Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Please never post again Jamal. I agree with Waggy
    Massive Ditto.

Jamal, you have lost your f'ing mind. You are basing your reasoning on putting annoying fans in their place, yet they would still be annoying. Hell, they would make stupid excuses (e.g. cheesesteak sandwich indigestion) when we would beat them like a drum. They actually thought they were going to give us a good game in Orlando. We would have to live with all that regardless of game outcomes, even more so, if VD were allowed in the BE.

It isn't happening.

What you don't appear to understand is that this kind of actually and very much so has VERY LITTLE to do with basketball. This is a strategic issue for Xavier. Xavier's goal is to continue to raise its institutional profile, becoming the premier Catholic institution of higher learning in Ohio. Actually, it's about more than that when it comes to positioning, but the immediate topic is mostly about VD. We're close if not already there in actuality on the Ohio thing anyway, but X wants to clean up its position in some of the ranking services to close whatever image gap may exist, especially at the national level.

The endowment is heading to $300 million.

An additional $80 million is going into the capital improvements/projects account.

And the annual fund is getting deeper.

Xavier's move into the Big East and now UCONN solidifying an already strong BE conference places Xavier with a strong tailwind. UD is facing increasing headwinds in its situation. THAT is exactly the way we want it and want it to stay.

And when it gets back to basketball specifically, WAGGY and BOBBIE are spot on. Xavier's recruiting (i.e. student recruiting, not athletes) out of the tri-state region is steadily increasing. That's no accident.

One last thing. You noted the following: But, I wonder if adding UCONN makes it nearly inevitable the conference will expand to twelve. The additional $100 million is a strong incentive for adding just one more member. And money does talk.

The additional $100 million incentive has to make monetary sense to FOX in order for it to trigger. UCONN was an obvious trigger from 10 to 11. No existing mid-major is positioned well enough at this time to trigger this gig from 11 to 12. Otherwise, Gonzaga still remains in Spokane, WA. The Zags had better pray to God that Few lives forever, or that they experience a smooth coaching transition when his time comes to step down. It's like Xavier is in a fleet of high-tech, powerful warships, and Gonzaga is like one of those ships, but surrounded by a WCC fleet of plywood PT boats.
    Last edited by xudash; 06-23-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    X A V I E R

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    What he said. How idiotic to think that VD belongs in our conference. We bailed them once, helping them get into the A-10. Never again. And I can't see the BE going to 12 teams when 11 suits H-H scheduling perfectly. The league might expand if the Zags come asking, but surely not for the sweater vest crowd.
    I'm a little confused. Are you saying you are against it?

Supporting Member
    Why do so many assume the BE needs 12 ? They don't. If they did, they would have already been there.
    Also, why do so many assume if 12, the BE would split into divisions ? No one does that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    Why do so many assume the BE needs 12 ? They don't. If they did, they would have already been there.
    Also, why do so many assume if 12, the BE would split into divisions ? No one does that anymore.
    Just follow the money......always. If it means a bigger TV deal, then they will go to 12.

No reason IMHO to NEED to add another program soon unless that program would add significant value. UD doesn't do that. St Louis doesn't do that. Gonzaga.........yes, that would. Memphis would, but I'm not a big fan of their program.....at all.

Sophomore
    I thought this article from UConn’s perspective was good. https://www.nhregister.com/sports/ar...edium=referral.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    X should forever be against any further expansion beyond 11. Reason it means divisions, and then you don't get to play the eastern teams twice. It's best for X to have round robin.
    What he said. I really like the round robin and playing everyone home and home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that the WCC made a sweetheart deal to keep Gonzaga in the conference. They reduced their number of conference games to 16 so they could schedule more quality OOC games. Plus, they also get a bigger share of their conference tournament units.

Honestly, the only other program even worth considering would be Notre Dame if the ACC ever decided to divorce them because of their insistence on football independence. Even that ain't happening.

The Gonzaga thing would be great, but the huge challenge for them would be the amount of travel time in the air going back and forth from Spokane. Doesnt seem like a big deal, but it would be. Thats 5-6 hours in the air each way for almost every trip. I just don't see it working.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    7. I'm enjoying the meltdown on the VD board.
    agreed. this move has provided tremendous message board and twitter entertainment from all kinds of places

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    agreed. this move has provided tremendous message board and twitter entertainment from all kinds of places
    The mental gymnastics the UD and UC fans are doing over the UConn is nothing short of hilarious.