Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    There are several reasons why nova is ahead of Xavier preseason:

Jay Wright x and o's
    Better recruits
    A coach and staff that is a known commodity in terms of players progressing year to year.

Steele and staff is still an unknown to people outside of xavier.
    plus putting a lot of intangibles on 5 frosh and 2 transfers is shaky at best.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    plus putting a lot of intangibles on 5 frosh and 2 transfers is shaky at best.
    Especially since every single one of those freshman are ranked lower than any of the freshmen nova has coming in.

I like xavier's chances next year, but nova and jay Wright have rightly earned the benefit of the doubt.

I like Xavier's chances next year, too, but I think we need A LOT to go right from the newcomers. I've seen enough of the "Core 4" to know that they're not nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I like Xavier's chances next year, too, but I think we need A LOT to go right from the newcomers. I've seen enough of the "Core 4" to know that they're not nearly enough.
    I think the core 4 will be really good next year. Naji has a poor year by our standards for some reason but would have been considered solid for most sophomores. I expect him to be really, really good next year. He has a ton of potential and he was really good for a few weeks last year. I also think Jones will be a monster and expect Paul to be an all league player. Q if he plays within the system will be gold as well. Get contributions from 3 or 4 newcomers and it should be a really good year. You only need 7 or 8 players. Not many teams go deeper than 8 any way.

Not sure I'm totally buying into it into it either. As I mentioned, I think it's an inflated rating for early in the year. There's a lot of brand equity in that rating and a lot tied to Jay Wright. That said by the end of the year, I think this Nova team will be incredibly strong. A tremendous amount of depth and there won't be a lot of deference to booth and Pascal by key guys as there was last year. There clearly was a lot of that this year. Between Robinson-Earl and Bryan Antoine you have 2 guys that can create shots and I think you're going to see some scoring out of them as starter ready freshman. I also think you're going to see a huge jump in the quality of play from both Bey and Samuels. On top of that, swider Crosby Roundtree and Brandon Slater are going to see burn. To me the big question will be point guard. Gillespie will get the nod to start, but that's the weak link from my perspective. A key development will be Justin Moore, he's the other four star coming in this year. If he can handle some of the point duty, Nova will be formidable. To your point, this is April and it's all swag at this point! And again, I think you guys are going to be really strong and probably better in the beginning of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I've seen enough of the "Core 4" to know that they're not nearly enough.
    If FOUR 1000 point scorers, on ONE team, are not "nearly" enough (along with the All Time assist guy), I am shocked by your lack of enthusiasm. If you've seen enough of these wonderful kids you need help with perspective.....sorry GO.
    ;
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Interesting article on how NBA draft effects “way to early” teams. X is included because they were considered on the cusp. At this point, looks like Seton Hall, Providence and X may or may not be effected in BE.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ichigan-kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    If FOUR 1000 point scorers, on ONE team, are not "nearly" enough (along with the All Time assist guy), I am shocked by your lack of enthusiasm. If you've seen enough of these wonderful kids you need help with perspective.....sorry GO.
    ;
    Uh, wut? I've seen enough of them to know they need quite a bit more help (for us to be #18 in the country and/or better than Nova). I haven't "seen enough of them".

Junior
    Tandy is going to be a special player. Maybe the piece this group needs to do great things. Anxious to see what he does in the Ind v Ky all Star game, as Ind almost always wins going away.

With what appears to be an upgrade in talent coming in at most positions (compared to what the team has lost), we could indeed see a scary-good team that will prove worthy of a top 20 preseason ranking. We could also witness a repeat of last season where the team, coming out of the gate, is a bit overconfident. Where players are again forcing bad shots or trying to do too much on their own. There were stretches during this past season where each of the core 4 players looked quite good and other stretches where each got exposed and looked quite bad.

The good news is the team did really start to play much better (especially on defense) late in the season. We're all just going to have to wait and see how well the new recruits and transfers mesh with the core 4. I believe Freemantle can be a bit of a threat from outside. If Kyky and Bishop can shoot well from 3 and if Miles does not redshirt, it would make me feel a little more comfortable.

I don't care if Miles is raw, I just want a big with long arms who is legitimately taller than 6'8" available, should we run into an opponent with players scoring with ease over our 6'8 post players. We all saw how effective Hankins (at 6' 11" and with those long arms) could be at making an opponent have to change their approach on offense and even cause opponents matchup problems inside on the other end.