Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Xavier Golf News

OK, one of you golf guys tell me what this means.

Garrett Woods (Xavier sophomore) won the individual BE men's golf title.
    The team finished 7th.

Junior Mikalya Fitzpatrick also won the women's title, as well as it seems the team won the BE title.

https://goxavier.com/news/2019/4/28/...ampionship.asp

He is going on to the NCAA championships later in May.

Are there also team NCAA championship rounds to be played? And if so, how does a person (like Mikalya) on a team play in both individual matches and team matches?

Thanks.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Its simple, there is an individual champion crowned and a team champion crowned.

The team championship is simply stroke play and I think they take the top 4-5 scores for each team. The team with the lowest combined score wins.

I'm still lost.
    When they go to the NCAA regionals, the Xavier team will not be going. But Garrett will go to play in individual competition.
    There should be some BE team there representing the BE, and teams from other conferences.
    If they play team matches, and there is a guy on a team who also qualified for individual honors (say someone from the ACC)...how does he also play individual matches against people like Garrett, who is there by himself.

I may have a blind spot about these and just can't see what you're saying.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm still lost.
    When they go to the NCAA regionals, the Xavier team will not be going. But Garrett will go to play in individual competition.
    There should be some BE team there representing the BE, and teams from other conferences.
    If they play team matches, and there is a guy on a team who also qualified for individual honors (say someone from the ACC)...how does he also play individual matches against people like Garrett, who is there by himself.

I may have a blind spot about these and just can't see what you're saying.
    Pretty sure this isnt match play.

Its all players playing their own ball and if you are there as a team, they combine the individual scores to make a "team" score.

As a former Xavier Golf Team Captain (many moons ago) but still connected to the Xavier Golf Family, we are all incredibly proud of Garrett's accomplishment! Amazingly enough, he's only been playing golf for 5 years- since his Sophomore year in High School. He also steeled a 20 foot birdie putt on the 18th & final hole to win outright by 1 shot. It is great to see that the program is on the rebound under Brian McCants. The Maketewah facility that many of us helped fund is a huge boon to the program.

As to how this works- there are actually 2 different National NCAA Tournaments. One is a 72 hole individual for 4 days then a match play for 2 days- but to get to the final tournament, you have to get through regional qualifying first. There are 6 regional sites with stroke play only. The Top 5 teams at each regional, with the lowest aggregate 5 player stroke total qualify for the Nationals plus the lowest 6 individuals whose team didn't qualify for the Nationals as a group.

Marquette won the Big East Team title. Garrett will only be competing in the individual Tournament. The women will play in the 72 hole qualifier, and if they make the Nationals, Mikalya will play in the individual tournament first from Friday to Monday with the rest of the Xavier team, then if they can finish with one of the low 8 Team aggregate scores, they then qualify for the two day team Match Play Tournament that starts on Tuesday.

Lots of golf potentially.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

Its all players playing their own ball and if you are there as a team, they combine the individual scores to make a "team" score.
    Yeah, pretty sure that's it. All the players just compete in stroke play, and at the end they also make a team score for the schools that are competing in the team portion of the event. If your team isn't in it, then the only difference for you is that your score isn't included in anyone's team score.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

It's Team Match Play when & if the Women's team get one of the lowest 8 team aggregate scores in the preceding individual National tournament, but they have to get through the regional stroke play first as one of the 5 lowest aggregate team totals in the Regionals.

Congrats Garrett and Mikayla!
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    As a former Xavier Golf Team Captain (many moons ago) but still connected to the Xavier Golf Family, we are all incredibly proud of Garrett's accomplishment! Amazingly enough, he's only been playing golf for 5 years- since his Sophomore year in High School. He also steeled a 20 foot birdie putt on the 18th & final hole to win outright by 1 shot. It is great to see that the program is on the rebound under Brian McCants. The Maketewah facility that many of us helped fund is a huge boon to the program.

As to how this works- there are actually 2 different National NCAA Tournaments. One is a 72 hole individual for 4 days then a match play for 2 days- but to get to the final tournament, you have to get through regional qualifying first. There are 6 regional sites with stroke play only. The Top 5 teams at each regional, with the lowest aggregate 5 player stroke total qualify for the Nationals plus the lowest 6 individuals whose team didn't qualify for the Nationals as a group.

Marquette won the Big East Team title. Garrett will only be competing in the individual Tournament. The women will play in the 72 hole qualifier, and if they make the Nationals, Mikalya will play in the individual tournament first from Friday to Monday with the rest of the Xavier team, then if they can finish with one of the low 8 Team aggregate scores, they then qualify for the two day team Match Play Tournament that starts on Tuesday.

Lots of golf potentially.
    I saw on another thread that you graduated in '72. I was there in the early 70's and routinely took the beer money from a handful of XU golfers. Would meet at Avon Fields after classes and play until leagues started. Never knew their full/real names but one guy was nicknamed "Minnow", another was simply Joe (I believe from Indianapolis), and a J.R. Green(something) from Kentucky. You wouldn't happen to be one of those guys would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    I saw on another thread that you graduated in '72. I was there in the early 70's and routinely took the beer money from a handful of XU golfers. Would meet at Avon Fields after classes and play until leagues started. Never knew their full/real names but one guy was nicknamed "Minnow", another was simply Joe (I believe from Indianapolis), and a J.R. Green(something) from Kentucky. You wouldn't happen to be one of those guys would you?
    Oh, yeah. I know all those guys!! "Minnow" was Ted Minorini- a year ahead of me. Joe was a year behind me and is still my good friend Joe Ford, who I play with in the AFO Golf Outing every year, and J.R. is J.R. Greenwell. I don't know if these other names ring a bell but they were two of our better players at the time- Don Roettker and Dick McPhail. Dick actually qualified for a US open and a few US Amateurs. I know that Don & Dick still carry mid single digit handicaps like me. Haven't heard from J.R. and Ted for a while, but Don & Dick are still in touch besides Joe.

If you took beer money from Joe and J.R. you should have come out for the team!!