Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Villanova will be the favorite and they should be.

Gilespie
    Bey
    Cosby roundtree
    Samuels
    Swider

And they have two mc d all americans who will contribute right away as well as another top 50 recruit.

While x has a good recruiting class, nova is in a different "league" right now.

Nova has three returning starters and a better recruiting class, I regrettably pick them...again

I will say that where x has an advantage is that our core 4 will be in their second year of being primary scoring options...bey and Samuels will be adjusting to that role.
    Nova will be the favorite but they have plenty of question marks. They were so reliant on booth and Paschall last year. I’m not impressed by anyone they have coming back. Like us, even more so, they’ll be banking on freshmen to be really impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Villanova will be the favorite and they should be.

Gilespie
    Bey
    Cosby roundtree
    Samuels
    Swider
    I just don’t see it. What am I missing here? None of those 5 have proven to be better than ANY of our core 4. Yes, their incoming freshman are tops in conference for sure. The two 5 stars will certainly come out smokin’ hot and Eric Dixon at 6’7” 270 is a carbon copy of Eric Paschall. However, I see no logical reason to put Nova above X. They lost their 2 best players/LEADERS and I don’t see anyone in that group to emerge as a clear cut “leader”. BUT....they do have Jay Wright, which is nice.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

I agree. Replacing Boothe and Paschall will be a tall order. They killed us.
    2023 Sweet 16

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I put Nova there by default until they show otherwise. They lost 4 players to the NBA from two years ago and still won the BE this past year. Jay Wright also is heads and shoulders above any other coach in the conference so that gives them a boost as well.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I just don’t see it. What am I missing here? None of those 5 have proven to be better than ANY of our core 4. Yes, their incoming freshman are tops in conference for sure. The two 5 stars will certainly come out smokin’ hot and Eric Dixon at 6’7” 270 is a carbon copy of Eric Paschall. However, I see no logical reason to put Nova above X. They lost their 2 best players/LEADERS and I don’t see anyone in that group to emerge as a clear cut “leader”. BUT....they do have Jay Wright, which is nice.
    Agreed that the returning players are not of the caliber that Nova normally has. I think they will be tough, but very beatable.......

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I put Nova there by default until they show otherwise. They lost 4 players to the NBA from two years ago and still won the BE this past year. Jay Wright also is heads and shoulders above any other coach in the conference so that gives them a boost as well.
    Points 1 and 3 are spot on. Point 2 is obviously true but can’t say this was a great feat (not suggesting you did) with the down BE year, still having two first team players, and with the most talented team in league has Wojo as their HC. That 2018 was truly loaded and it will be interesting to see how the role players respond. As we witnessed, could have some serious growing pains.

Walk-On
    I don’t see any way you can put X over Nova. Yes they lose booth and paschal but have a great recruiting class and have a couple stretch bigs like bey and samuels. Also the player who was hurt most of last year. X lost their most consistent player In Hankins and best 3 point shooter in Welage. A lot is being expected of Tandy and Bishop (and our new grad transfer) to provide outside shooting so that is an unknown. Seton hall and Creighton May finish ahead of X as well because they will be talented.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Expert View Post
    I don’t see any way you can put X over Nova. Yes they lose booth and paschal but have a great recruiting class and have a couple stretch bigs like bey and samuels. Also the player who was hurt most of last year. X lost their most consistent player In Hankins and best 3 point shooter in Welage. A lot is being expected of Tandy and Bishop (and our new grad transfer) to provide outside shooting so that is an unknown. Seton hall and Creighton May finish ahead of X as well because they will be talented.
    I think you can have the top 4 teams in basically any order and have it be a reasonable projection

Quote Originally Posted by X-Expert View Post
    I think you're underselling X a tad bit. Expectations for Tandy and Bishop are where they are based on their ability. They won't be the primary options, thus taking immense pressure from them. Carter and Moore are proven in the college game and have done quite well, so I will take that over inexperienced (granted elite Nova class) players in Nova. I think the chemistry of X will be the difference maker. That being said it's a there's a few real good teams who can win the BE.

Walk-On
    Understood a and dont misunderstand, i think X will be improved. However losing hankins on both ends will be huge. He and Scruggs were the only offense against Nova in BE tourney and with Jones' foul issues that is going to be an impact. Unless X brings in another 5, they will play small a lot next year. Problem there is that X was able to have an advantage over Nova and many in BE because of their bigs. Also, if Tandy and Bishop aren't primary options (at least from the outside), this will not be a good outside shooting team again, i hope i'm wrong as X will definitely be better but I believe Nova will too. Roundtree, Samuels, And Bey alone is very strong-not to mention Swider. I hope Moore does well but coming off an ACL he is an unknown. I remember Darnell Williams was not the same player after coming back so who knows. Big East top 4 will be decent and better than the top 4 last year, Of course, I think St Johns and Depaul will struggle.