Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    With what appears to be an upgrade in talent coming in at most positions (compared to what the team has lost), we could indeed see a scary-good team that will prove worthy of a top 20 preseason ranking. We could also witness a repeat of last season where the team, coming out of the gate, is a bit overconfident. Where players are again forcing bad shots or trying to do too much on their own. There were stretches during this past season where each of the core 4 players looked quite good and other stretches where each got exposed and looked quite bad.

The good news is the team did really start to play much better (especially on defense) late in the season. We're all just going to have to wait and see how well the new recruits and transfers mesh with the core 4. I believe Freemantle can be a bit of a threat from outside. If Kyky and Bishop can shoot well from 3 and if Miles does not redshirt, it would make me feel a little more comfortable.

I don't care if Miles is raw, I just want a big with long arms who is legitimately taller than 6'8" available, should we run into an opponent with players scoring with ease over our 6'8 post players. We all saw how effective Hankins (at 6' 11" and with those long arms) could be at making an opponent have to change their approach on offense and even cause opponents matchup problems inside on the other end.
    When did someone score over us/Jones last year? Hankins did alter shots, I'll give you that.

And why would you sacrifice every other facet of the game because a guy can block a shot or two? I'll take the well rounded players over the big who can only shot block and is tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Channeling Iverson I say Freshman? Freshman? We're talking Freshman?

Freshman are unknowns (see Quinerly or any number of UK frosh). Yes, they are very good but good enough to move the needle that much compared to proven upperclassmen. Can't see it.
    There's a phone call for you...some guy named Zion...
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Junior
    With what appears to be an upgrade in talent coming in at most positions (compared to what the team has lost), we could indeed see a scary-good team that will prove worthy of a top 20 preseason ranking. We could also witness a repeat of last season where the team, coming out of the gate, is a bit overconfident. Where players are again forcing bad shots or trying to do too much on their own. There were stretches during this past season where each of the core 4 players looked quite good and other stretches where each got exposed and looked quite bad.

The good news is the team did really start to play much better (especially on defense) late in the season. We're all just going to have to wait and see how well the new recruits and transfers mesh with the core 4. I believe Freemantle can be a bit of a threat from outside. If Kyky and Bishop can shoot well from 3 and if Miles does not redshirt, it would make me feel a little more comfortable.

I don't care if Miles is raw, I just want a big with long arms who is legitimately taller than 6'8" available, should we run into an opponent with players scoring with ease over our 6'8 post players. We all saw how effective Hankins (at 6' 11" and with those long arms) could be at making an opponent have to change their approach on offense and even cause opponents matchup problems inside on the other end.
    If the side by side pictures of Miles and KyKy are legit, either KyKy is not 6 ft or If he is, then Miles is at least 6'11.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    When did someone score over us/Jones last year? Hankins did alter shots, I'll give you that.

And why would you sacrifice every other facet of the game because a guy can block a shot or two? I'll take thhe well rounded players over the big who can only shot block and is tall.
    Players from Nova and even other teams were shooting over Jones and other post players not named Hankins. Not saying it happened often, but when it did, Hankins (with his 6’11 frame and long wing span) caused those opponents to alter their approach on offense.

Why would X be sacrificing every other facet. You haven’t even seen the kid play at X yet. I certainly think X gained more than it sacrificed when Hankins was in there swatting away shots in the paint.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-24-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    If the side by side pictures of Miles and KyKy are legit, either KyKy is not 6 ft or If he is, then Miles is at least 6'11.
    He does appear to be at least 6’’11.”

I stood next to Freemantle after one of his final games. I would say he is closer to 6’8. Freemantle should prove to be a very solid player with a nice stroke from outside, but again, having a 6’11 guy available to use next year would indeed be nice, should his size and blocking ability prove to be more effective in certain situations.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-24-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    There's a phone call for you...some guy named Zion...
    A "one in a decade" type guy.....not relevant here. Nova has nothing like him.
    Someone pointed out that all their incoming are rated higher than ANY of our guys, but after the top 10 or so it's all a wash. I like Tandy, Bishop and BIG Z better than anything they have coming in........but I am somewhat bias.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-24-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by novachap View Post
    Not sure I'm totally buying into it into it either. As I mentioned, I think it's an inflated rating for early in the year. There's a lot of brand equity in that rating and a lot tied to Jay Wright. That said by the end of the year, I think this Nova team will be incredibly strong. A tremendous amount of depth and there won't be a lot of deference to booth and Pascal by key guys as there was last year. There clearly was a lot of that this year. Between Robinson-Earl and Bryan Antoine you have 2 guys that can create shots and I think you're going to see some scoring out of them as starter ready freshman. I also think you're going to see a huge jump in the quality of play from both Bey and Samuels. On top of that, swider Crosby Roundtree and Brandon Slater are going to see burn. To me the big question will be point guard. Gillespie will get the nod to start, but that's the weak link from my perspective. A key development will be Justin Moore, he's the other four star coming in this year. If he can handle some of the point duty, Nova will be formidable. To your point, this is April and it's all swag at this point! And again, I think you guys are going to be really strong and probably better in the beginning of the year.
    Hey thanks Chap for the Philly perspective.
    Just curious, do you think you have any pre season ALL BE guys? Also, what's up with Swider and his inability to gain any traction? The guy looks a bit soft and overwhelmed......Eric Dixon is going to steal his lunch money.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-25-2019 at 12:15 AM.

He does appear to be at least 6’’11.”

I stood next to Freemantle after one of his final games. I would say he is closer to 6’8. Freemantle should prove to be a very solid player with a nice stroke from outside, but again, having a 6’11 guy available to use next year would indeed be nice, should his size and blocking ability prove to be more effective in certain situations.
    Yeah, it's awful nice to have that kind of size and length.......especially with natural rim instincts. I am hoping he contributes nicely in the fall and we end up with a Paul Reed type guy!

Hey Xuperman, great question on all BE. Not sure we do. Bey was all rookie, so perhaps him or Samuels depending on how much they improve. Perhaps one of the frosh..

Swider is interesting, he was starting to get more time just as he broke his hand / thumb. He is a little slow so he did get burned on D occasionally but rebounds well. Had a really good game against providence last year. Waiting on his development over the offseason. He and Antoine and Gillespie will be the vest pure shooters.

You are right, Dixon is a beast. He will be fun to watch the next few years. Jay has a lot of talent at the 3/4.... a lot of talent for limited minutes. Wouldn't be surprised with someone redshirting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    A "one in a decade" type guy.....not relevant here. Nova has nothing like him.
    Someone pointed out that all their incoming are rated higher than ANY of our guys, but after the top 10 or so it's all a wash. I like Tandy, Bishop and BIG Z better than anything they have coming in........but I am somewhat bias.
    I don't agree with the after the Top 10 it's a wash point at all.. Using 247; Nova has the 14th, 15th, 48th, and 63rd overall recruit. For comparison our best is Tandy at 88th, then Dahmir at 115, and Freemantle at 127; so applying this data:

2018 - Keldon Johnson was 13th overall, Darius Garland was 14th (only played in 5 games due to injury but looked good), Tre Jones from Duke 15th, AJ Reeves 48th. Keldon Johnson is a projected lottery pick, Darius Garland is projected 15th or so (with only playing 5 games), and Tre Jones could have declared but decided to stay.

In comparison, Pete Nance was 88th, played 23 games before injury but not that amazing (definitely not one and done), Matt Bradley was 115, not bad by any means, but not on any draft mocks, and Elias Valtonen was 127th.. which if you have any idea who that is, congratulations.

2017 - Brandon McCoy 14th overall prospect, one and done, averaged a double double, PJ Washington was 15th at Kentucky, obviously pretty damn solid, and 43rd was Jeremiah Tilmon who is pretty solid as well for Mizzou (dropped 23 on us this year)

Jordan Nwora was 88th (pretty damn good for Loserville no matter how I feel about them), 115th was Aamir Simms (still in college, solid for Clemson as well), 127th was Deng Gak (uhhh??)

There's an obvious difference between the top 30-40 recruits and the 80-140 region, and though yes, guys like Tandy whom I'm high on too have ridiculous amounts of potential, Freshman DO play solid roles because of how college basketball is shaped these days, and though rankings are a crap shoot, they still are a DECENT guideline into what you can expect.