Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spain Preparations/Summer BBall Activity

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where some of you insiders can post info leading up to Spain....Only 8 weeks away, that's about halfway to Musketeer Madness!

I notice that some or all of the guys will arrive on campus starting this week and some coordinated activity will begin. To what extent is allowed I have no idea but hoping some of you do. I also read where a series of full practices are permitted leading up the the Spain departure in August. Obviously this is a huge advantage over other teams that are not afforded this added time to gel.....not to mention the luxury of playing some real competition at full speed.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 06-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

I read somewhere that at this time the players are limited to 8 hours of organized activities....4 hours of training and 4 hours of court time.....per week. I’ve also seen where they can have 10 practice sessions in preparation for the Spain trip, but I’ve not sure what the limits are there as far as time and frequency.

Yeah,
    I am really interested to hear who shows up this week and participates in the 4 and 4 hour stuff. The S&C is a given but would love to know what the "organized activities" entail and if Coach and staff are hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Yeah,
    I am really interested to hear who shows up this week and participates in the 4 and 4 hour stuff. The S&C is a given but would love to know what the "organized activities" entail and if Coach and staff are hands on.
    I think that all of the freshman and returning players are on campus. I think the court time (with coaches) is mostly skills work and drills. But I’m quite sure that the players will find some time for some inter squad scrimmages on their own. I don’t think there is any limit on what they can do in the practices before the summer trip, but I’m sure there is a limit on the length of time they can practice during those sessions.

Edit..I just read the rules on this and the court time is limited to “skills instruction” Coaches are not allowed to participate in or even watch the strength and conditioning sessions, but there is no limit to the number of coaches allowed to participate in the skills sessions....which are limited to 2 hours per week.

Also, in order to participate all of the freshman must be enrolled in summer school. Returning players and transfers have different rules regarding their eligibility to participate.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 06-10-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I read somewhere that at this time the players are limited to 8 hours of organized activities....4 hours of training and 4 hours of court time.....per week. I’ve also seen where they can have 10 practice sessions in preparation for the Spain trip, but I’ve not sure what the limits are there as far as time and frequency.
    This is all true. With the addition that ALL players, new and returning, will be at XU starting this week. There isn't much vacation when you are a D1 College player. Add to that, there is a Summer Academic session starting July 1 that is over the time the team leaves for Spain. Some kids will be getting a head start on school now.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Took my boys to the Enes/Karem Kanter summer camp Monday night. Whole team was together with Steele in the film room.

Hopefully they can find a way to stream the games while they are in spain.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Took my boys to the Enes/Karem Kanter summer camp Monday night. Whole team was together with Steele in the film room.
    Can you give us a FULL report on this camp.....are they planning to make this an annual event?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Can you give us a FULL report on this camp.....are they planning to make this an annual event?
    I don't really know the full story. It kind of came up out of nowhere, I got an email about it from the Steele Camp people. It was free and three hours. And the Kanters are doing them around the country (https://themaestrosports.com/camps/#!/form). They gave kids pizza and t-shirts. In a cynical world, where little is done for free, I honestly have thought somehow there was more to the story. But it really seems the Kanters are just good dudes trying to do good deeds. It's pretty cool and refreshing.

More here: https://www.nola.com/pelicans/2019/0...w-orleans.html

For those of you not on Facebook, or not following Shannon Russell on there, she had a nice recap of the first practice in preparation for Spain. It lasted about 2.5 hours and some of the rookies were pretty exhausted by the end. The Core 4 were very vocal. Daniel Ramsey did not practice due to a minor knee sprain. Dahmir Bishop has trouble keeping his man in front of him during one on one drills, but had everyone cheering for him to get the drill completed.

Big difference in Travis’s presence compared to last year where it seemed everyone still thought of him as the associate head coach and he had to really yell at them to pay attention and not goof off. Not a problem this year. It’s his team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.