Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Howard was pretty good his first 10-15 years, than the last few he was just seen as an older player giving wisdom, has two rings, and over 16,000 career points, definitely marginally in the conversation but still someone players can look at and be like "damn this guy was pretty good," in my opinion. I think the biggest thing will be how he fills his staff out, I think his first act should be trying to secure Yaklich to stay as he's a good recruiter, and a good defensive mind, then we'll see what other pieces line up. I think it's an interesting move, I read an Athletic article that said the choices after Howard were Williard and Martin from South Carolina. I think Howard has potential to have a pretty high ceiling due to name recognition and being on teams with LeBron, Wade, etc. The no experience thing is going to be an interesting aspect but if he can delegate with the proper staff I could see it being successful for Michigan.

EDIT: I also didn't realize Aaron McKie is the head coach of Temple now, so that's Penny, Ewing, Howard, McKie, Majerle, Stackhouse all former NBA players that are head coaches at D1 institutions, it's kind of crazy to see so many people I've seen play in the NBA actually coaching college ball now, is this what getting older feels like??
    also, howard being a part of the fab five gives him a lot of cultural cache, like penny, with the younger players that ewing, mullin, etc don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    also, howard being a part of the fab five gives him a lot of cultural cache, like penny, with the younger players that ewing, mullin, etc don't have.
    I'd rather play for Ewing than Howard.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Sort of. When those guys start dying regularly, that's what getting older REALLY feels like.
    Oof lol that turned dark!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I'd rather play for Ewing than Howard.
    Though I'm sure many would agree, I think Scoscox is right about the cultural aspect, the 30 for 30 showed The Fab Five as sort of "bad boys" which I think is something recruits these days can really relate to, I could definitely see Howard being more of a hit like Penny is, even though Ewing is an absolute legend.

Y'all ever seen Space Jam?

Sophomore
    yea, ewing's in it for about 15 seconds.

also, i think i focused too much on the cultural thing there. penny is having success because he's cashing in on a personal relationship with the #1 prospect in the country. i don't think it's any deeper than that really

I think Penny's got many personal relationships in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. That's not going to dissipate when James Wiseman has finished his one year. Now, if this season goes wrong and Wiseman appears to have a bad experience, that's going to cause him issues with future players like that.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think Penny's got many personal relationships in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. That's not going to dissipate when James Wiseman has finished his one year. Now, if this season goes wrong and Wiseman appears to have a bad experience, that's going to cause him issues with future players like that.
    agreed. and you're probably right about the connections, but i only mean that with regard to the stars aligning for this monster class. he is particularly fortunate to have coached the #1 player in the class and was able to recruit other talent based on that. i don't expect recruiting to fall off a cliff just that it probably won't be at that level.

agreed. and you're probably right about the connections, but i only mean that with regard to the stars aligning for this monster class. he is particularly fortunate to have coached the #1 player in the class and was able to recruit other talent based on that. i don't expect recruiting to fall off a cliff just that it probably won't be at that level.
    AAU connections are important, that's for sure, I think if this monster class leads to some solid success, the recruiting will stay pretty high and competitive, do I expect it to beat Duke and UK year in and year out? Absolutely not. Another thing to consider is that Derrick Rose also went to Memphis, he's just as much a "cultural" legend in the eyes of recruits. I don't really think you oversold the cultural thing, I think it is prominent, and it does play a part in it. Just so happens that Penny has a lot of AAU connections as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Oof lol that turned dark!
    I'm fairly certain Bill Buckner died today just to prove my point.