Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Thank you Go. I can now rest easy that every single college in America is a "special place"- except for, of course, Clifton College of Zero Knowledge.
    I have a great politically incorrect statement to go with that, but I'm sure that many would take it as offensive. I only spread Love.

Meanwhile I am rife with anticipation that Curtis will opt out of his LOI and Cumberland will stay in the draft. Meanwhile we'll see how Brannen recruits now that he has to get a higher level kid than he did at No KY. He's gonna be competing now with Travis, Mack, Holtman, Calapari, Archie, Painter and Thuggins for high level tri-state kids. He could just take second tier at No KY but that ain't gonna pacify the Clifton Cretins. He also hasn't won any games vs High Level competition either in his 3 years. Vs. lower level Horizon League and loops of that ilk, ok but he's in the big time now.

Different stratosphere.
    It's funny...your second paragraph have many of the same thoughts/feelings that louisville fans had/have about mack.

I really believe that Brannen will do an excellent job at UC. I do think it likely that Cumberland leaves, and quite possible that Curtis ends up somewhere else. This will mean that he relies on those returning players that stay, some graduate transfers, and possibly a JUCO or two....sounds familiar doesn’t it?

It’s really about what most coaches coming into a new program, and taking over for a long term coach, experience.

I know that a lot of people on this board, and especially those that haven’t spent most of their lives in this area either don’t want to hear or don’t don’t understand, but UC is a good school. It is a MAjOR university and has a very good reputation in some areas of study. NEITHER UC or X have relied on local recruits for their basketball programs, and BOTH have already been spending considerable efforts recruiting against the likes of those you have mentioned. Brannen didn’t have a pipeline to the 2nd tier locals, while at NKU, either. Most of his recruits came from outside the area. NKU, by the way, has about 3X the enrollment of X and has some programs that X does not. He has established connections with HS coaches in the area and beyond. He will probably concentrate his efforts on Ohio, KY, and Ind., but that’s not different than what X was doing with Mack at the helm. I think he will do alright.

I really don’t see that as a problem for X. Does it hurt Duke when NC is good? The top kids want to go to the top schools and play the best competition. Competition makes everyone enrolled raise their levels. X may lose an occasional kid to UC, but overall a strong U of CINCINNATI May also help Xavier..a CINCINNATI school...to also attract talent to the area, especially talent from OUTSIDE the area.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I really believe that Brannen will do an excellent job at UC. I do think it likely that Cumberland leaves, and quite possible that Curtis ends up somewhere else. This will mean that he relies on those returning players that stay, some graduate transfers, and possibly a JUCO or two....sounds familiar doesn’t it?

It’s really about what most coaches coming into a new program, and taking over for a long term coach, experience.

I know that a lot of people on this board, and especially those that haven’t spent most of their lives in this area either don’t want to hear or don’t don’t understand, but UC is a good school. It is a MAjOR university and has a very good reputation in some areas of study. NEITHER UC or X have relied on local recruits for their basketball programs, and BOTH have already been spending considerable efforts recruiting against the likes of those you have mentioned. Brannen didn’t have a pipeline to the 2nd tier locals, while at NKU, either. Most of his recruits came from outside the area. NKU, by the way, has about 3X the enrollment of X and has some programs that X does not. He has established connections with HS coaches in the area and beyond. He will probably concentrate his efforts on Ohio, KY, and Ind., but that’s not different than what X was doing with Mack at the helm. I think he will do alright.

I really don’t see that as a problem for X. Does it hurt Duke when NC is good? The top kids want to go to the top schools and play the best competition. Competition makes everyone enrolled raise their levels. X may lose an occasional kid to UC, but overall a strong U of CINCINNATI May also help Xavier..a CINCINNATI school...to also attract talent to the area, especially talent from OUTSIDE the area.
    I am amazed the hatred for UC by some. Conversely, they have many fans that hope we never win another game. I do wish we could coexist better except for one day a year........

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I am amazed the hatred for UC by some. Conversely, they have many fans that hope we never win another game. I do wish we could coexist better except for one day a year........
    I get your point. However, if you look back at the series when I was there in the late ‘80s, the lack of respect X got was unbelievable. Not only from the UC fans but the media as well. Also, the city seemed to be 100% behind the cats. Not to say we deserved more, but it still pissed me off and still does!

Obviously a lot has changed, however old wounds are hard to heal.

So they are still sUCks to me!

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    I get your point. However, if you look back at the series when I was there in the late ‘80s, the lack of respect X got was unbelievable. Not only from the UC fans but the media as well. Also, the city seemed to be 100% behind the cats. Not to say we deserved more, but it still pissed me off and still does!

This is the first time since moving back to Cincy in 1992 that I do not hate the UC coach. I hope to be able to watch them without wanting them to lose but only time will tell.

Also, isn't it a bit odd Brannen still has not hired any assistant coaches? Steele had his lined up in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post

We honestly didn't really deserve any respect back then, we had to earn and have....

You think we respect programs and look at them the same way we look at ourselves.......like NKU, Miami, Wright State, Ohio U ? I mean come on........

We honestly didn't really deserve any respect back then.
    This is why I said: “Not to say we deserved more, but it still pissed me off and still does!”

So yes the envy was self-induced.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph85 View Post
    This is the first time since moving back to Cincy in 1992 that I do not hate the UC coach. I hope to be able to watch them without wanting them to lose but only time will tell.

Also, isn't it a bit odd Brannen still has not hired any assistant coaches? Steele had his lined up in about a week.
    Yeah I despised Mick Cronin because he was a jackass, but I have no feelings of hate towards Brannen, I think he has the ability to be a great hire, so that should keep the Shootout interesting every year (though it usually is no matter what the rankings are, etc.), I just don't have the ability to hate him, I don't hate UC as much as I did in undergrad, it's now more of just a annoyance than anything...

Also, not sure what the timeline usually is on assistants, but he's probably taking his time to ensure he can transition into a new conference and higher expectations, a bigger university, etc. as smoothly as possible, and maybe wants to see if anybody on the old staff could fit and ease the transition. Not too sure, but that's my guess.

Supporting Member
    Why ?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph85 View Post

Why ?