Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Do you golf? Do you know how difficult it is to swing the golf club with a bad back? Do you know what fusing lumbar vertebrae is? Nerve damage is permanent. You cant fix it. It doesn't heal like a bone fracture does. It never goes away. His "fusion" could be complicated and affect other areas of his back down the road. It never leaves your mind. Ever. Once a bone heals and you recover you are pretty much in the clear.

Hogans injuries all healed with rest and time. Yes, terrible injuries he suffered but he was back swinging a golf club and practicing and playing competitive golf less than 1 year after the accident. Tiger missed several years of play and had 4 separate surgeries on his lower back. FOUR. The last one was it. If his back didn't "fuse", he was DONE. Forever.
    The suggestion Hogan's bones healed and then he was fine is laughable. He had pain all his career, particularly in one leg. There was concern he could not make it through a round, especially on Sunday which sometimes involved 36 holes. His preparation before a round to be ready to play was at least as long as Tiger's and without this era's therapeutic tools.
    Also a comeback of six months cannot be compared to Hogan's multiple majors over years (yes Tiger's age is a plus in his favor is comparing them).
    Somewhat tongue in cheek to elicit an enraged response let's consider Tiger and Tommy John. Tiger hurt his back and could no longer play golf - he was done; he underwent surgery that allows him to play golf but with the fear that each swing could be his last; he had great results (at least for six months). Tommy John's elbow went bad - he was done; in desperation he tried an unproven surgery and was able to pitch again after long and extensive rehab but with the fear that every pitch could be his last; he became a top pitcher for years and the remarkable result led to the surgery bearing his name colloquially.

Supporting Member
    And yes I am a golfer, and a Tiger fan to boot.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    The suggestion Hogan's bones healed and then he was fine is laughable. He had pain all his career, particularly in one leg. There was concern he could not make it through a round, especially on Sunday which sometimes involved 36 holes. His preparation before a round to be ready to play was at least as long as Tiger's and without this era's therapeutic tools.
    Also a comeback of six months cannot be compared to Hogan's multiple majors over years (yes Tiger's age is a plus in his favor is comparing them).
    Somewhat tongue in cheek to elicit an enraged response let's consider Tiger and Tommy John. Tiger hurt his back and could no longer play golf - he was done; he underwent surgery that allows him to play golf but with the fear that each swing could be his last; he had great results (at least for six months). Tommy John's elbow went bad - he was done; in desperation he tried an unproven surgery and was able to pitch again after long and extensive rehab but with the fear that every pitch could be his last; he became a top pitcher for years and the remarkable result led to the surgery bearing his name colloquially.
    Even if you want to consider Hogan's physical challenges more of an issue, tiger had mental golf issues to get over, addiction, and the whole adultery thing...now of course those were self inflicted wounds but still things he had to overcome. He also had to deal with a media scrutiny in all of these situations that hogan never had to deal with, at least not to the extent that athletes do in this day and age.

I guess we will agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    Hogan was in his mid 30's and went on to win 6 of his 9 majors AFTER the accident. I'm sure he had some lingering issues and had to deal with some pain. Struggling to make it through tournaments is another embellishment. Hogan had no issue spending hours upon hours on the range beating balls. He was a range rat until very late in his career.

Still doesn't compare to Woods personal struggles and injuries IMHO. Ridiculed, written off, left for dead, had the chip yips, divorced, thought his career was over multiple times.......11 year major drought. 43 years old. i could go on and on.

It's Holy Week, which reminds me that Christ died for our sins and his capacity to forgive sins is infinite. With this in mind, I am going to put Tiger's past poor decisions and behaviors and focus instead on a redeemed career and pray that he's asked God to forgive him of all his past indiscretions. I assume if God has an infinite capacity to forgive, then who am I to not do likewise and forgive, Tiger, or anyone else for that matter. Tiger can just as easily be someone in my own life. The guy paid a big price for all the crap he brought upon himself, which was bad and hurt many people very close to him, especially his wife and children. But, I am not going to deny him the happiness he found hugging his kids after working very hard to get back to the top of the his game and hopefully a newly found decent way of life. I hope he keeps it going, if for no other reason, so his kids can see a good example of being able to turn around a life that went badly.
    Last edited by vee4xu; 04-15-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Pray the Rosary daily

OK, I just got the email to apply for 2020 tickets. I've been trying for quite a while with no success. I'm probably overthinking this but does it matter if I apply for all available sessions or just the practice rounds? I want to do whatever might help my odds of getting on-site but my top choice would be the practice rounds since you can take photos. Thanks!
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    OK, I just got the email to apply for 2020 tickets. I've been trying for quite a while with no success. I'm probably overthinking this but does it matter if I apply for all available sessions or just the practice rounds? I want to do whatever might help my odds of getting on-site but my top choice would be the practice rounds since you can take photos. Thanks!
    Definitely better odds of success if practice rounds only.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    Definitely better odds of success if practice rounds only.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Why?
    Decades ago when we lived in Hilton Head friends would go to practice rounds. Back then they said it was easier due to less demand. Having been there for a Thursday a few years ago, I might prefer a practice round. In person you appreciate the course, and if there are fewer people that is easier. If you want to appreciate the golf, you are better off watching on TV, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    It's Holy Week, which reminds me that Christ died for our sins and his capacity to forgive sins is infinite. With this in mind, I am going to put Tiger's past poor decisions and behaviors and focus instead on a redeemed career and pray that he's asked God to forgive him of all his past indiscretions. I assume if God has an infinite capacity to forgive, then who am I to not do likewise and forgive, Tiger, or anyone else for that matter. Tiger can just as easily be someone in my own life. The guy paid a big price for all the crap he brought upon himself, which was bad and hurt many people very close to him, especially his wife and children. But, I am not going to deny him the happiness he found hugging his kids after working very hard to get back to the top of the his game and hopefully a newly found decent way of life. I hope he keeps it going, if for no other reason, so his kids can see a good example of being able to turn around a life that went badly.
    If Tiger got the Medal of Freedom for playing golf, what do we give to Kendrick Castillo, the Metal of Honor?
    2023 Sweet 16