Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I'm not a casual fan, so I don't need a history of where transfers have come from. And we all know they can contribute. Excell might be a loaded term, depending on the player. I asked if any of you, based on what you've read and seen, think that Carter would earn a starting spot in other Big East programs?
    1. No one has said that he will for sure start for X next year.

2. Yes, I believe he would start for several Big East teams next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I'm not a casual fan, so I don't need a history of where transfers have come from. And we all know they can contribute. Excell might be a loaded term, depending on the player. I asked if any of you, based on what you've read and seen, think that Carter would earn a starting spot in other Big East programs?
    Pointless to speculate. His numbers are starter numbers. On paper good enough to start on any BE team. Then again he could easily start for none. Obviously that is earned in practice leading up to the season opener.

All that matters here is it looks like he'll start for us. At this point he will be competing with ZFree, Ramsey and James for the starting 4 spot. One would think he will emerge as the best option if that's the case. I personally think James is going to surprise most of us.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Yeah, I have no idea if he'll start for X, but folks here are talking like that will happen. He sure has talent that could help him contribute right away. His per 40 minutes and 100 minutes stats are really pretty good. But that was against pretty weak schedules and his usage was somewhere in the range of what Naji Marshall's is for X.

OK, can we all agree that the core 4 are starting and the 5th spot is up for grabs. A 3 guard small ball line up was used some this year and I could certainly see that again in the fall. Tandy AND Bishop are very good.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

How about we just agree that Carter > Kennedy? Boom. 2 days into the off-season and the roster has been upgraded.

Talent Acquisition SZN.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Pointless to speculate. His numbers are starter numbers. On paper good enough to start on any BE team. Then again he could easily start for none. Obviously that is earned in practice leading up to the season opener.

All that matters here is it looks like he'll start for us. At this point he will be competing with ZFree, Ramsey and James for the starting 4 spot. One would think he will emerge as the best option if that's the case. I personally think James is going to surprise most of us.
    Before getting Carter I think a lot of people would have envisoned a starting 5 of:

Q
    Scruggs
    Elias
    Naji
    Jones

I think it makes more sense with Carter in the fold to start him but if he doesnt perform well enough in practice to warrant a starting spot and Elias does that could happen. I am not sure if it is Carter competing with the freshman for a starting spot as much as it is him competing with Elias.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Bottom line is I think we can all adamantly agree that Xavier will be more talented and deeper than last year. The team will be different than last year, though. While Hankins and Carter are not the same, I think they're usage and overall output could be similar (10 and 5 per game).

To not run into the same problems as we had this year, though, the core 4 and elias will all have to again take steps to improve. To get some of the wins that we missed out on last year, the defense will have to be as good as it was the last month of the season. More importantly, the offense will have to avoid the long stretches of scoring droughts. Shot selection and turnovers will have to be cut down, and spacing will have to be better. If Naji and Q can hover around 33% all year from three, that'll make a big difference. Both guys will have to shoot more FTs and at a better clip. Both have the ability to get into the lane, and this should hopefully generate more FT attempts and manufacture points. Then you hopefully have Eli, Bishop, and Carter shooting around 35%. Paul hopefully around his 38% number. Tandy is a wildcard here, but he probably won't get the volume of 3 point shots as other guys listed, I'm thinking along the lines of 2 attempts per game from deep.

Last year, X started one guy who shot above 30% from three. That can't, and shouldn't, be the case next year. I'm looking forward to the season being here, already.

Quote Originally Posted by GetUp5 View Post
    How about we just agree that Carter > Kennedy? Boom. 2 days into the off-season and the roster has been upgraded.

Talent Acquisition SZN.
    For some reason unknown to us Kennedy did not live up to his 4* rating. I think his motivation was indicated by the fact that he chose not to finish out the season. There definitely was an opportunity to earn playing time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    For some reason unknown to us Kennedy did not live up to his 4* rating. I think his motivation was indicated by the fact that he chose not to finish out the season. There definitely was an opportunity to earn playing time this year.
    Felt like Kennedy was one of those kids who got caught up in what everyone else was saying about him (4 star this and that stuff) and forgot that he had to work his ass off and earn playing time. Then he quits mid season........... Kid was getting some bad advice IMHO or was just hard headed. Either way, we have moved on and upgraded

4 stars? Who had him at 4 stars?