More UCONN Smoke

It's the summertime, what the hell.

From the HLOH site:

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uco...he-nbe.144423/
    X A V I E R

Fun to speculate, but I think I agree with the poster who's questioning the original. Why would UCONN's president be allowed to make a decision 2 years after she leaves? And then another poster saying that blowing up football would actually hurt them as the Big East's media rights are less than the new deal the AAC worked out. I know football is burning a hole into UCONN's pockets, it'll be interesting moving forward. I think it's possible for sure for UCONN to think about this.

Ackerman said in a Forbes article that numerous schools have reached out to the Big East in interest in joining, I would be shocked if UCONN weren't on that list, but the Big East media rights don't end until 2025, so that would give 4 years (if the original poster is correct) of having to share profits with another school, and most likely if we take 1, we take 2 schools to keep the conference numbers on par, who'd be the other school that's marketable as good as UCONN is, that doesn't have a football program/would drop a football program. The logistics on expansion is tough, I'd love to see UCONN join, because of the history UCONN basketball has had, and I think they'll be competitive again with Hurley, but I'm also pretty content getting a bigger piece of the pie with 10 teams, as our 10 teams so far have been pretty damn competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    It's the summertime, what the hell.

From the HLOH site:

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uco...he-nbe.144423/
    Jesus, those people are miserable. And, to be honest, I rather enjoy their misery. Fuck UConn fans.

But I hope they someday drag their miserable asses to the Big East!

I don't really care. But maybe they wake up and figure that football is killing their balance sheet.
    And if we go to a 20 game round robin we'll need one more team. So...come on down UConn.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Now, I’m a BIG college football fan and don’t want to see any CFB program disbanded, but you can only expect the student body fees and the state to bail out a program for so long. It is a HUGE drain on almost any athletic department budget. Don’t know how much UConn is losing on football every year, but it sure wouldn’t surprise me if it was 20 million or more. They draw very very few fans and the program is way behind most others in the AAC, with little talent in the roster or pipeline, so I don’t expect their attendance to be improving any time soon.

The question may be......do they take an extra 10 million dollar shot now or do they just continue to lose 10-20 million every year for the seeable future?

I think that it is a question that A LOT of schools are debating and not just UCONN.

It could even be a more crucial question if they actually go to where they are paying players directly. If they are losing money now, how much more would they be losing if they had to pay the players?

It does not appear to be a $20 million annual loss:

"Right now the status quo is a $40m annual deficit paid with public dollars from an unbalanced state budget."

Big losses.

A state that is in terrible shape fiscally.

No end in sight on the hemorrhaging.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    And if we go to a 20 game round robin we'll need one more team. So...come on down UConn.
    This. I love the round robin. Adding two more teams would end that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Leave it at 10 teams. 5-6 teams in big Dance every year and we all split big piece of pie.

BTW, I believe their share of credits from the Big East break up (2014) expire in 2020.

I can't imagine that the Big East leadership would ever blow up the round robin format. Accordingly, if we expand, it will be by one team, regardless of whether or not Fox would still be amenable to resetting the contract for 12 teams.

The Big East is performing exceedingly well. I would think that any objective person would come to that conclusion. I have to believe that the leadership knows it can be patient when it comes to expansion.

UCONN does not have a prayer in hell of making it into the P5. We will see if they are smart enough to "come home", assuming they are still worth having at that point.
    X A V I E R