Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

2019 Coaching Carousel

Notable news out of the Atlantic 10 emerging today - Phil Martelli has been dismissed at Saint Joseph's after 24 seasons.

And today just happens to be the feast day of Saint Joseph. Yikes.

I can't believe he lasted so long, honestly. He's an institution there, but it was definitely time for some institutional changes!

But he gets to always be the answer to this trivia question: Which coach handed Xavier its last A-10 loss? By the way, his first year at St. Joe's was Xavier's first year in the A-10.

Here is a list of openings so far

Kind of surprised that UCLA still has its opening. I know we’re in season but haven’t even heard much (rumors) since beginning of January.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...saint-josephs/

Phil Martelli's quote about XU's Stanley Burrell...

Quote:

“Is there anybody here from the Xavier administration? Do you know when graduation is? That GD Burrell, every year, every GD game makes a shot against us. He was averaging 7.5 points coming into the game in seven league games – or eight games. Doesn’t look like the same player, playing great defense. Dagger. I want to be here to make sure that s.o.b. gets out of here to be honest with you.”
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Here is a list of openings so far

Kind of surprised that UCLA still has its opening. I know weÂ’re in season but havenÂ’t even heard much (rumors) since beginning of January.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...saint-josephs/
    I think they are waiting for UC to be done.

Phil has always been one of my favorite coaches. He's always been a standup guy and an outstanding coach but his teams have been struggling for the last few years and it was probably time to make a move. He will be a great contribution to somebodies program if he continues to coach.
    Last edited by xuwin; 03-19-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Sorry to see Phil Martelli's run at St. Joseph's go down in flames.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

You'd have to think he's retiring after this, 64 years old, only place he's known.. crazy to me. Poor guy, the business of college athletics are just that though, business, gotta be cut throat.

Hearing a loooottt of rumblings on the VIP forum on the WVU board that Shaka is gonna get fired and boosters for Texas are ready to throw whatever they need to in order to lure Chris Beard for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    You'd have to think he's retiring after this, 64 years old, only place he's known.. crazy to me. Poor guy, the business of college athletics are just that though, business, gotta be cut throat.

Hearing a loooottt of rumblings on the VIP forum on the WVU board that Shaka is gonna get fired and boosters for Texas are ready to throw whatever they need to in order to lure Chris Beard for what it's worth.
    Wow. UT would have to pay a 13 million buyout for Smart. Wouldn’t it be nice if your boss tells you suck and we’re going to let go while collecting a mere 13 million. Sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post

So what is the WVU board and how does that relate to Texas?