Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Bernie Madoff was asked to do Dayton's valuation. It simply makes no sense. The only thing VD has going for it is a mortgage free UDump and a bunch of delusional idiots who still pay comparatively lots of money to show up for their sad basketball schedules. No television money worth noting. NCAAT Units bleeding off, including the ones we left behind. Whatever the methodology is that the WSJ-hired professor is using, a variable or two is bastardizing his results.

The Forbes list, which we used to make all the time, looks more realistic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#6dfaf1543225

Note that Marquette is the only Big East team on the list now (at #19). Arkansas, NC State and Alabama? It's a lot to do with the TV money as Forbes calculates it (i.e. conference media deals plus NCAA distributions). Take a look at the pie chart down in the article:

Revenue Sources Breakdown:

- - Television* 33.7%
    - - Tickets 29.5%
    - - Alumni Contributions 21.6%
    - - Sponsorships 10.0%
    - - Other 5.2%

* - Includes NCAA and conference distributions, per the article, which implies that NCAAT Unit monies flow through this item.

So, in the modern era, TV revenue rules. Do you then have a venue that is fully supported by a strong fanbase and how is that venue configured for seat licensing, etc. Alumni contributions is the one we or any private school cannot win when pitted against a land grant P5 school that has in excess of 30,000 students and boatloads of alumni. Same for sponsorships, given the comparative base in fan support.
    Thanks. That was a really nice way of presenting it in a way that's easy to understand. Honestly, I would have thought Nike or other shoe companies alone would surpass 10% easily.

The Forbes list, which we used to make all the time, looks more realistic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#6dfaf1543225
    Sure makes Mack's jump to the Cardinals easier to understand.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Bernie Madoff was asked to do Dayton's valuation. It simply makes no sense. The only thing VD has going for it is a mortgage free UDump and a bunch of delusional idiots who still pay comparatively lots of money to show up for their sad basketball schedules.
    I will say this, I thought about going up to the Dump for the SLU game on a Saturday this year, and the cheapest tickets I could find on the secondary market were like $75-80. For SLU. They do fill up that shitty arena no matter what.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Where is Creighton with that 17000+ arena ?
    They rent it.
    This space for rent.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    They rent it.
    Marquette rents their place and look how high they are on the list. For that matter, everyone but X Butler and DP rent for most or all of their games.