Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Mitchell can apparently jump higher. Paul is actually pretty athletic with speed and quickness. I was surprised Mitchell was only 6’1” without shoes. Paul if he comes back will get drafted.
    i agree, but yea im not saying paul isn't athletic, but mitchell is one of the best athletes in the league. paul is a pretty pedestrian nba level athlete.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    It’s young in the grand scheme I agree but to the NBA it is not. There just aren’t that many 22 year olds that get drafted high. The 2016 draft was pretty weak and had two guys that were “old” drafted relatively high. Kris Dunn and Buddy Hield. You could probably sell me on a Kris Dunn ceiling if I were drunk (which, I am right now) but not Buddy Hield and def not Donovan Mitchell. The only reason to stay is if nobody seems to give any interest and use that as motivation. If he settles on the Kaiser path then so be it...
    i don't necessarily think he'll be drafted high, but i do think he'll be drafted, which is a lot better than any of his current options.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    So, basically this PBC is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I wonder who is picking up the tab for airfare and accommodations for all these guys?
    that's not entirely true, it helped jp get a two way deal and it helped kaiser get in the chicago g league. and it helps paul and q get a little more exposure with scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    It's becoming more and more clear that more and more people think Q and Scruggs have NBA potential. That doesn't automatically equate to success, but in the mind of an 18 year old, it probably means it's gonna be really hard to stomach another year of school.
    OCCASIONALLY guys thoroughly enjoy the college experience. OCCASIONALLY they want to honor their commitment.....take care of unfinished business and give their all for the program.
    Signed Pollyanna
    Last edited by Xuperman; 05-27-2019 at 02:44 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

I have no idea what some of you are talking about. How does anyone leaving to play in Europe make any testament about the program? That is just silly. If anything, it says something about how the NCAA is failing to keep top talent, but as far as Xavier is concerned it means nothing.

Let's be real. Is some recruit going to say he isn't going to play for X cause guys left to go earn money? Or better yet, would you want Xavier to recruit lesser players so they stay 4 years? It's just silly

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Or better yet, would you want Xavier to recruit lesser players so they stay 4 years? It's just silly
    That questions then leads to another question....

Which is more valuable to the programs success.....a players that comes in and only stays 2 years, while playing a moderate level? Or a player that comes in, stays 4 years, and develops into a high level player?

Realistically there is no guarantee that any players will be either of those. There are players that only stay a couple of years, and there are players that have stayed 4 years, with neither ever becoming high level players. But I would contend that historically X has been better served by the players that stay 4 years, than it has been by those that have left early. X really hasn’t had any one and done players that have had great success while at X, or post X. It has had a few that stayed all 4 years and then had long NBA or overseas careers. From a financial point of view, even 1 year in the NBA outweighs several years in most overseas leagues.

If nothing else, from THIS fans perspective, I enjoy watching the players that stay and develop more than I do the ones that have come in and left early.

Travis interview with Andy Katz starts around 24 minute mark lasts 10 mins.

Travis mentions Dontarius James and a guy to make a big step next year along with a few other tidbits (Tyrique extending range?). Also some joking about Katz picking X 9th last year b

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    That questions then leads to another question....

Which is more valuable to the programs success.....a players that comes in and only stays 2 years, while playing a moderate level? Or a player that comes in, stays 4 years, and develops into a high level player?

Realistically there is no guarantee that any players will be either of those. There are players that only stay a couple of years, and there are players that have stayed 4 years, with neither ever becoming high level players. But I would contend that historically X has been better served by the players that stay 4 years, than it has been by those that have left early. X really hasn’t had any one and done players that have had great success while at X, or post X. It has had a few that stayed all 4 years and then had long NBA or overseas careers. From a financial point of view, even 1 year in the NBA outweighs several years in most overseas leagues.

If nothing else, from THIS fans perspective, I enjoy watching the players that stay and develop more than I do the ones that have come in and left early.
    Of course you get more joy out of seeing a player grow and develop all four years. I don't really remember any true one and done players at X.

I think a key point is the landscape of overseas bball is completely different these days. It is a much more lucrative option that the successful Xavier teams built around developed 4 year players didn't have. I also think guys are more realistic about their chances at making the NBA. They can head over to play bball and make decent money now or play another year in college then do it. I don't blame them one bit for leaving.

I know you aren't saying this, but for those saying "honor the scholarship" is a bad take, especially right after we have seen Mack and Mick just leave.

Scruggs and Jones coming back... no word on Q yet

It would be kind of hilarious if, out of the four guys, Q is the one to not return.