Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Same old thing, new place

Just came over from the Louisville YUM! board. After today's bad performance,unhappiness down there stems from the same things we all had to endure. Pack line defense, inability to close out on three point shooters, slow deliberate half court style, out coached, plays at the end of a half, etc..... With his "protege" here, you have to admit it's hard basketball to watch sometimes. Like a guy said, with the pack line, if you get down, it's hard to get back in a game, ie some of our massive blowouts against Marquette and Villanova last year. With reinforcements next year you gotta hope Steele speeds up the pace and plays more pressing in your face defense. I don't like Cronin but I do like his kept stat of player deflections. Finally last night in the second half our guards were jumping more through the passing lanes and we had some steals because of it.
    But re: Chris Mack and his style? Good riddance. Louisville fans can have it.

Freshman
    Was giddy to see MinneSNOWta SMACK down MACK and LOSERville.

I'll take the defense we have been playing the last 10 games. I would guess it's top 20 in country over that span. I dont like 2-3 zone. If we are going zone, bring back the 1 3 1.

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    I'll take the defense we have been playing the last 10 games. I would guess it's top 20 in country over that span. I dont like 2-3 zone. If we are going zone, bring back the 1 3 1.
    Yeah, I agree with this, the past few games, the defense has improved immensely, which is something I'm glad happened after Steele addressed it was an issue. It was great to see Mack get it blown in his face, but there weren't crazy high expectations going into the season, next year however, he has the #2 recruiting class in the country coming in, and Louisville fans won't be satisfied with a first round Tournament exit appearance again. Some one in another thread said that Mack can't win big games, and it may be recall bias but I tend to kind of agree with this point, either way whatever, he's gone, and I think Steele is really going to grow into a solid head coach, we're just going to have to be patient as he irons out the kinks, just like Mack's first few years.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    ...we're just going to have to be patient as he irons out the kinks, just like Mack's first few years.
    And Miller's first few years. And Matta's first few years.
    It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    Just came over from the Louisville YUM! board. After today's bad performance,unhappiness down there stems from the same things we all had to endure. Pack line defense, inability to close out on three point shooters, slow deliberate half court style, out coached, plays at the end of a half, etc..... With his "protege" here, you have to admit it's hard basketball to watch sometimes. Like a guy said, with the pack line, if you get down, it's hard to get back in a game, ie some of our massive blowouts against Marquette and Villanova last year. With reinforcements next year you gotta hope Steele speeds up the pace and plays more pressing in your face defense. I don't like Cronin but I do like his kept stat of player deflections. Finally last night in the second half our guards were jumping more through the passing lanes and we had some steals because of it.
    But re: Chris Mack and his style? Good riddance. Louisville fans can have it.
    I'll just never understand posts like this. Mack was very successful at X, arguably the most successful coach in X history. And he didn't play a slow half court game.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post
    Might there be a pattern here???

It takes a little time, but I’ll certainly keep the faith.

Mack sucked. He snuck into the tournament a few years and he had some huge breaks go his way to get deep in the dance. Then he takes our best team ever, still chokes to Nova and then loses second round as a 1 seed. The guy is a fraud and won bc of talent not coaching. Steele is going to win bc of both. Also WOBLOW sucks as a coach and they want him out of Marquette.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post
    Well, not Matta's, but he also had David West and wasn't a first time coach.

Some of this joy at Mack/Louisville losing reminds me of Dayton fans focusing/enjoying when we lose a game.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.