Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    With all those people who live in Cincinnati, went to UC, and root for the team, how is it that their average attendance is about 8,000....and little old Xavier, with most of its alumni out of town...averages 10,000+?
    Part of it was the competition UC played at home, especially their OOC home schedule. Just not all that attractive. Some of that is the season ticket base, because those tickets count for attendance even if people don’t actually use them, and some of it was dissatisfaction with Mick and the style of play. When they played their games also had something to do with it I think. They seemed to have quite a few home games on Sunday afternoons or late in the evening during the week.

One of the things the writers and radio personal like to say is that Xavier has 10,000 fans in the Cincinnati area and all of them go to every game. But UC has 100,000 fans in the Cincinnati area and only 1/10th ever see a game in person.

I have absolutely no doubt that UC has a MUCH larger fan base in the Cincinnati area than X does, and I have absolutely no problem with admitting it.

It’s like a car company used to say.....”We don’t want to be the biggest....just the best!”

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Part of it was the competition UC played at home, especially their OOC home schedule.
    Wait! what about the P6???
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Wait! what about the P6???
    Basketball is P7, come on Paul keep up!!

It will be interesting to see if cutting ties with Cronin brings the "Huggins loyalists" back out of the shadows.

With all those people who live in Cincinnati, went to UC, and root for the team, how is it that their average attendance is about 8,000....and little old Xavier, with most of its alumni out of town...averages 10,000+?
    UC has a ton of fair weather fans. I never saw UC gear around town in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Then they go on one miracle Final 4 run when KU crapped themselves and every other house in local neighborhoods had a UC flag hanging.

A DUI for Huggy and a no personality hire in Cronin has not enticed them to return.

I have to laugh at this because based on the perception I have of Cincinnati sports fans it actually furthers my belief that UC is Cincinnati's team.

I don't know how to say this without sounding more condescending than I mean to sound, but Cincinnati fans strike me as amusingly lame. Everything has to be just right, or they'll invent reasons not to come out. The game started to late, the game started too early, it's a football school now, there are too many other things to do in the city like go to The Nutcracker (I'm not making that up. That was a stated reason why their attendance was so poor for a nationally televised basketball game a few years back), and I'm sure there are countless other reasons. Even when Huggins was there he complained about the fans. I still remember his "F.. 'em. Really, F...'em" comment that sent people through the roof (which was great! Because he was right!)

UC is objectively good. Not great, but very good. There aren't many basketball programs out there that have finished in the top 25 six out of the last eight years (or whatever it is), AND who have a football team that has also cracked the top 25 on more than one occasion. But, they have the lamest support, and when you ask why that is, you get the lamest reasons. Like, that The Nutcracker was in town. Even if you don't want to state that they are good, you gotta acknowledge that there are a lot of programs out there who are worse, but get much better support.

It's as if something other than the team has to draw people. They let themselves get drawn into the Bengals, and the Bengals are bad most of the time. It's as if the Bengals are repeatedly able to fool the fanbase.

And as for Xavier, it's sold out (or close to it) every game.
    Last edited by xubrew; 04-17-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    UC is objectively good. Not great, but very good. There aren't many basketball programs out there that have finished in the top 25 six out of the last eight years (or whatever it is),
    They remind me a little of the VCU/Wichita lightning in a bottle. Get one run and then ride the story for years.
    UC went to an E8 in 1996.
    In the succeeding 23 years, they made it out of the first weekend exactly twice, and not once back to the E8.

They remind me a little of the VCU/Wichita lightning in a bottle. Get one run and then ride the story for years.
    In the succeeding 23 years, they made it out of the first weekend exactly twice, and not once back to the E8.
    That's a fair comparison. I would've said they reminded me of BYU (until they joined the WCC). Often in the rankings, never in the Sweet Sixteen. And that's another staple of Cincinnati teams (that aren't X). They're not very good at this whole postseason thing.

They reminded me of BYU without the fan support, of course.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

It's strange how committed you are to being wrong about Wichita State. But UC does kinda suck.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It's strange how committed you are to being wrong about Wichita State. But UC does kinda suck.
    It's one of a multitude of things I'm wrong about according to the lady in the other room.

I do subscribe to the lightning in a bottle theory, although Wichita St. had done much better than some of the others. (George Mason, etc.)
    Their FF was in '13, and they have made it out of the first weekend once since then...which is once more than VCU.
    That's probably due to the stability at head coach with Marshall staying put. He has a really good winning percentage.
    Things a little tougher now that they are in the AAC.

Man you guys that pulled out condescending comparisons like attending arts events over sports are what gives sports fans a bad name.