Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah I dont think streaming is a big of a disaster as it sounds like. I wouldn't love it but I have a different view on it than I would have even two months ago. I finally cut the cord and got a roku last month and it is extremely easy for me to watch ESPN+ right from my TV. It might suck for the early potions but in the next couple years as more people cut the cord and go to streaming it I dont think it will be looked at as that big of a deal. It might be looked at as just as normal as turning on your cable.

As far as the big increase, my understanding is UC will pretty much be even money wise from the increase because their BE payout payments have ir are ending this year. At least that is what I heard Brendel say on Mo Egger's show the other day, that UC with this increase wont really be seeing anymore money coming in but also wont see a loss from the BE payments stopping now.
    At the same time, UC will net continue to lose money on football, as it has for the past several years.

I'm not smart enough to run the numbers, but let's assume UC does not get into a bigger conference. Won't they be in dire financial straits 12 years from now due to football bleeding money?

The majority of the games will be on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. I believe six football games, including the championship game, will air on ABC.

The majority of the games will also be on ESPN Plus. Unlike before, where you didn’t need a plus account to watch streams of ESPN/2/U games, you will for most of these. It’s my understanding that ESPN is looking to go that route in future contracts with other conferences.

This is much better than what they had before.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Streaming is popular. Paying extra for premium streaming channels is not. Espn+ has about 2 million subscribers. That is horrible
    This.

Gents, the reality of it is that this is a horrible deal for the schools that care: Houston, UCF, Memphis, and UC. I would put UCONN in that group but it's too far gone to matter at this point when it comes to football.

This isn't about "increasing from $2mm to $7mm" and considering that "better". This was always about the AAC not now or ever having enough leverage with a media partner to secure a truly lucrative deal, wherein LUCRATIVE is defined as providing enough cash flow to enable an athletic department to at least truly break even, if not be in the black, so to speak.

It would have been BAD and not horrible had it only stopped at the financial terms of it, especially because, as I understand it, the schools wanting out didn't "GOR" themselves. But the deal became HORRIBLE when they hit them with this financial package AND stuck them on ESPN+. Nobody with a clue doubts that streaming is coming, but come on. It isn't busting down the door in 2020. The AAC is at a critical point of survival. It's already bleeding to death financially. Now it has to go out and recruit players who will consider that they'll be playing in a viewer pool that tops out at 2 million total for the entire platform! No casual viewers, etc.

Brew, I'm not reading anywhere that the "majority" of their games are going to end up safely on those platforms. I would love for you to cite sources for that statement if you can. I'm not challenging you; I just am taking most of what I'm offering from the UCONN and Houston boards. They are not very happy with all this.

Aresco didn't exactly have a good day at the office on this one.
    Last edited by xudash; 03-20-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    X A V I E R

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...03/19/AAC.aspx

That kind of mentions it, but I’m mostly relying on what a friend at ESPN told me. No more than half the games will be on Plus, and even some of those will be available on the networks as well.

Any game that doesn’t suck will probably not require a plus account.
    Last edited by xubrew; 03-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.

So, basically, any game that anyone is going to be watching anyway is going to be on one of the real networks.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...03/19/AAC.aspx

That kind of mentions it, but I’m mostly relying on what a friend at ESPN told me. No more than half the games will be on Plus, and even some of those will be available on the networks as well.

Any game that doesn’t suck will probably not require a plus account.
    Okay. Good for the better members of the AAC. Some of their games will be treated normally for a while. In the meantime, they get to continue to bleed to death financially.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Which isn’t good for exposure. Basically that’s what they currently have. Anyway most reports I saw were that the majority of games will be on plus. That’s just not good if you consider yourself any type of major conference

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexPutte...98841847521281

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    So, basically, any game that anyone is going to be watching anyway is going to be on one of the real networks.
    Yep, basically.

Tulsa’s and Tulane’s home buy games will be on Plus. All of the good games and some of the mediocre games will be on the networks.

Sophomore
    That would clash with the reporting that a [B]majority[B] of the football and basketball games will be on plus

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    That would clash with the reporting that a [B]majority[B] of the football and basketball games will be on plus
    Is the reporting that they will exclusively be on Plus? Or will games be on the over the air network while being streamed on Plus?

Also, a majority of the games are going to be shitty games, so it also may not be inconsistent from that standpoint!