Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I know Barstool isn't the most reputable site, but Reags is pretty damn knowledgable on college basketball, and is pretty good at reporting stories, I think this answers a lot of your questions:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...etball-program
    I see how this helps UConn.
    How does this benefit X?

UConn is a good "name" but they are struggling.

Now BE schools split the $ among 11 schools. Maybe X gets a better TV deal package.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Seems like less money for everyone now and more of a shot in the dark if this would improve the quality of competition.
    There shouldn't be a reduction in revenue for any member if UConn is added. Fox made provisions to add up to 2 with money holding constant.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    May be unpopular here, but I for one am disappointed the conference didn't try to hold at 10 schools and try to make things build up even better in the current mix of programs. Seems like less money for everyone now and more of a shot in the dark if this would improve the quality of competition.

Their best sport in the last few seasons is women's basketball, which may help competition rise the Big East overall, but it didn't in the AAC, so no certainty there. They also have decent teams in baseball and women's soccer. Men's basketball might bounce back, but we can't say that for sure. It's a big gamble that the school will like in the short term. I'm just hoping the conference really enjoys it in the long term. A lot has changed in the past six-seven years.

If the school and state are smart they'll wind the football program down. Football has been hugely popular nationwide, but that trend will reverse or at least slow down and if they are having major money issues now, it's not going to get any better. Taxpayers don't expect to be holding something like this up that loses so much forever.

I don't hate the idea of UCONN to the Big East, but I would have liked it better when we first joined rather than now. Now there are more doubts if they improve things.
    You are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinion, but I don't think you're looking at this very clearly.

UCONN basketball already is coming back under Hurley. But much bigger than that is the fact that UCONN will have a major impact on the next television deal for the BIG EAST. Beyond that, is it even necessary to mention how difficult it is going to become getting tickets to the tournament at MSG?

This is a grand slam for the BIG EAST and for Xavier.

In fact, if you were looking at it from one very specific point of you, it could very well crush the aspirations of the UD basketball program, as delusional as they tend to exist. That likely happens if the Big East stops at 11, which is very likely so long as FOX is satisfied with the content inventory at that level and the conference continues to want to preserve the double Robin Robin format (very likely). It further happens should the AAC invite VCU as a response to Connecticut's departure. Think about this: with the sweater vest generation moving along, the younger kids are not going to sustain a high level of excitement over constant doses of LaSalle and Duquesne and St. Bonaventure.

I've been thinking about this all day, since I caught wind of it last night. In my opinion, this is huge news for Xavier. I for one am not worried about the P5 breaking away, as are some people. I just don't see it. I just cannot see a media package that makes sense as compared to the existing NCAA tournament deal and I believe the politics involved are too risky for the big schools. If a challenge is coming, it probably takes the form of funding sufficient to pay players to keep us reasonably competitive.

All that aside, the fact that the BIG EAST is materially shoring up its position, especially with respect to what probably is going to happen with its next media rights deal, enables me to believe that Xavier is firmly in the club for the future.
    X A V I E R

You're assuming UCONN improves and adds value to men's basketball in the conference. That's not a sure thing. They were at the bottom of conference standings last season and recruiting hasn't offered much hope. Hurley does, but you never know.

I don't care about UD or if they sell more tickets at Big East tournament. They already have the strongest attendance and UD is never on the radar.

I do care about the level of competition for the student athletes, what it offers for fans, and if XU still has a good shot to excel in the standings. I think some of that is really questionable with the move and they already had one of the better situations in the country that didn't need fixing.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Dana O'Neill wrote a very good article for The Athletic about the BE and UConn.

In it she wrote UConn gets $7 million from the AAC ESPN TV package.

She mentioned Fox Sports package with BE schools was about mega (i forgot)million. How much of that goes to X? Or is it equally divided among the non-disclosing private schools?
    Last edited by xukeith; 06-22-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Someone made the observation that the AAC could stay at 11 and not add to replace UConn.
    Then they could play a 20 game round robin like us.

Ok this hilarious (at least I think so), UC fans are now downgrading UConn since they’ve been in the ACC. sUCKs fans say they haven’t done anything since joining the league. UConn fans, “what about a NCAA championship in 2014?” UC fans, well that’s because you just came out the Big East with talent...what?

Did UConn get worse when they had ACC talent? Maybe, certainly coaching was a problem.

Finally, UConn fans state they’ve won 4 titles in last 20 years. UC fans say you have to go back 20 years. Is this this the same fans that go back to the 60’s when they talk about UC vs X dominance? Hmmm.

Sophomore
    this is just a wonderful day to browse twitter. so many great takes
    https://twitter.com/fredmartin0028/s...41382202155008
    one of my faves

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Ok this hilarious (at least I think so), UC fans are now downgrading UConn since they’ve been in the ACC.
    UC fans can only dream of being in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    UC fans can only dream of being in the ACC.
    Lol...knew I’d make that mistake one day. Good catch!