Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
    But can any of them coach off of one foot?
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Juwan Howard going to get 2mil from Michigan.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Former NBA players with no head coaching experience coming back to coach their alma mater seems to be a trend (Mullin, Ewing and now this.)

Drexler = bad
    Mullin = pretty bad
    Ewing = Seems okay for now
    Penny = Smashing success
    Howard = ???

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Ewing and Howard may not have had head coaching experience entering their jobs, but they were still assistants (albeit at the NBA level). Mullin was strictly a front-office guy without ANY coaching experience until St. John's and it showed. Georgetown is headed in the right direction, but they have to curb their addiction to the OOC creampuff cart.

By the same token, Howard is walking into the most stable situation of the five programs that Go listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Drexler = bad
    Mullin = pretty bad
    Ewing = Seems okay for now
    Penny = Smashing success
    Howard = ???
    Penny has been a recruiting success. No doubt. But let's see if that translates on the court.

Drexler was a disaster when he returned to Houston.

I think Hoiberg had zero coaching experience when he returned to Iowa State. That one worked out pretty well.
    Last edited by XU 87; 05-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Former NBA players with no head coaching experience coming back to coach their alma mater seems to be a trend (Mullin, Ewing and now this.)
    And if anyone cared about Kenyon Martin's opinion, we might have seen Nick Van Exel at UC. That would have been fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I think Hoiberg had zero coaching experience when he returned to Iowa State. That one worked out pretty well.
    I thought about including Hoiberg, but he really shouldn't be included in a conversation around guys like Penny, Drexler, Mullin, Ewing and Howard when it comes to their NBA careers IMO. Honestly, Howard is only marginally in the same conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I thought about including Hoiberg, but he really shouldn't be included in a conversation around guys like Penny, Drexler, Mullin, Ewing and Howard when it comes to their NBA careers IMO. Honestly, Howard is only marginally in the same conversation.
    Howard was pretty good his first 10-15 years, than the last few he was just seen as an older player giving wisdom, has two rings, and over 16,000 career points, definitely marginally in the conversation but still someone players can look at and be like "damn this guy was pretty good," in my opinion. I think the biggest thing will be how he fills his staff out, I think his first act should be trying to secure Yaklich to stay as he's a good recruiter, and a good defensive mind, then we'll see what other pieces line up. I think it's an interesting move, I read an Athletic article that said the choices after Howard were Williard and Martin from South Carolina. I think Howard has potential to have a pretty high ceiling due to name recognition and being on teams with LeBron, Wade, etc. The no experience thing is going to be an interesting aspect but if he can delegate with the proper staff I could see it being successful for Michigan.

EDIT: I also didn't realize Aaron McKie is the head coach of Temple now, so that's Penny, Ewing, Howard, McKie, Majerle, Stackhouse all former NBA players that are head coaches at D1 institutions, it's kind of crazy to see so many people I've seen play in the NBA actually coaching college ball now, is this what getting older feels like??

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    is this what getting older feels like??
    Sort of. When those guys start dying regularly, that's what getting older REALLY feels like.