Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Looking very good, hopefully these games will hold me over until November. Naji surprised me a bit with the back and forth trash talk. Good to know this team has passion. The newcomers look awesome. Given the recruiting, and what we've seen so far, it's hard to be negative about the future of X basketball. Travis Steele is the man!

Cheers! This will be fun!

btw, how great is it to see our muskies preseason? Thanks XU and flosports!

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    What is up with your obsession with Myles Hanson? His status is no mystery. He is a walk-on. They gave him a scholarship last year since they had extra. He won't really play unless if it is an emergency situation. The only minutes he played in spain game 2 were the last 3 minutes of the game up by like 35 against some Spanish bums who were dead at that point.

Also, coach is definitely not tinkering with a Freemantle/Carter/Jones front court. That makes absolutely no sense with this roster.
    Happy to respond.

It’s not a obsession by any means. More curiosity than anything Yes, he’s a walk on. It’s just that he IS a very high level athlete physically with good size and intellect. Some here have offered there opinions on what his role might be but very little said from the coaching staff or media, other than Coach Steele did say in an interview last year that “He can embarrass people if they’re not giving 100%”. He did see 19 games of D1 action as a freshman including 19 minutes vs Nova and managed some production, so no question he can play at this level. That said, he has been active in the program for over a year now and has the physical tools to contribute. Is he out playing James in practice at the 3? Maybe. Is he ahead of Ramsey in some areas? Probably.

So, the question becomes who will spell Marshall at the 3. I did read where Bishop has played some SF in practice but like I said, I wasn’t able to see any Spain action so IDK who was filling that role when Naj was sitting. Thus my Zach/Ty/Jason frontcourt option. It was a question NOT a prediction.

By the way, it was Schrand that apparently had free tuition last year, not Hanson.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Happy to respond.

It’s not a obsession by any means. More curiosity than anything Yes, he’s a walk on. It’s just that he IS a very high level athlete physically with good size and intellect. Some here have offered there opinions on what his role might be but very little said from the coaching staff or media, other than Coach Steele did say in an interview last year that “He can embarrass people if they’re not giving 100%”. He did see 19 games of D1 action as a freshman including 19 minutes vs Nova and managed some production, so no question he can play at this level. That said, he has been active in the program for over a year now and has the physical tools to contribute. Is he out playing James in practice at the 3? Maybe. Is he ahead of Ramsey in some areas? Probably.

So, the question becomes who will spell Marshall at the 3. I did read where Bishop has played some SF in practice but like I said, I wasn’t able to see any Spain action so IDK who was filling that role when Naj was sitting. Thus my Zach/Ty/Jason frontcourt option. It was a question NOT a prediction.

By the way, it was Schrand that apparently had free tuition last year, not Hanson.
    They both got scholarships last year, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    They both got scholarships last year, by the way
    If that’s the case, kudos to X for showing their appreciation. Especially for Myles since he had to sit out the year for transferring. Surprised that there was no mention of his status on this board, if there was I missed it. A 1st year ineligible walk on getting a scholarship would qualify as pretty unusual. Not that it matters much, it’s just that as an ardent fan I like to be as well informed as possible.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-15-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Interview with Steele after Spain.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...am/2019277001/

I know we’re basically only talking about three games that don’t really count but I couldn’t help but notice that only a few players looked good from 3. Other than Naji (7-17) and Tandy (6-14) and Zach (1 of 2), no players shot better than 30% from 3 for the three games - and some really struggled. Let’s hope it’s just a little new chemistry/overseas jitters.

Mack & now Steele like to keep (at least) 1 scholarship open in case a mid-season transfer comes along that you can't pass on. 13 scholarship limit. They had 10 scholarship players last season so they rewarded Schrand & Hanson with a 1-year scholarship. Since they have 12 scholarship players for this season I wouldn't expect any walk-ons to get scholarships, but I suppose they could give one out.

I was happy to hear about Dieonte being a bright spot. I mentioned that he probably got a lot of good experience in open courts in and around Cincinnati and I got attacked by the usual clueless dicks on here that like to argue on their keyboards. I just watched a video of Dieonte saying how much he played on open courts in and around Cincinnati too. Haha! I love it!

2023 Sweet 16

Yeah Dieonte looks like he has a high ceiling. I got my blue shades on.