Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nit

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Poetic justice almost. I would bet a lot of money that would sell out Cintas quite easily. When do the NIT brackets release? After the selection show immediately right?
    I think Sunday evening some time because I believe games start Tuesday.

If we get a 2 seed we'd be guaranteed 2 home games (with wins of course). 3 or 4 seed we'd get at least one. Definitely would love to cheer this team on at home one last time.

If we gotta be in it might as well win it.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I think Sunday evening some time because I believe games start Tuesday.

If we get a 2 seed we'd be guaranteed 2 home games (with wins of course). 3 or 4 seed we'd get at least one. Definitely would love to cheer this team on at home one last time.

If we gotta be in it might as well win it.
    Thanks brotha! Amen to that about winning, I'd love to see a top 2 seed, which I think is possible with the way we closed out the season. I'm excited for more basketball, and wish I could be in Cintas for it, but either way, I'm hoping we have a strong NIT showing to propel us into an even better showing next year, and back to where we belong.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    X is a secure invitation to the NIT.
    I think the players really enjoy each other and want to play because they know their style is good and they can beat anyone.
    Next year, it will take those frosh a long time to learn D1 defense.
    I agree. Xavier is a matchup nightmare when Naji and Wely are making 3pt shots and consequently spreading the floor. I don't think it would be a shock to see them get back to NYC. I agree with the freshman having to take time adjusting to D1 level athleticism too. The jump from a good 4 star recruit to a 5 star potential NBA draft type athlete is HUGE.
    Last edited by XfansinKy; 03-17-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Sophomore
    ESPNU Sunday at 8:30 NIT selection. Hoping for good news in selection and seeding. There are many good teams that won't be in the big dance. Was in NYC Friday and damn. Samuels lucky 3 was the story and probably a block on Gillespie at end which of course is a screw job but 90% of time the ref will make the one call that won't decide the game. For 30 seconds I thought Gillespie would be shooting but must not be sure of that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Poetic justice almost. I would bet a lot of money that would sell out Cintas quite easily. When do the NIT brackets release? After the selection show immediately right?
    No one gives a damn about the NIT — it’s literally a losers bracket. Unless tickets are BOGO or discounted, I’d be shocked if they sell a game out.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    No one gives a damn about the NIT — it’s literally a losers bracket. Unless tickets are BOGO or discounted, I’d be shocked if they sell a game out.
    Then you can call me Mr. NoOne.....because if Xavier is playing, then I give a damn.

I don’t live and die based on how Xavier does, but I try to watch every game that I can.

Some NIT predictions I could find. Most just list seeds, only one showed matchups:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/
    (last updated 3/17)
    #3 seed (Furman, Lipscomb, Texas, Xavier)
    #6 seeds are Providence, Wichita St., San Francisco, and Hofstra

https://ncaabasketballpredictions.bl...3/nit-310.html
    (last updated 3/10)
    #5 seed (Butler, Xavier, Providence, South Carolina)
    #4 seeds are St.Mary's, Arkansas, Dayton, and Memphis

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019...unc-greensboro
    (last updated 3/16)
    #3 seed vs. #6 San Francisco
    (other 3s are Georgetown, Nebraska, and Lipscomb)
    (other 6s are Hofstra, Utah Valley, and ETSU)

Here's one I found.

John Templon

Welcome to Selection Sunday. This is where my NIT bracket stands as we start the day.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D11cv51WwAIOgBp.jpg

Another President in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    If X plays Dayton at the Cintas, it'll sell out. Maybe mostly Fayers, but it'll sell out.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Playing in the NIT makes the most sense. This team didn't blow out anyone in the home OOC schedule and lost (rather convincingly) to Bucky Badger at home. They lost a huge lead to San Diego in the holiday tourney, then came the six game losing streak. Finally, they put everything together and are playing very respectably right now. The team isn't good enough to compete well in the NCAA, despite this late season run. I think losing that 7 point lead with less than 4 minutes vs Villanova suggests they still are not able to overcome some deficiencies to the point where you could say X makes a run in the NCAA tourney. So, the NIT seems like a good way to get more playing team in a year where there were more downs than ups, but the ups make it worth while to play at some level. And, I agree, the grad transfers would have loved being in the NCAA, but post season basketball will be fun at this level. I say this level because last year Hankins' team won the DII title, so he has that experience. By tonight, we should know who they play and where in the NIT.
    Last edited by vee4xu; 03-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Pray the Rosary daily