Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    With this addition nearly all the pieces are in place. Now what will be done with the 13th scholly? Word is Hanson will not be using it so if its not used on a transfer big, that's a good indication that Coach Steele thinks Miles will contribute. Carter nor Freemantle are not the best options to spell Jones. So if Coach decides to pocket the 13th, here's to Miles surprising us all and gives us 8-10 minutes of serviceable defense.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-18-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    With this addition nearly all the pieces are in place. Now what will be done with the 13th scholly? Word is Hanson will not be using it so if its not used on a transfer big, that's a good indication that Coach Steele thinks Miles will contribute. Carter nor Freemantle are not the best options to spell Jones. So if Coach decides to pocket the 13th, here's to Miles surprising us all and gives us 8-10 minutes of serviceable defense.
    We are only going to be playing 1 big at a time though... so it will be Tyrique, Freemantle, and Ramsey in that spot. I think Miles will definitely redshirt but you never know for sure.

I’m not so sure he redshirts. He isn’t polished offensively, but he’s already a pretty good defensive player, especially as a shot blocker. How much offense are they really going to need from him, anyway? A true post up center is something the college game is definitely moving away from. He is very mobile and runs very well. I could see him being used at the back end of the full court press, at the very least.

As far as the last scholarship....I think that unless a real difference maker comes along, they don’t use it this year. There just isn’t much left in the 2019 class of real quality, that is interested in X. Keeping it gives X 4 to use in the 2020 class, with one of them (Odom) already being filled. Keeping it and using it next year helps to even out the classes, which is something most coaches like to do.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 04-18-2019 at 08:13 AM.

My thinking on Miles as well. Good chance it shakes out that way. Of course a 1 yr transfer big would not effect the 2020 scholarships and ideally the best way to go but, like you said not much out there. Smits will end up at BU.

A longshot scenario might be taking another multi-year transfer. Even though he has to sit a year, I love the idea of getting DJ Harvey for 2 years as a Muskie. That would nicely fortify our razor thin senior class in 2021-22 and provide a little insurance in case any of our freshman fail to get traction or transfer. Also would be huge if Naji and/or Paul decide to go pro in 2020.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.

I’ve brought it up before

I too can not help but think Miles will NOT be redshirting.

Just doesn’t make much sense to have an athletic 6’11 guy sitting on the bench when we saw how important a guy like that was this year. Not sure he has the soft touch of Hankins yet, but I can see him being the type of big presence that could be crucial against certain opponents.

Folks, lets be realistic here. There is about a 99% chance that Miles will redshirt. Don't try and overthink it. Its probably the best thing for his long term development. And I don't understand the want for a graduate transfer big man. Xavier will have Tyrique, Freemantle, and Ramsey all at the 5 and Carter could play center in a pinch if Freemantle and Ramsey are ineffective. Tyrique will probably play about 25 mpg needing only 15 minutes combined from Freemantle and Ramsey. I think Freemantle will be pretty decent as a frosh even if that's only rebounding and running the floor and not being a scoring threat. Xavier is already going to have 4 centers on the roster plus another guy that could play there in a pinch. I just don't think it is necessary or smart to have 5/13 scholarships dedicated to centers in 2019.

4 centers on the roster? Where did you get the notion that ZF and DR are centers? We have 2....Jones and Miles. Let’s hope that Coach plans on getting Miles some consistent PT. We will certainly need him after Ty graduates.

4 centers on the roster? Where did you get the notion that ZF and DR are centers? We have 2....Jones and Miles. Let’s hope that Coach plans on getting Miles some consistent PT. We will certainly need him after Ty graduates.
    Freemantle and Ramsey were recruited to primarily play the 5. The only scenario they'd be at the 4 is the rare times we play two bigs. (Ty and Zach, Farr and Reynolds/Stainbrook) Xavier wants to play 4 in one out, so I don't expect them to play meaningful minutes at the 4 at all. They'll both play the 5 backing up Tyrique who averaged 25 mpg with a very good second center. I expect to see Tyrique getting 26-28 mpg with Freemantle and Ramsey covering the rest. Miles is almost certainly redshirting.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Freemantle and Ramsey were recruited to primarily play the 5. The only scenario they'd be at the 4 is the rare times we play two bigs. (Ty and Zach, Farr and Reynolds/Stainbrook) Xavier wants to play 4 in one out, so I don't expect them to play meaningful minutes at the 4 at all. They'll both play the 5 backing up Tyrique who averaged 25 mpg with a very good second center. I expect to see Tyrique getting 26-28 mpg with Freemantle and Ramsey covering the rest. Miles is almost certainly redshirting.
    If you could point to any article, interview, tweet that mentions anything regarding them being recruited as centers, it would be greatly appreciated.
    They both were listed as forwards on all the recruiting sites I saw.

If you could point to any article, interview, tweet that mentions anything regarding them being recruited as centers, it would be greatly appreciated.
    They both were listed as forwards on all the recruiting sites I saw.
    Steele thinks Freemantle might play a bit at the 5.

https://goxavier.com/news/2018/11/14...ing-class.aspx

Edit side note: I didn’t realize former ND and NBA player Tim Kempton was his uncle.
    Last edited by noteggs; 04-18-2019 at 01:41 PM.