Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sophomore

Xavier Basketball worth 61 million according to WSJ- complicated calculation

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-muc...s&page=1&pos=4

Gonzaga worth 68 mill, Marquette 72, Villanova 71, Town 60m, Providence 48, Butler 42.Cincinatti 32, Conn, 34, Seton H 24, Loyola Chi 22

Virgiina 68 and T tech 34m (Louisville 238m which is near the top and with UK shows how important basketball is in KY

I can't find a way to download the whole database and a login is needed

It just shows how important the team is to our school (and all the schools). A HUGE asset especially to Big East Schools which have much smaller enrollment

UK 334m, Kansas 320 and number 10 Wisconsin 131, Duke 200M
    Last edited by whopper; 04-10-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-muc...s&page=1&pos=4

Gonzaga worth 68 mill, Marquette 72, Villanova 71, Town 60m, Providence 48, Butler 42.Cincinatti 32, Conn, 34, Seton H 24, Loyola Chi 22

I can't find a way to download the whole database and a login is needed

It just shows how important the team is to our school (and all the schools). A HUGE asset especially to Big East Schools which have much smaller enrollment

UK 334m, Kansas 320 and number 10 Wisconsin 131, Duke 200M
    I had the same problem after trying to paste it. I'm surprised Dayton is worth that much more than X. I realize they have a larger arena, but the success rate isn't comparable. Like any business, I guess money management may be the difference. Not to mention sponsorship deals with companies such as Nike can literally turn a program around. Xavier being worth nearly double UC, and nearly triple SH.
    Last edited by XfansinKy; 04-10-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Junior
    Where is Creighton with that 17000+ arena ?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Where is Creighton with that 17000+ arena ?
    67th at $37.47 million. Just ahead of DePaul and three spots behind St. John's.

Big East:

26. Marquette $72.4 million
    28. Villanova $71.08 million
    38. Xavier $61.87 million
    50. Georgetown $50.27 million
    56. Providence $46.0 million
    (58. Wichita State $43.81 million)
    59. Butler $43.47 million
    64. St. John's $38.46 million
    67. Creighton $37.47 million
    68. DePaul $36.45 million
    87. Seton Hall $24.96 million

Dayton, by the way, is #18 at $100.01 million.

How is Dayton worth so much? I realize it's not all about winning, but I wouldn't imagine they have better sponsorship, endowments etc than some of the more successful/bigger programs. Dayton is considered a great basketball town with the Flyers being the only "big show" in town but I still don't understand that.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    How is Dayton worth so much? I realize it's not all about winning, but I wouldn't imagine they have better sponsorship, endowments etc than some of the more successful/bigger programs. Dayton is considered a great basketball town with the Flyers being the only "big show" in town but I still don't understand that.
    I would like to see how it is all calculated. dayton doesn't surprise me in a vacuum, but it does surprise as compared to Creighton who seems to be in a similar position.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Dayton probably gets a bump for hosting the First Four.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    Bernie Madoff was asked to do Dayton's valuation. It simply makes no sense. The only thing VD has going for it is a mortgage free UDump and a bunch of delusional idiots who still pay comparatively lots of money to show up for their sad basketball schedules. No television money worth noting. NCAAT Units bleeding off, including the ones we left behind. Whatever the methodology is that the WSJ-hired professor is using, a variable or two is bastardizing his results.

The Forbes list, which we used to make all the time, looks more realistic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#6dfaf1543225

Note that Marquette is the only Big East team on the list now (at #19). Arkansas, NC State and Alabama? It's a lot to do with the TV money as Forbes calculates it (i.e. conference media deals plus NCAA distributions). Take a look at the pie chart down in the article:

Revenue Sources Breakdown:

- - Television* 33.7%
    - - Tickets 29.5%
    - - Alumni Contributions 21.6%
    - - Sponsorships 10.0%
    - - Other 5.2%

* - Includes NCAA and conference distributions, per the article, which implies that NCAAT Unit monies flow through this item.

So, in the modern era, TV revenue rules. Do you then have a venue that is fully supported by a strong fanbase and how is that venue configured for seat licensing, etc. Alumni contributions is the one we or any private school cannot win when pitted against a land grant P5 school that has in excess of 30,000 students and boatloads of alumni. Same for sponsorships, given the comparative base in fan support.
    X A V I E R