Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So Fox has pretty much committed to having every Big East game on one of their channels... although I know there's some on CBS Sports every now and then... not sure why but they are relatively few. By adding UConn that adds another 20 conference games to their slate of coverage (roughly two games per week). I guess that means the conference season will start even earlier (before Christmas possibly??). IDK... but I hope that doesn't mean the FS1's schedule is full and they'll have to start pushing games to FS2, which I'm guessing 80% of people don't have right now. At this point, I'm all for this (especially if X can maintain their winning percentage). Adds another media market, adds another big name which is on the road to recovery (so it appears), adds appeal for recruiting (both men's and women's bball) and adds another team that will be coming to Cintas that I never thought 20+ years ago that I'd EVER see on our home court. The icing on the cake is that is makes the aac even less relevant.
    That "insider" info about the NBE ratings being much better than forecast is very interesting though. I've been wondering if Fox has been happy since the contract and if they were going to come back to the table and say "well this hasn't lived up expectations so if you want to stay with us here's a new contract for 50% of what we were paying". Seems like that is not the case and this addition should only help when it comes to renegotiation time.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by surfxu View Post
    So Fox has pretty much committed to having every Big East game on one of their channels... although I know there's some on CBS Sports every now and then... not sure why but they are relatively few. By adding UConn that adds another 20 conference games to their slate of coverage (roughly two games per week). I guess that means the conference season will start even earlier (before Christmas possibly??). IDK... but I hope that doesn't mean the FS1's schedule is full and they'll have to start pushing games to FS2, which I'm guessing 80% of people don't have right now. At this point, I'm all for this (especially if X can maintain their winning percentage). Adds another media market, adds another big name which is on the road to recovery (so it appears), adds appeal for recruiting (both men's and women's bball) and adds another team that will be coming to Cintas that I never thought 20+ years ago that I'd EVER see on our home court. The icing on the cake is that is makes the aac even less relevant.
    That "insider" info about the NBE ratings being much better than forecast is very interesting though. I've been wondering if Fox has been happy since the contract and if they were going to come back to the table and say "well this hasn't lived up expectations so if you want to stay with us here's a new contract for 50% of what we were paying". Seems like that is not the case and this addition should only help when it comes to renegotiation time.
    At the risk of oversimplifying this, the reality of the situation is that FS1 simply needs programming (and if they also try to expand FS2), and the Big East provides a lot of that during the winter months. There are Big Ten and Pac 12 games on FS1, but the overwhelming majority of games the network broadcasts are Big East games. Starting a 24 hour sports network the way they did a couple years ago isn't easy, especially when other conferences' rights are already taken.

I think this situation is compounded by the fact that Fox lost rights to the UFC this year. UFC related properties tended to be the highest rated things on FS1 and FS2. Having lost that, Fox has even more hours that need filled.

For example, this Thursday night, FS1's 8:00 broadcast is "ARCA Auto Racing" while FS2 is showing "Red Bull X Fighters." The options in the winter are even more limited. The network would obviously much rather broadcast live sports content, especially from one of the best basketball leagues in the country. This gives the Big East a fair amount of leverage.

I think adding UConn will get everybody a raise and maybe an extension. All this stuff has been worked out way before the announcement.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    I think adding UConn will get everybody a raise and maybe an extension. All this stuff has been worked out way before the announcement.
    That could cause heads to explode across town. Although Mick's departure is now looking even better for him.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surfxu View Post
    The B1G started their 20-game conference schedule last year; they played a pair of conference games in early December while students were still on-campus and prior to finals.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Exactly. Could you imagine the presidents going with the UCONN thumbs up without having consulted their FOX contacts firstly.
    X A V I E R

How would you guys feel about $6mm per year:

https://twitter.com/ADimeBack/status...47660764372993

Not a done deal, but that's the buzz that's floating around out there.

Can you imagine if you were a fan of a team that wanted into the NBE badly but didn't make the cut, having to read that news!

I do seriously believe the figure is going to adjust up for all BE members as a result of this, we'll just have to wait and see how big of a bump actually takes place.
    Last edited by xudash; 06-25-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    How would you guys feel about $6mm per year:

https://twitter.com/ADimeBack/status...47660764372993

Not a done deal, but that's the buzz that's floating around out there.

Can you imagine if you were a fan of a team that wanted into the NBE badly but didn't make the cut, having to read that news!

I do seriously believe the figure is going to adjust up for all BE members as a result of this, we'll just have to wait and see how big of a bump actually takes place.
    The fact that we are going to be making close to as much as the American without the revenue driver that is college football is beyond amusing. AAC schools are getting just under 7 mil a year. I'm guessing if you allocated that between sports, that would have their basketball team bringing in around 2 mil a year with football around 5?

UConn will come out ahead, because they'll be able to sell their football tv rights to make up the difference and more.

Sophomore
    nevermind on that...
    Last edited by XU_Lou; 06-25-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    The fact that we are going to be making close to as much as the American without the revenue driver that is college football is beyond amusing. AAC schools are getting just under 7 mil a year. I'm guessing if you allocated that between sports, that would have their basketball team bringing in around 2 mil a year with football around 5?

UConn will come out ahead, because they'll be able to sell their football tv rights to make up the difference and more.
    Yep. Now factor in the travel budgets for AAC schools. Brutal.
    X A V I E R