• Rather lose the PIG 20x

22 64.71%
  • Rather win the NIT the lose in the PIG

8 23.53%
  • NIT NEVER

4 11.76%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    If your team is in the NIT, you will tend to watch it. I never watched PIG unless we played in it. Those of us about 65 or older remember the NIT interest being on about par with the NCAA.
    I’m aware of the history of the NIT, but it is no longer anywhere close to the ncaa. In the ncaa, you make money for your basketball program and conference. Same cannot be said for the NIT.

Sophomore
    The jealousy of St. John’s midweek trip to Dayton overfloweth.

Check out this article from Cincinnati.com:

Xavier Musketeers basketball team having fun playing in NIT

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...as/3230541002/

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    The jealousy of St. John’s midweek trip to Dayton overfloweth.

Check out this article from Cincinnati.com:

Xavier Musketeers basketball team having fun playing in NIT

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...as/3230541002/
    Jealousy overfloweth? Maybe just a little hyperbole there? Just because we'd rather be in the NCAA than win the NIT does not mean we're not enjoying watching them play more basketball. I'd love to see them win it all.

However, I would rather be Crash Davis with the 21 glorious days in the majors than be Crash Davis with the home run record but never getting to the show. Because that's the goal of every player that suits up - it's to make the NCAA tourney. The NIT is a nice consolation prize, but it's just that - consolation.

Wow Im suprised at some of these answers. I much much much rather win the NIT than lose the play in game.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    Wow Im suprised at some of these answers. I much much much rather win the NIT than lose the play in game.
    I, agree as well. The winner of the NIT generally get some preseason respect the following year and will certainly be higher in the preseason rankings than who ever lost a game in the play in portion of the NCAA tournament. I would think that in terms of betterment for the team The Following season winning the NIT is far more beneficial than losing in the play-in game

Penn State received 0 votes in both preseason polls this year. First Four loser UCLA was #20 in one poll and #21 in another. First Four loser Arizona State got 3 votes in the AP Poll. Of the three, Penn State and UCLA sucked out loud, while ASU returned to the First Four and got a win this time.

Losing the PIG is an embarrassment. I'm not sure they should even be considered actually in the tournament. They should get back to the 'first round' being the first time all the teams play. PIG losers have not made the tournament and therefore do not constitute a round of tournament play. Its too damn confusing, esp for a UC grad.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcrawfo View Post
    I, agree as well. The winner of the NIT generally get some preseason respect the following year and will certainly be higher in the preseason rankings than who ever lost a game in the play in portion of the NCAA tournament. I would think that in terms of betterment for the team The Following season winning the NIT is far more beneficial than losing in the play-in game
    I prefer to sneak up on people.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Losing the PIG is an embarrassment. I'm not sure they should even be considered actually in the tournament. They should get back to the 'first round' being the first time all the teams play. PIG losers have not made the tournament and therefore do not constitute a round of tournament play. Its too damn confusing, esp for a UC grad.
    The argument for expanding to 68 was that good teams were being left out of the tournament. Hasn't Arizona State vs. St. John's put that argument to rest? Let's go back to 64.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    The argument for expanding to 68 was that good teams were being left out of the tournament. Hasn't Arizona State vs. St. John's put that argument to rest? Let's go back to 64.
    The genie is out of the bottle, you can't go back. I'd say a full fledged 96 (With 32 teams getting byes to Thursday/Friday) is more likely than ever seeing 64 again.