Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Much ado about nothing to me. Coaches yelling at their players isnt "verbal abuse" to me as I had plenty of coaches yell at me in grade school all the way up thru high school.

Quite frankly, those were the coaches I responded to and learned from the most.

To each their own I guess.
    I'm just having a little fun with Coach Martin/UC.

Junior
    A little off topic, but a former student at MSU came forward yesterday about being gang raped by 3 bball players. This, and his lack of condemning the pervert gymnastic dr is not a good look for Izzo. But he is a media darling.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Much ado about nothing to me. Coaches yelling at their players isnt "verbal abuse" to me as I had plenty of coaches yell at me in grade school all the way up thru high school.

Quite frankly, those were the coaches I responded to and learned from the most.

To each their own I guess.
    The tough guy yelling coach is rarely effective and likely more damaging. There is a ton of data on this. Humiliating someone in public or in front of teammates is almost always counterproductive especially to a child. Perhaps your experiences are the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    The tough guy yelling coach is rarely effective and likely more damaging.
    I wouldn't have wanted to play for him, but it seems to have worked for Knight well. The same is true for Lombardi. We're now in different times.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I wouldn't have wanted to play for him, but it seems to have worked for Knight well. The same is true for Lombardi. We're now in different times.
    I probably should have elaborated more but I didn’t mean to equate success with wins, especially on the non-pro level.

I probably should have elaborated more but I didn’t mean to equate success with wins, especially on the non-pro level.
    Personally, I agree with you. I was just noting how some legendary "yellers and screamers " have been very successful.

Supporting Member
    The tough guy yelling coach is rarely effective and likely more damaging. There is a ton of data on this. Humiliating someone in public or in front of teammates is almost always counterproductive especially to a child. Perhaps your experiences are the exceptions.
    Meh...as long as it never gets physical or to the point of verbal abuse which I dont think the example of what 87 sent was, in my opinion it can be quite effective. It certainly does depend on the child or teenager/twentysomething year old...some respond to it like I did, others have their feelings hurt.

I had HS football coaches that spent their whole time yelling and screaming.....usually about how I was doing something wrong......and none of their time teaching players how they wanted something done. Consequently, very few of the players improved. I always found that showing someone how to do something, explaining why that was the best way to do it, and then letting the kids try it for themselves, worked best for me as a player and a coach. Most of my yelling was in the encouraging and cheering form. However, there were always times when it became necessary to let a kid know that what he/she was doing was not acceptable and needed to change.

Jerry Kramer (HOF guard for the Packers under Lombardi) tells this story....” it was Lombardi’s first year, real early in training camp. Lombardi was all over my ass the whole practice. Nothin I did was good enough. Everything I did was wrong. I was sitting in front of my locker afterwards, to tired to even take my gear off and to beaten down to even care. Lombardi came into the room and walked over to me. He put his head down by mine and said softly, ‘if you keep working hard like that you’re going to be the best guard in the whole league.’ I was ready to go out and practice 2 more hours for him”.

GREAT coaches know how to coach PEOPLE, not just “players”.

Sophomore
    Goodman and Rothstein reporting John Brannen to Cincinnati is a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavgrad08 View Post
    Goodman and Rothstein reporting John Brannen to Cincinnati is a done deal.
    Announced on Twitter as well, he did wonders at NKU and not surprised at all to see this happen, seems like a good hire, lucky for Brannen he doesn't have to sell his house or anything haha. Will be interesting to see how UC develops for the next couple years with Brannen.