Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Summer in Europe Travel

Hello all,

I am a Junior at Xavier now and studying abroad in Rome this summer. I am traveling for two weeks after the program and Europe and was hoping if anybody had some suggestions. I have done Vienna, Munich, and Salzburg before and am already booked for Rome, Venice, Florence, and Assisi. I am flying back to the US from Dublin so my trip ends around there.

The ideas i have been throwing around with the people I am traveling with are: Pamplona (will be there for running of the bulls and bullfighting), Barcelona, Paris, London, Madrid, Switzerland, Berlin, Lyon, Scotland. Obviously, I can't try to fit all of these in there, probably looking in the 2-3 cities range.

Would greatly appreciate any comments on cities or other suggestions.

Braggart! :-)

My wife grew up spending her summers in Lebanon, and has been to Europe so many times she has limited interest in going back. We do have a Barcelona to Lisbon cruise in the fall on a 300 person max cruise ship, so I’m looking forward to that.

That’s a long way of saying, can’t help you, but pray you have a great and safe trip!

Good for you!

My wife and I actually met at the University of Vienna summer campus outside of Salzburg (Strobl, Austria). That was many years ago! We are going back this December to celebrate.

You already mentioned Salzburg, Vienna and Munich.

Consider the political unrest in Paris before committing to going there.

Consider Amsterdam. It's beautiful.

Switzerland is top shelf.

French Med (Nice).
    X A V I E R

We did exactly Munich, Vienna, and Salzburg a year ago. Much more impressed with Vienna than I thought I'd be. Next two weeks ...

One week, suggest a Swiss Rail Pass and travel freely and haphazardly throughout Switzerland. Mountains, Lakes, Cows. Send me a picture of the Freddie Mercury statue in Montreaux (sing Smoke on the Water too). Decide each day what do you want to see. It's very self-contained. Second week, Spain with Barcelona being a world class city. Each major city in Andalusia has it's own interests. Hit the Mediterranean coast before flying back from Madrid. Speak with Fr. Graham and get some info on Jesuit-related places in Spain. Of course, a better timing would not be the running of the bulls but Xavier basketball in Spain.
    Last edited by WCWIII; 04-08-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Interlaken, Switzerland was really cool. Lots of awesome things to do. Went bungee jumping out of a gondola in the swiss alps and canyoning. Youtube canyoning in Interlaken.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Interlaken, Switzerland was really cool. Lots of awesome things to do. Went bungee jumping out of a gondola in the swiss alps and canyoning. Youtube canyoning in Interlaken.
    Zermatt is fantastic as well - a little Matterhorn action.
    X A V I E R

I’ve been to Europe about 10 times. Love it. My favorite country is Slovenia. Gorgeous and comparatively cheap.

Prague

If you haven't had enough of antiquities and such, south to Naples and Pompeii is a short side trip (if you haven't already) or across the Adriatic to Greece.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Salzburg, Vienna and Munich are all somewhat close and are great cities. I studied in college in Salzburg.

Switzerland is surprisingly expensive and Austria is not far behind, but both beautiful.

Brussels is great for restaurants and museums. Also has some cool architecture around the U.N.