Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Nba

Supporting Member
    If you’re an undersized forward which sanogo and tshewbe are for the nba, you better have an outside shot and neither of them have really shown that they have one.

To your point, honestly I don’t think grant and/or hill would be drafted today. It’s just a completely different game

Funny Jokic went 41 during a taco bell commercial
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Sanogo not getting drafted was interesting.
    He’ll make a nice living overseas somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    If you’re an undersized forward which sanogo and tshewbe are for the nba, you better have an outside shot and neither of them have really shown that they have one.

To your point, honestly I don’t think grant and/or hill would be drafted today. It’s just a completely different game
    Sanogo actually shot .365 from 3 this year on 52 attempts. which isnt terrible, enough to be dangerous.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by webxu View Post
    Sanogo actually shot .365 from 3 this year on 52 attempts. which isnt terrible, enough to be dangerous.
    It’s not good when you are measured at 6’7 and lack nba athleticism. I like his game and he seems like a tremendous person and He could maybe play a role somewhere, someday but there’s a reason why he wasn’t drafted or I guess a few reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    And also Oscar Tshiebwe. I guess I'm just really out of touch with what the NBA is about these days. Makes you wonder if Tyrone Hill and Briant Grant would get drafted now.
    Keep in mind that nearly all frontline players in the NBA can shoot the 3 at least well enough to make the other team respect them which can draw the interior defense away from the basket.

Back in Hill and Grant time, that simply wasnt a necessary skill and the emphasis was more on post offense and defense.

My guess is that if those guys were playing today, they would be putting max effort into their outside shooting, cause it would be necessary. Cant compare their undeveloped shooting from an era where it wasnt needed to an era where they certainly would be working on it. not saying that EITHER of those guys would be a great shooter, but they certain would have put in the work.

A little further on this topic is DWest. West took exactly 1 3 point attempt in his first 2 years at XU. As a Junior he was 9 for 28 (.321%). As a senior he was 9 for 26 (.346%). In the NBA West was 57-215 in his career from 3. He played 1034 games. I cant imagine a guy like him wouldnt be expected to be amore prolific and productive deep shooter in todays NBA. I'm not sure he's even draftable with the skillset he had. But omn teh other hand, I'm sure he would have put more time into his shooting, and I'm confident that he could have developed into a servicable NBA 3 pt shooter.

Supporting Member
    In regards to west, I remember him having an excellent mid range game in the nba. He was at the end of his career when the nba game suddenly changed. I think had he entered the league in the last 5-10 years he would still be a great fit because I think he had the skills to be that floor spacer. He certainly would have developed that three point shot imo.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    In regards to west, I remember him having an excellent mid range game in the nba. He was at the end of his career when the nba game suddenly changed. I think had he entered the league in the last 5-10 years he would still be a great fit because I think he had the skills to be that floor spacer. He certainly would have developed that three point shot imo.
    Yeah West always had a great mid range game.

I do remember him being actively criticized by some while at the end of his time at Xavier that he was taking too many outside shots and not in the post enough trying to improve his NBA stock.

David West played another 9 years in the NBA after Curry entered the league in 2009, one of those years being an All star year. Not sure what the consensus is on when the NBA drastically changed strategy to emphasizing the 3 so much, but it wasn't too long after Curry entered the league and West played for quite a few more years, remaining very productive.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah West always had a great mid range game.

I do remember him being actively criticized by some while at the end of his time at Xavier that he was taking too many outside shots and not in the post enough trying to improve his NBA stock.

David West played another 9 years in the NBA after Curry entered the league in 2009, one of those years being an All star year. Not sure what the consensus is on when the NBA drastically changed strategy to emphasizing the 3 so much, but it wasn't too long after Curry entered the league and West played for quite a few more years, remaining very productive.
    You look at even curry… his three pts didn’t dramatically go up until his fourth year which was 12-13. To me that seems about right but I think it drastically changed when the warriors won their first title which was 14-15. I remember at that point everyone trying to be the warriors and “position less” basketball really exploded