Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFL Draft

I got a text today saying that Nebraska didn't have even one pick in the NFL draft. First time since 1962. Conversely, their sworn enemy rival (more from the pre-BIG 10 days than now), has had the last two Heisman Trophy winners and number one pick in each of the past two NFL drafts. Can't go too much farther in opposite directions. Tough days in Lincoln. Come to think of it, Oklahoma's coach is named Lincoln, so they even have that covered in OK.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    I got a text today saying that Nebraska didn't have even one pick in the NFL draft. First time since 1962. Conversely, their sworn enemy rival (more from the pre-BIG 10 days than now), has had the last two Heisman Trophy winners and number one pick in each of the past two NFL drafts. Can't go too much farther in opposite directions. Tough days in Lincoln. Come to think of it, Oklahoma's coach is named Lincoln, so they even have that covered in OK.
    Eh I don't know, Scott Frost is incredibly young and green into coaching, but he did have an insane turn around in just one year at UCF, I'd give him some time to get his recruits in and then assess what will happen with Nebraska, I don't think they'll be as good as they were in the past of course, but I do think there's potential there to be a solid program.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Eh I don't know, Scott Frost is incredibly young and green into coaching, but he did have an insane turn around in just one year at UCF, I'd give him some time to get his recruits in and then assess what will happen with Nebraska, I don't think they'll be as good as they were in the past of course, but I do think there's potential there to be a solid program.
    They had that with Bo Pelini and ran it out of town with insane expectations.

I have relatives that live in Lincoln. The fact that Nebraska has fallen so far is ludicrous, but it is clear that aligning with the B1G and leaving their traditional rivals and recruiting territory behind has not worked well for them. Not at all. My folks are disgusted with the Big 10 and many are very pissed at the Cornhuskers, but they do have hope for Frost. It really is all about coaching in college. How many people would have put Clemson as a Blue Blood 10 years ago around the time when Swinney was hired?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    I know this person is not affiliated with the enquirer, but yikes. https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/3625806002
    Last edited by Xavgrad08; 05-01-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    They had that with Bo Pelini and ran it out of town with insane expectations.
    Well Pelini was also a bit polarizing, not sure what the relationship was with administration, but Pelini has been reported cursing out players, and stuff to that regard, so though 9-4/10-4 is great in my opinion (I'd kill for WVU to have that year in and year out), I think he just rubbed too many people the wrong way. The thing with being a head coach is that your only job isn't coaching, you have to be likeable to boosters, fundraise, etc. which probably tied into it a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I have relatives that live in Lincoln. The fact that Nebraska has fallen so far is ludicrous, but it is clear that aligning with the B1G and leaving their traditional rivals and recruiting territory behind has not worked well for them. Not at all. My folks are disgusted with the Big 10 and many are very pissed at the Cornhuskers, but they do have hope for Frost. It really is all about coaching in college. How many people would have put Clemson as a Blue Blood 10 years ago around the time when Swinney was hired?
    I definitely agree, not to mention Dabo is incredibly likeable as a person too. If you have a solid players coach, that can develop lesser talent, you have a decent chance at success. Nebraska moving to the B1G was interesting in the regards of leaving teams like Oklahoma behind, where they had a rich history of games against each other. I could definitely see how fans would be pissed, I'm just glad the Big 12 extended an invite to WVU to save us from mediocrity of the AAC or something like that. It could be way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavgrad08 View Post
    I know this person is not affiliated with the enquirer, but yikes. https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/3625806002
    Taylor can wear a suit when and if Williams gets inducted to the HOF.

Junior
    I'm not a Nebraska fan, but (believe it or not) I know a few. Also, I'm incredibly bored and avoiding work, so my two cents:

The turn around the Huskers had in this very season (beginning of the year to the end) gives a lot of hope and credence to Frost's abilities as a coach in fan circles. Their preseason promotional materials had a punter highlighted as one of their stars. Anyone who isn't a die-hard fan knew they were going to suck.

Well Pelini was also a bit polarizing, not sure what the relationship was with administration, but Pelini has been reported cursing out players, and stuff to that regard, so though 9-4/10-4 is great in my opinion (I'd kill for WVU to have that year in and year out), I think he just rubbed too many people the wrong way. The thing with being a head coach is that your only job isn't coaching, you have to be likeable to boosters, fundraise, etc. which probably tied into it a bit too.
    Bo also got caught on tape saying disparaging thing about the Nebraska fans. He could get the team to the Big XII title game with regularity, and then proceed to lose every time. My take as a non-Nebraska fan in Nebraska is Bo: good coach, total a-hole. It's pretty telling he had to return to Youngstown State after coaching the Huskers. A mid-level FBS program didn't even want to pick him up.

Nebraska then went in the total opposite direction with Riley. Super great guy. Kinda lousy coach.

Last summer everyone was treating Frost like the Messiah around here. I think they're all a bit more realistic now (I hope).
    zip em up

Band, do you think like my cousins do that Nebraska made a horrible mistake leaving the Big 12?

I know that it really isn't very far (next state over) from Iowa and below Minnesota, but it just seems that their entire traditional allegiances and geographical relationships got wiped out with the changeover.

Maybe after Osborn they were looking to change it up anyway, but it just seems wrong.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Band, do you think like my cousins do that Nebraska made a horrible mistake leaving the Big 12?

I know that it really isn't very far (next state over) from Iowa and below Minnesota, but it just seems that their entire traditional allegiances and geographical relationships got wiped out with the changeover.

Maybe after Osborn they were looking to change it up anyway, but it just seems wrong.
    I personally miss them being in the Big XII, nothing feels like a rivalry outside of Iowa. I'll ask a few Nebraska fans, though. They may have a different opinion.
    zip em up