Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    I dug a bit after your post, and Wichita State is, I think, 169-47 in the six years since the Final Four. 15 of those losses were this year. They have 6 NCAA Tournament wins since '13 (Xavier, in probably its golden age, has 7 in the same timeframe). They haven't been back to the Final Four, of course, but it's strange to consider them a "lighting in a bottle" of a "flash in the pan". They've been pretty consistently excellent since '13. And like us, even in a down year they managed to make things pretty interesting down the stretch (won 15 of last 19 and reached NIT semis).

Maybe you just do it to annoy me. It works. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Man you guys that pulled out condescending comparisons like attending arts events over sports are what gives sports fans a bad name.
    Well, somehow Xavier fans manage to plan their cultural activities around Xavier basketball. Or do you think UC fans are just generally more cultured than Xavier fans?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Well, somehow Xavier fans manage to plan their cultural activities around Xavier basketball. Or do you think UC fans are just generally more cultured than Xavier fans?
    Don't know. Don't care. I just think it's poor form to bring up the one freetime activity as a bad choice over another. For all we know, it's could be blamed on Xbox or just ticket prices. I don't usually find a need to think about another program's number of fans in the seats.

I don't think it's necessarily a value choice on what's a better free time activity. But if you're pretending to be a serious basketball program, you'd better have some fans that prioritize basketball as a free time activity!

By the way, how many does the Aronoff hold for the Nutcracker? Because UC has been 6 or 7 thousand short on a pretty consistent basis.

Don't know. Don't care. I just think it's poor form to bring up the one freetime activity as a bad choice over another. For all we know, it's could be blamed on Xbox or just ticket prices. I don't usually find a need to think about another program's number of fans in the seats.
    I'm not saying it's a bad choice. I'm saying it's an absurd explanation as to why their attendance isn't higher. I've heard multiple times that are too many other things going on in the city for people to care about UC basketball. I have never heard any other fanbase say that even if their team is in Dallas, or LA, or Seattle, or Austin, or Nashville, or any other city where there is as much or more to do than there is in Cincinnati. It is very unique to Cincinnati sports fans to think the reason their teams aren't more popular is because of all the other awesomeness in town. I'm not knocking the arts. I'm actually a huge supporter of the arts. I just find it ludicrous that someone actually suggested the reason the attendance was low at a specific basketball game was because of the arts. It WAS ludicrous, and it was very Cincinnati-sports-ish.
    Last edited by xubrew; 04-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I looked it up. Average attendance in 2018 for Big East was 10,371; AAC was 5,569. Big East was the fifth highest in college basketball. Overall D1 average was ~4,000, so UC at 8,000 is not great but way above average. I think the new facility will start to sway things, but I'd imagine their lack of an impressive schedule had way more impact on turnout. Fans want to see teams they think mean something to the bigger picture in sports.

Man you guys that pulled out condescending comparisons like attending arts events over sports are what gives sports fans a bad name.
    Anyone who chooses to go the Art Museum or the Opera over Xavier basketball should have their season tickets immediately revoked.

Xavier used to play in an A-10 that was as bad as (and often worse than) the AAC. Xavier fans generally found a way to sneak in a game in between performances of La Boheme.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Xavier used to play in an A-10 that was as bad as (and often worse than) the AAC. Xavier fans generally found a way to sneak in a game in between performances of La Boheme.
    There you go comparing those two things...proves my point.

There you go comparing those two things...proves my point.
    I'm more making light of your point, to be honest. :)

I suspect it's not really a choice between the two for 99% of people 99% of the time.