Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Freshman
    so outside of X and Nova, how many elite 8's as a conference? how many sweet 16's? I could be mistaken but I think 1 possibly?

I'll be honest, it doesn't bother me. On some level I know it's good for Xavier if the rest of the conference does well in the tournament, but the rest is just talking heads chattering. Xavier's March reputation definitely doesn't hurt it in recruiting. If, say, Butler's hurts them, I'm okay with that. I just want to beat those teams, find a way in, and advance.
    Joel
    Banners on the Parkway - XU on SBN (Formerly Xavier Examiner)

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'll be honest, it doesn't bother me. On some level I know it's good for Xavier if the rest of the conference does well in the tournament, but the rest is just talking heads chattering. Xavier's March reputation definitely doesn't hurt it in recruiting. If, say, Butler's hurts them, I'm okay with that. I just want to beat those teams, find a way in, and advance.
    I think it's a really big deal for the conference to do well in the tournament. This is when most people watch college basketball...unlike us rabid fans, college basketball is mostly watched after the super bowl and peaks in march.

Doing well in march is extremely important for reputation, money etc which leads toward more exposure, more money and on and on. Being a d1 basketball only league, it is extremely important to do well in march for the viability of the conference.

Honestly (always dangerous), I would say we are in a much better position than we were a decade ago. Furthermore, until we reach a Final 4 or Championship Game, I think it's ridiculous to pass judgement on anyone else in the conference. Like it or not, my two cents. Look in the mirror.

A10 is dead.
    AAC is suffering.

We've got Nova, and great looking teams (conference) for '19-'20. We are lucky to be in this league.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacopizza885 View Post
    Honestly (always dangerous), I would say we are in a much better position than we were a decade ago. Furthermore, until we reach a Final 4 or Championship Game, I think it's ridiculous to pass judgement on anyone else in the conference. Like it or not, my two cents. Look in the mirror.

A10 is dead.
    AAC is suffering.

We've got Nova, and great looking teams (conference) for '19-'20. We are lucky to be in this league.
    Agreed with the thoughts on x. I dont think x has contributed their share in the tourney either. A 1 and a 2 seed not getting out of the first weekend is not great.

Quote Originally Posted by tacopizza885 View Post

A10 is dead.
    AAC is suffering.

I don’t know if the AAC is suffering. They may improve with what appear to be good coaching hires in Hurley and Penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I don’t know if the AAC is suffering. They may improve with what appear to be good coaching hires in Hurley and Penny.
    Yeah, The AAC is actually a pretty good b-bball conference with some good potential. If Memphis and UCONN improve that bodes very well for them. Houston has really been a huge surprise. Gotta give Samson credit there. Wichita State is a wild card. I don't know if Marshall can keep that going at the level he had it for several years. UCF is a flash in the pan. Temple is just goign to be Temple. The bottom of the league really hurts them.......but the top is and can be pretty good.

Freshman

Straight talk!

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Big East teams except for Villanova and Xavier are the biggest postseason frauds of all time. Every year the other teams not named Nova or X don't just lose in the post season but get absolutely embarrassed. Marquette St. John's and Seton Hall should be ashamed of themselves for losing the way they did. So should Georgetown for losing at home to Harvard. Whenever Georgetown or Creighton make the big dance they get equally as embarrassed. These other programs are absolute jokes.

I would like to know what the Big East NCAA tournament record is if you took Xavier and Nova out of the equation since realignment. My guess is the record is embarrassing.

I pretty much agree with everything that has been said here, BUT XU was a #1 seed last year and lost in the second round! Whats worse what XU did last year OR what Marquette did this year? I'd say it a toss up! So before you say that WE XU can walk on water lets tread lightly!

So, I wonder how the SEC does outside of Kentucky and at one point Florida? Or, the ACC outside of Duke and UNC. If I recall correctly, Virginia became the first #1 seed to lose last year when they lost to UMBC. What can be said for the current state of the PAC 12? If not for AZ, who is worth anything there? In a bubble, it looks like the BE is not good beyond one, or two teams, but I would suggest that's true of all conferences.
    Pray the Rosary daily

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Agreed with the thoughts on x. I dont think x has contributed their share in the tourney either. A 1 and a 2 seed not getting out of the first weekend is not great.
    Xavier has reached the second weekend twice in the Big East - they just happened to be when they were a #6 and #11 seed, strangely enough.