Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Expert View Post
    Interesting take from MM:
    It's funny to read in Xavier Media Guide the following -
    In Naji Marshall's bio - question - "What's the best thing about me as a player" - His answer - "I am a willing and able passer". :o
    I don't think so sir.
    Here are the KenPom offensive ratings this year for X -
    1) Hankins - 128.7
    2) Welage - 125.2
    3) Jones - 119.4
    4) Castlin - 106.0
    5) Scruggs - 105.0
    6) Goodin - 96.0
    7) Marshall - 95.1
    8) Harden - 88.5

Marshall took the most 3's on the team and had the worst shooting % - 27.7%
    Marshall took the most 2's on the team and had the 3nd worst shooting % - 47.6% Goodin was worst at 43.1% and Harden was 2nd worst at 45% but Hardend only shot 20 times from 2.
    He thinks he is The Man but he doesn't have the talent to be The Man.
    The best thing X can do is have Stanley Burrell mentor him on being the defensive shut down guy. He can be and is at times an outstanding defensive player. That needs to be his MO.
    And go back to his quote in the media guide - be a willing and able passer.
    Just further backs up my questioning Steele for not having both Hankins and Jones in there for that last play and getting one of them the ball. Instead, Naji (a player at the bottom in offensive rating and a player who was having an off game) gets the last shot.

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Naji was definitely a big reason for a lot of wins and losses. When he is on he is very good, but when he gets greedy he really drags the team down. He goes through spurts where his decision making and shot selection may as well be a turnover leading to a lot of runouts for the opposing team.

He looks like he goes through spurts where he is trying to impress NBA scouts instead of playing the team game. It reminds me a lot of how Sumner played at times.

I hope next year he just plays within the system because if he does he can take this team far and maybe further than it has ever gone. Unfortunately he can also keep this team from the tournament. He is that critical to next year's success. That is also a testament to his skill and ability to drastically impact a game
    This is so true. When he plays within the system is when he actually looks like an NBA prospect with his skillset. This is where we need a point guard that is good enough to demand the ball and set things up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    He had a bad shooting year but he is also a capable scorer. He shot 35% from 3 as a freshman and like 58% from 2. I am fine when he shoots as long as it is not forced or out of the offense. He has shown he can be really good and he really was the main reason they finished so strong, although never was the same after the Butler game. He was in a zone during the 6 game winning streak.
    This. Not sure how everyone doesn't see this. If Xavier is going to come close to their ceiling over the next 1-2 years, it's with Naji as a scorer. LOL at him becoming a Stanley Burrell defensive shut down guy.

No doubt XU is a high major program now with the message board performance during a down year.

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    This. Not sure how everyone doesn't see this. If Xavier is going to come close to their ceiling over the next 1-2 years, it's with Naji as a scorer. LOL at him becoming a Stanley Burrell defensive shut down guy.

No doubt XU is a high major program now with the message board performance during a down year.
    Agree they need Naji but his shot selection is poor. Last year was such a different animal because teams were doubling down on Kanter, O'Mara and helping on Bluitt. That opened so much for Q and Naji. His 3s were wide open. This year, he was a focal point and teams guarded him closely. Both players can be effective if they first take good shots and secondly, have help from the outside to spread the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    If there was a top 10 of FT痴 you wished had gone in, this would not make the list. Justin Cage would be #1 for me, and I still love the guy. That was heartbreaking! We got screwed by the ref痴 too. But there are a lot more for me I知 sure that would top advancing in the NIT.
    I was at that game. Oden knocked Cage into the fourth row of floor seats. If there was a textbook flagrant foul, that was it. Should have been two shots and Xavier's ball. The other thing that still eats at me is that Miller didn't foul Lewis before he made his very long, game tying three pointer.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    I was at that game. Oden knocked Cage into the fourth row of floor seats. If there was a textbook flagrant foul, that was it. Should have been two shots and Xavier's ball. The other thing that still eats at me is that Miller didn't foul Lewis before he made his very long, game tying three pointer.
    I agree you should foul there. Can't remember how much time was left on the clock but they should have fouled right on the rebound of the FT or ASAP in the backcourt.

I think people think that situation is so much easier than it is. That has to take some practice and is a lot easier to execute out of a timeout or deadball. You dont want to foul too hard and have an intentional situation arise and you dont want to wait too long or panic and do it and have the guy go into his shooting motion (see KSU against X fouling Tu).

That also seemed to be at the very beginning stages of the foul up 3 strategy. I feel like it is much more accepted by coaches now. I am sure with a guy like Oden in the game (dont think he was fouled out was he?) you always run the risk of them getting a board off a missed FT.

Personally I dont think a team should do it unless the clock is under 8 secs maybe even less. Easy to a foul a team with 10 secs they make both and then they get a steal or foul and you only make 1 of 2 and now a three beats you or only a 2 ties it.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I agree you should foul there. Can't remember how much time was left on the clock but they should have fouled right on the rebound of the FT or ASAP in the backcourt.

I think people think that situation is so much easier than it is. That has to take some practice and is a lot easier to execute out of a timeout or deadball. You dont want to foul too hard and have an intentional situation arise and you dont want to wait too long or panic and do it and have the guy go into his shooting motion (see KSU against X fouling Tu).

That also seemed to be at the very beginning stages of the foul up 3 strategy. I feel like it is much more accepted by coaches now. I am sure with a guy like Oden in the game (dont think he was fouled out was he?) you always run the risk of them getting a board off a missed FT.

Personally I dont think a team should do it unless the clock is under 8 secs maybe even less. Easy to a foul a team with 10 secs they make both and then they get a steal or foul and you only make 1 of 2 and now a three beats you or only a 2 ties it.
    Yeah I remember Miller saying he struggled with the call. Foul or let them play it out?

A 3 at the end of regulation happens all the time. Even 25 footers that are contested.

If you foul, they have to make the first, miss the second, get the rebound and score.

Or conversely, miss the first, miss the second, get a rebound, and hit a 3.

Fundamentals, if applied, will make the chances of the free throw route go down drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmes37 View Post
    Yeah I remember Miller saying he struggled with the call. Foul or let them play it out?

A 3 at the end of regulation happens all the time. Even 25 footers that are contested.

If you foul, they have to make the first, miss the second, get the rebound and score.

Or conversely, miss the first, miss the second, get a rebound, and hit a 3.

Fundamentals, if applied, will make the chances of the free throw route go down drastically.
    Yes agreed. As long as your players dont foul too aggressively or foul while the player is shooting.

It ultimately worked out for Kansas State but I am sure Frank Martin would have wanted a re-do on that one.

I think that Kansas state one was out of a dead ball too. Which is a lot easier to execute than after a missed FT.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Fouling up three didnt work out for Purdue tonight. May still win in OT but UVA tied after missing the second FT. Took an unreal play though. Fouling probably still the right call.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Someone on Twitter had also pointed out just how huge resetting the game clock from 59.7 to a full minute looks after the fact.