Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    I'm pretty sure we will be in meltdown mode, myself included, if we don't make the tournament this year.

But I agree that perspective is important and as long as he continues to recruit, he will have time to develop as a coach. The short term outlook for the program is good, but the long term outlook is what has everyone salivating.
    Making the tourney yes........I see that as table stakes at Xavier. Last year was an anomaly. Any expectations beyond that at this point.......are silly. We have to see what the freshman class can bring to next years team. I think Jason Carter will be a significant contributor from day one. We still have no one to back up Jones in the paint (except for the frosh). Lots of potential.......and some question marks too.

Steele knows that coaching a squad like this is becoming a unique opportunity. With 3 Seniors and 3 Juniors in our top 6, a swing and a miss here would be a huge disappointment. I fully expect to see FIVE 1000 point scorers on the floor together come March.

But, you're right, it will be interesting to see if Coach and staff can develop these hot recruits. Hopefully they will excel in this area to where a jump from November to March for these young guys are undeniable....because there are more on the way!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 06-08-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Making the tourney yes........I see that as table stakes at Xavier. Last year was an anomaly. Any expectations beyond that at this point.......are silly. We have to see what the freshman class can bring to next years team. I think Jason Carter will be a significant contributor from day one. We still have no one to back up Jones in the paint (except for the frosh). Lots of potential.......and some question marks too.
    I don't know, I'd need some answers if we don't make the tournament. There's question marks, but our Core 4 is pretty damn solid, plus the 10 practices before Spain will help gel the guys together a little more as well. I think there's too much talent on this roster to not make the NCAA's, now I'm not expecting a world beater team out there, but this is an NCAA team, and a Top 25 team if they play similar to how they did at the end of season last year.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I don't know, I'd need some answers if we don't make the tournament. There's question marks, but our Core 4 is pretty damn solid, plus the 10 practices before Spain will help gel the guys together a little more as well. I think there's too much talent on this roster to not make the NCAA's, now I'm not expecting a world beater team out there, but this is an NCAA team, and a Top 25 team if they play similar to how they did at the end of season last year.
    yeah that's what i said....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    yeah that's what i said....LOL
    Haha my apologies, more thinking out loud and echoing what you were saying more than anything, I think potentially we can be Sweet 16/Elite 8 almost, I just don't know how well things will mesh together to be honest. I think we did well addressing some concerns, I'm hoping Bishop can be a solid outside threat, we really need some more shooters especially with the 3 point line moving back some.

Sophomore
    Not to be a Debbie downer, because I want the F4 as much as the next Xfan, but until we show that we can shoot the 3 we are destined to be disappointed.
    Last year, with Welage at 42% we were still one of the worst 3 pt shooting teams in D-1 at 33.7%. Plug in Carter(34.3&) with our returning 3 shooters and you get 31.9%. Hopefully, they all improve, but with the line being moved back there are no guarantees. Hopefully as GIMMFD said, the freshmen can help--but I don't expect huge minutes from them. So I'm cautiously optimistic, but shooting the 3 is the key, especially without McSpanky's offense down low.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by SC in DC View Post
    Not to be a Debbie downer, because I want the F4 as much as the next Xfan, but until we show that we can shoot the 3 we are destined to be disappointed.
    Last year, with Welage at 42% we were still one of the worst 3 pt shooting teams in D-1 at 33.7%. Plug in Carter(34.3&) with our returning 3 shooters and you get 31.9%. Hopefully, they all improve, but with the line being moved back there are no guarantees. Hopefully as GIMMFD said, the freshmen can help--but I don't expect huge minutes from them. So I'm cautiously optimistic, but shooting the 3 is the key, especially without McSpanky's offense down low.
    What happens when you add Bryce Moore’s 39%? And presumably kyky and Dahmir will be at least competent shooters. Hopefully naji shoots like he did down the stretch and Quentin improves a little.

Sophomore
    [QUOTE=scoscox;650932]What happens when you add Bryce Moore’s 39%? And presumably kyky and Dahmir will be at least competent shooters. Hopefully naji shoots like he did down the stretch and Quentin improves a little.[/QUOTE

Sorry, forgot about him. He brings us back to only a little worse than last year at about 33%. And as I said, I hope they all improve and the freshman help--but until we see it I'm not sure S-16 and E-8 are realistic. But hopeful!

Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    I'm pretty sure we will be in meltdown mode, myself included, if we don't make the tournament this year.
    It won’t take that long. We’ll be in full meltdown mode after the first out of conference loss, especially if it’s to UC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    It won’t take that long. We’ll be in full meltdown mode after the first out of conference loss, especially if it’s to UC.
    No doubt the Cumberland's will be formidable.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club