Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phil Martelli Out At St. Joe's

Be thankful of the administrations we've had in place since the early 90's.

Be thankful of the AD's and the decisions made Re coaching hires.

Think about where St. Joe's and X were at one point, near peers at least, and consider the massive gap now.

Where on God's earth do they go from here, playing in an expensive bandbox in a crap league.
    X A V I E R

I can't believe he was fired and they didn't come to an agreement that he'd just retire.

Although this season was disappointing on Hawk Hill it's not like they have not seen success in the tournament. But he was prolly one of lower paid in their league, and without more review no apparent succession plan at hand. He also stayed there when he could have pursued other openings. If no other gig arises, he was made for broadcasting.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

They saw success in the Tournament 15 years ago. He could have left, but he didn't. Did they owe him more than 15 years after the 2004 team? Because they've mostly been mediocre to bad since.

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    Although this season was disappointing on Hawk Hill it's not like they have not seen success in the tournament. But he was prolly one of lower paid in their league, and without more review no apparent succession plan at hand. He also stayed there when he could have pursued other openings. If no other gig arises, he was made for broadcasting.
    I think most of what you offered above amplifies Caf's point: why not navigate Phil out gracefully.

I see your point Go, but St. Joe's administration was mostly responsible for dumping $15 million - not much to begin with, especially in the Philly market - into a high school gym. It can certainly and fairly be argued that St. Joe's was never ever going to sniff a whiff of the Big East, but they still didn't do themselves any favors by not investing enough in their program across the board, and Phil had to swim upstream due to all that over that time.
    Last edited by xudash; 03-19-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    X A V I E R

The most interesting part of this story (for me anyway) is that I went over to the A-10 forum to see what they were saying...and I found out that paulxu still posts there. Who'd a thunk it?

There's not many details on it, but I'm less surprised that St. Joes wanted to move on and more surprised that Martelli didn't gracefully bow out. I'd be shocked if the new AD wanted to fire the face of their program. It seems more likely that he was offered a chance to retire and refused.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The most interesting part of this story (for me anyway) is that I went over to the A-10 forum to see what they were saying...and I found out that paulxu still posts there. Who'd a thunk it?
    Paul has an interest in Richmond, I believe, as his daughter may have gone there.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Paul has an interest in Richmond, I believe, as his daughter may have gone there.
    Speaking of, how on earth is Chris Mooney still their coach all these years later?!? Thought the same of Dr. G at LaSalle before they fired him after last year. Seems not much changes in the A-10!

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    She did go there. That's a great school. They've got a very nice arena, and if they could raise the program level could easily fit in BE.
    They certainly have the money with one of the nation's largest endowments. Probably should have let Mooney go a while back and tried someone else.

I enjoy posting on that board because of some of the great Bona posters there. Gives me a team to follow, and probably lets me be an irritant to the Dayton guys. Actually not many people post there any more. Once Snipe left, the place was never the same.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.