him on being a frosh with Carter as a senior and then take over after Carter. X couldn't offer immediate minutes but the "4" position gets thin very quickly once Carter is gone which is why X put on the full court press with Carlson. He was a definite need and not seen as a luxury.

Bag the scholly. Steele will pull off another incredible deal.
    2023 Sweet 16

It may come across as sounding like sour grapes, but in all honesty, I was just never “wowed” by what I saw from Carlson in the paint. He looks to me like a less mobile and much less physical version of Fremantle. It’s nice that he can shoot from outside, but I would love us to get someone with a little bit more toughness and physicality.

I feel like the coaches will end up finding someone who’s an even better fit for the team.

Last edited by IM4X; 09-18-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Unless you base your hopes on crystal balls this is not a shocker. He didn’t commit after his official visit. He didn’t commit after the ENTIRE COACHING STAFF flew to Minnesota the following week to get him to commit. And that’s ok. He is a good player but we aren’t talking about a top of the line 5 star recruit that’ll vault the program into another tier.

A 5th year senior is a good idea especially if he’s a glue guy/defender guy

Yeah, let's not throw shade on this kid's playing ability. He's one of the top forwards in the class. That's what the program is after, every single year. UofW got a good one for sure.

Steele, John Brannen, and Kenny Payne from UK all in today for JJ Traynor.

https://247sports.com/Player/JJ-Traynor-46086255/

Quote Originally Posted by XU22 View Post
    Steele, John Brannen, and Kenny Payne from UK all in today for JJ Traynor.

https://247sports.com/Player/JJ-Traynor-46086255/
    Steele is a stone cold recruiter.....Carlson bails and he’s already back in there swinging! According to the 247 timeline, X must have just offered him today!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 09-19-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Unfazed by the Carlson situation, looks like Coach is determined to add a 2020 frontcourt guy. Nice to see him continue being aggressive in targeting 4 Star talent but if that doesn’t pan out Freemantle should tell Coach to apply the “bring a friend” strategy and offer Matt Zona of Bergman Catholic. He and ZFree had great chemistry and success playing together and are most certainly good friends. He’s kinda a more rugged version of Carlson anyway. Rising 3 Star and his recruitment is picking up. Just received offer from Vandy along with others from Notre Dame and Penn State.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 09-19-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Supporting Member
    I'm not really impressed by Steele moving on to other guys in the pipeline. That is an expectation of the job...just like in corporate sales, keep the pipeline full enough so that if you lose out on one, you still have enough to fall back on.

What I will be impressed with though, is if he can close one of these guys.