Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Brannen already throwing shade calling UC "Cincinnati's basketball team". I dont think it will take us too long not to like him. Maybe not to the level of Mick, but all it takes is a slight or two in a Crosstown shootout press conference, or in you introductory press conference and the hate is on!
    I heard that too but I would have to say in response that the Musketeers are "Xavier University's Basketball Team". That is so much bigger than just a city. That means that they represent not just a city in the midwest but an entire culture and family of Xavier University Alumni, Students, Faculty, Staff and their family that extend not just throughout Cincinnati or Ohio but around the world. the Musketeers are so much bigger and embody something so much bigger than just Cincinnati's team..they are Xavier University's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmuskie View Post
    I heard that too but I would have to say in response that the Musketeers are "Xavier University's Basketball Team". That is so much bigger than just a city. That means that they represent not just a city in the midwest but an entire culture and family of Xavier University Alumni, Students, Faculty, Staff and their family that extend not just throughout Cincinnati or Ohio but around the world. the Musketeers are so much bigger and embody something so much bigger than just Cincinnati's team..they are Xavier University's team.
    I wouldn't disagree with you. But I think Brannen is right. UC is Cincinnati's team. Bigger school. Lots of history. And just the fact of the name. Can't get around it. No sense in being upset about it. Doesn't really mean much.

Sophomore
    means nothing if we keep beating them. cronin said that all the time too and they had that stupid "we wear cincinnati" campaign as if that means anything. them having to declare this just tells me that they're insecure about it

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    means nothing if we keep beating them. cronin said that all the time too and they had that stupid "we wear cincinnati" campaign as if that means anything. them having to declare this just tells me that they're insecure about it
    Their dumb shit fans have done it a lot recently too around the Shootout. Not to mention the "hottest college in America" slogan made up by Santa Claus Ono who was so impressed by UC that he fled for Canada or something.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with you. But I think Brannen is right. UC is Cincinnati's team. Bigger school. Lots of history. And just the fact of the name. Can't get around it. No sense in being upset about it. Doesn't really mean much.
    Right or wrong it was clearly a dig at Xavier. Which was probably smart on his part, definitely playing to his base.

It means a lot as we are trying to find reasons to dislike the new UC coach! Not liking their coach is a huge part of the rivalry imo.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Right or wrong it was clearly a dig at Xavier. Which was probably smart on his part, definitely playing to his base.

It means a lot as we are trying to find reasons to dislike the new UC coach! Not liking their coach is a huge part of the rivalry imo.
    I didn’t hear it as a dig at Xavier at all. I only heard it as sucking up to his base and the media. What would people expect him to say different? A coach is going to have to say a lot more and do a lot more than that, in order to get me to start disliking him. Disliking the opposing coach, players, or fans is not needed in order for there to be a rivalry. I didn’t particularly like the comment, but in reality it’s true and I didn’t take it as a negative against X or any other university in the area.

Remember...”#1 in the country, #2 in the City”!

That’s all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I pretty much agree. Xavier fans and alumni root for Xavier, and the vast majority of those people aren't from Cincinnati and don't live in Cincinnati. There is certainly a presence in Cincinnati, but I wouldn't call us the city's team. Not only am I okay with that. I kind of like it that way. I kinda like beating Cincinnati's teams! I like beating Cleveland's teams too, and pretty much all of Ohio's teams with Ohio State being at the top of the list.

UC is Cincinnati's team. People who live in the city root for them even if they never had anything to do with the school as a student, employee, or whatever. And, to repeat myself, I'm fine with that. If anything it makes Xavier feel like it's a little more our own.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

With all those people who live in Cincinnati, went to UC, and root for the team, how is it that their average attendance is about 8,000....and little old Xavier, with most of its alumni out of town...averages 10,000+?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    With all those people who live in Cincinnati, went to UC, and root for the team, how is it that their average attendance is about 8,000....and little old Xavier, with most of its alumni out of town...averages 10,000+?
    the fact that we've been outselling them for like 20 years straight is kinda crazy. we have great support, but uc only managing to get 8000 a night some years with a perennial tournament team is pathetic

I think there are still a lot of UC fans who haven’t gotten over Huggs being let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.