Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The AAC Just Put A Gun To Its Head

Aresco signed a media deal that will kill them.

$1 billion over 12 years for 12 teams.

ESPN+.

Good luck recruiting into that.

Fans will literally be funding this nasty mess through their streaming fees.

It's very bad.

Poor Bearkittens.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Nice reminder that the Fox deal is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Nice reminder that the Fox deal is awesome
    Oh, yes.
    X A V I E R

Sounds like $7 million/year per team. Not competitive with the big boys, but he's a genius for managing to get that much.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Sounds like $7 million/year per team. Not competitive with the big boys, but he's a genius for managing to get that much.
    But the majority of the programming will be on espn+ which is a disaster. The exposure of national cable and network is worth a lot on top of the direct payout and being on espn+ completely nullifies that

It's good for most of the league, but pretty bad if you're uc, uconn, ucf, etc. pretty much ensures they're going to continue to operate at huge losses

also 7 mill a year in 2030 is gonna be peanuts
    Last edited by scoscox; 03-19-2019 at 11:13 PM.

They were only getting around 2 million per year under their current contract, so it’s a big increase. Hard to say just how the ESPN+ thing will work out in the future. Streaming is becoming more and more popular.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    They were only getting around 2 million per year under their current contract, so it’s a big increase. Hard to say just how the ESPN+ thing will work out in the future. Streaming is becoming more and more popular.
    Yeah I dont think streaming is a big of a disaster as it sounds like. I wouldn't love it but I have a different view on it than I would have even two months ago. I finally cut the cord and got a roku last month and it is extremely easy for me to watch ESPN+ right from my TV. It might suck for the early potions but in the next couple years as more people cut the cord and go to streaming it I dont think it will be looked at as that big of a deal. It might be looked at as just as normal as turning on your cable.

As far as the big increase, my understanding is UC will pretty much be even money wise from the increase because their BE payout payments have ir are ending this year. At least that is what I heard Brendel say on Mo Egger's show the other day, that UC with this increase wont really be seeing anymore money coming in but also wont see a loss from the BE payments stopping now.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah I dont think streaming is a big of a disaster as it sounds like. I wouldn't love it but I have a different view on it than I would have even two months ago. I finally cut the cord and got a roku last month and it is extremely easy for me to watch ESPN+ right from my TV. It might suck for the early potions but in the next couple years as more people cut the cord and go to streaming it I dont think it will be looked at as that big of a deal. It might be looked at as just as normal as turning on your cable.

As far as the big increase, my understanding is UC will pretty much be even money wise from the increase because their BE payout payments have ir are ending this year. At least that is what I heard Brendel say on Mo Egger's show the other day, that UC with this increase wont really be seeing anymore money coming in but also wont see a loss from the BE payments stopping now.
    True...the money from this deal just keeps them even. It helps the bottom feeders much more. UC really needs to get out of that conference if they ever get a chance.

Of course they'll get out if they get a chance to move into the Big XII or similar. Anyone would. But it's a good league. Clearly a cut below the six top conferences, but clearly a step (or 10 depending on the league) above everything else as well. I miss the days when the A-10, C-USA, the WAC and the Mountain West (depending on the era) were all clearly major conferences. More of a good thing is better than less of a good thing. Now the AAC is basically the only major conference outside the top 6 "power" leagues. I thought the Mountain West would keep pace, but sadly it has not. The A-10 is a shell of its former self, and the C-USA and WAC are LITERALLY shells of their former selves.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Streaming is popular. Paying extra for premium streaming channels is not. Espn+ has about 2 million subscribers. That is horrible