Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    If they're champions of ???, then we're champions of XXX.
    Ha, those were emojis that didn't translate. It's basketball, basketball, and field hockey.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    And right on cue...ESPN reprises its "Requiem for the Big East": https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/index.
    Fake sports news.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Maybe Jones and Marshall would not have come to X if UConn was in the BE 3 years ago.

It will help recruiting and attendance.

One twitter comment regarding this was 20 conference games and 5 Philly games for Villanova leaves them little room to schedule outside a 3 game holiday tourney.
    Villanova likes 20 BE games vs 18?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It might also mean that they don't play a true round robin Big 5, which would be a potential downside. I don't think it would happen as long as Jay Wright is coach, but a future Nova coach might not be as keen to playing other Big 5 schools (which is 4 games, not 5).

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Fox and the Big East signed a 12-year $500 million agreement in 2013, with the potential to see that number jump to $600 million if the league were to expand from ten schools to 12. So I'm guessing going to 11 will not split the $.
    Plus UConn has a huge following in the East and should pack arenas and the MSG, help us with Inter-conference games and extensions of the MSG and Fox contracts. Great deal for X and the conference.
    UCONN has such a strong + relatively recent BE history, its return will strengthen an already powerful conference even more. Yes, it will mean that X has to further improve its recruiting and on court performance. But, a rising tide lifts all boats. If you are a local kid, you can come to X and play the likes of Nova, Georgetown or UCONN, etc. etc. Or, you can go to UC and play SMU, Tulane and East Carolina. Only an idiot would choose UC.

But, I wonder if adding UCONN makes it nearly inevitable the conference will expand to twelve. The additional $100 million is a strong incentive for adding just one more member. And money does talk.

If the BE goes to 12, it might mean splitting the conference into East + West, perhaps playing only home and away games within each region while rotating annual home and away outside of the region. What I'm suggesting is pure speculation, for sure. But, if BE goes to twelve members, playing both home and away games with each conference member would leave little opportunity for out of conference opponents. For X, how would we fit UCLA into our schedule?

And, although not a popular suggestion on this board, if BE goes to twelve and if I have a vote it would be to admit the Dayton Liars. Yes. There I've said it---excommunicate me for sure. But, here's why...……..

Yes UD, its an institution with fake academics and a student body which spends its entire four years on campus drunk and/or high, making not even a pretense at gaining an education. Yes, it is a school that has ridden the XU coattails through multiple conferences while making few, if any, positive contributions along the way. As an institution, they lied to their fellow members about their intention to leave the MCC and in the nearly 170 years of its existence UD has produced not even one, that's right, not one successful alum.

But, without question, UD has college basketball's most annoying fans. And, what is more satisfying than watching the Muskies go into UD arena to give the Liars and their irritating fan base of troublesome little twats, the annual smackdown they so deserve? Nothing is more satisfying than that unless it is administering that drubbing to them twice annually.

I would be okay with 12 it were Kentucky.

Sophomore
    Please never post again Jamal. I agree with Waggy

1. We worked hard and long to separate our program from VD and become the obvious 1st choice for the BE realignment. They haven't.
    2. Everybody, coaches, players and fans LOVE the Round Robin.
    3. All the reasons you listed NOT to play VD.
    4. If VD was to get in the BE, we would have to go through recruiting battles for the same midwestern/national prospects. Right now, our recruiting is FAR above theirs. No prospect would ever consider VD over X.
    5. The A10 will be the 12th conference if VCU leaves to the AAC. Why would we pick a school from a Deadpool.
    6. I'd prefer a H/H with Gonzaga every year.
    7. I'm enjoying the meltdown on the VD board.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 06-23-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    1. We worked hard and long to separate our program from VD and become the obvious 1st choice for the BE realignment. They haven't.
    2. Everybody, coaches, players and fans LOVE the Round Robin.
    3. All the reasons you listed NOT to play VD.
    4. If VD was to get in the BE, we would have to go through recruiting battles for the same midwestern/national prospects. Right now, our recruiting is FAR above theirs. No prospect would ever consider VD over X.
    5. The A10 will be the 12th conference if VCU leaves to the AAC. Why would we pick a school from a Deadpool.
    6. I'd prefer a H/H with Gonzaga every year.
    What he said. How idiotic to think that VD belongs in our conference. We bailed them once, helping them get into the A-10. Never again. And I can't see the BE going to 12 teams when 11 suits H-H scheduling perfectly. The league might expand if the Zags come asking, but surely not for the sweater vest crowd.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

X should forever be against any further expansion beyond 11. Reason it means divisions, and then you don't get to play the eastern teams twice. It's best for X to have round robin.