Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Be thankful of the administrations we've had in place since the early 90's.

Be thankful of the AD's and the decisions made Re coaching hires.

Think about where St. Joe's and X were at one point, near peers at least, and consider the massive gap now.

Where on God's earth do they go from here, playing in an expensive bandbox in a crap league.
    Amen! Man holding me down again....

Always liked him. His teams competed hard and played clean. Class act. I’m sure he will land on his feet....TV work?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    He actually had an entertaining coaches show locally in Philly - he should be able to find a TV gig somewhere next season.

From The Athletic:

I texted Martelli immediately. He responded that he wanted to spend time with his family. Later he called. He didn’t want to offer too many details, but it was clear the move blindsided him. He understood that administrators have the right to do what they think is in the best interest of the program and the school, but was clearly stung by how it was handled.

“I thought I was a part of the fabric of the place,’’ he said. “And I thought the place was a part of my fabric.’’

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I can't believe he was fired and they didn't come to an agreement that he'd just retire.
    I had to look it up, but Phil is “only” 64 years old. I say “only” because I would have guessed he was 64 fifteen years ago. I’m sure he’s doing fine financially, assuming still cashing those royalty checks from all those years playing Ray Romano’s dad on Everybody Loves Raymond. How he found time to coach and act at the same time is really impressive.

In all seriousness, I always liked that ‘ol sunofabitch. His slugfest with Billy Packer in 2004 was legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    I had to look it up, but Phil is “only” 64 years old. I say “only” because I would have guessed he was 64 fifteen years ago. I’m sure he’s doing fine financially, assuming still cashing those royalty checks from all those years playing Ray Romano’s dad on Everybody Loves Raymond. How he found time to coach and act at the same time is really impressive.

In all seriousness, I always liked that ‘ol sunofabitch. His slugfest with Billy Packer in 2004 was legendary.
    I was surprised by his age too. He might have taken the lead over Thad Matta for most surprisingly aged college coaches.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    There's not many details on it, but I'm less surprised that St. Joes wanted to move on and more surprised that Martelli didn't gracefully bow out. I'd be shocked if the new AD wanted to fire the face of their program. It seems more likely that he was offered a chance to retire and refused.
    Then again, maybe this is what Saint Joe's had in mind when they hired Jill Bodensteiner as AD when Don DiJulia retired. Nobody likes playing the heavy, but there was a faction of SJU fans that did see Martelli as a Rasputin-like figure when he'd pull A-10 titles out of nowhere to save his job in the past.