Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Nit

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    These are definitely exhibition games, but I really enjoying watching Xavier basketball games, and it will be many months before we get to go back to Cintas, so I'm looking forward to Wednesday.
    What I meant was, these aren't exhibition games as in "let's see how this line up works ".

We are playing to win these games, not playing to see what lineups will work next year.

The Toledo game is probably better than 8 of the early games. I do not understand why you would want to go to those, but not this. Kind of seems like a tantrum.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpivery View Post
    The Toledo game is probably better than 8 of the early games. I do not understand why you would want to go to those, but not this. Kind of seems like a tantrum.
    Do not mean to speak for all of those that find these NIT games meh, but as to my own rational, it's pretty simple really. Winning those early regular season games is important because it is a step in the right direction toward the end goal----a NCAA tournament bid, which then leads to more exposure, better recruiting and ultimately the final 2%. The end goal of a game in the NIT is winning an NIT championship which nets what exactly? It's cool for the grad transfers who get to play one or a few more college games, but the whole "experience for Steele and the core four" is pretty overblown in my opinion.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Champ View Post
    What I meant was, these aren't exhibition games as in "let's see how this line up works ".

We are playing to win these games, not playing to see what lineups will work next year.
    My comment was directed at the "why go, who cares?" crowd. Like, going to Cintas to watch Xavier play is fun, and it should be a good game, so I'm going to go, even though we all obviously expect to be in the NCAA tournament every year.

I agree with playing to win. The team is doing an international trip in the preseason so that's when you work on James/Harden/the frosh. To me, the NIT is especially for the grad transfers, who came up a little short in why they chose X, so let them all play together some more. I'm more interested in winning four than in playing James/Harden a bunch and winning maybe once.

We are fans. For us the whole thing is watching the team play and enjoying the trip. We hope that they do well on the national stage and take pride in how well “our” team does. The championships, the rankings, the amount of national press and respect they get, etc. But we are just fans. No matter how much invested in it we are, with donations, ticket purchases, time spent on chat boards, time spent watching, dollars pent traveling, we are still just “fans”. I read on this board that some fans are acting like this year is all over. For them, maybe it is.

But what about the coaches and players...the actual TEAM? Aren’t they what it should really be all about?

It really doesn’t matter what we fans think about the importance of the NIT. What matters is what the TEAM thinks. I will go with the assumption that if the team decided to participate in the NIT, that it is important to them. Otherwise, why participate? Why they think it’s important, wether it be to give the fresh a chance to play, or to get more practice for the returners, or to reward the seniors, or any other reason, doesn’t really matter. One thing for sure, it’s not because they want to do it for the “fans”. And I’m sure they aren’t doing it for the exposure or the publicity. Could it be that they just want to take advantage of every opportunity they have to wear the uniform and compete?

Could it be just for the pure enjoyment of Playing the Game? I certainly hope that there is some of that in there.

I tell you this from a personal standpoint....40 years after wearing a Xavier U uniform I still remember the thrill of walking out to compete. It’s still the most FUN thing I ever have done in my life. I was sad when every season ended and couldn’t wait for the next season to start. I hope thse players feel this same way.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    We are fans. For us the whole thing is watching the team play and enjoying the trip. We hope that they do well on the national stage and take pride in how well “our” team does. The championships, the rankings, the amount of national press and respect they get, etc. But we are just fans. No matter how much invested in it we are, with donations, ticket purchases, time spent on chat boards, time spent watching, dollars pent traveling, we are still just “fans”. I read on this board that some fans are acting like this year is all over. For them, maybe it is.

But what about the coaches and players...the actual TEAM? Aren’t they what it should really be all about?

It really doesn’t matter what we fans think about the importance of the NIT. What matters is what the TEAM thinks. I will go with the assumption that if the team decided to participate in the NIT, that it is important to them. Otherwise, why participate? Why they think it’s important, wether it be to give the fresh a chance to play, or to get more practice for the returners, or to reward the seniors, or any other reason, doesn’t really matter. One thing for sure, it’s not because they want to do it for the “fans”. And I’m sure they aren’t doing it for the exposure or the publicity. Could it be that they just want to take advantage of every opportunity they have to wear the uniform and compete?

Could it be just for the pure enjoyment of Playing the Game? I certainly hope that there is some of that in there.

I tell you this from a personal standpoint....40 years after wearing a Xavier U uniform I still remember the thrill of walking out to compete. It’s still the most FUN thing I ever have done in my life. I was sad when every season ended and couldn’t wait for the next season to start. I hope thse players feel this same way.
    I think all of this is certainly fair. The only thing that is annoying me is some fans telling me how i should feel about the NIT, and if I don't plan to watch or attend these exhibition games which is what they are, it makes me not a fan. Fan on Fan crime.

I can understand the team's view on this and if you are going to play in it, you might as well win the thing, but attacking another fan's view of it is odd.

Soooooo....

If Xavier wins the NIT.. do they.. hang a banner?

Love Xavier Basketball as much as anyone, but it would be pretty embarrassing to have any kind of NIT banner in Cintas.

First off the one poster that played for X in the late 70’s did you play a lot? Didn’t know we had greatness among us. Now onto the stupid post above, no offense to you personally just your post. OF COURSE YOU HANG A BANNER. If they lose first game of NIT it will still say 2019 NIT on the banner. The only thing you don’t do is throw a parade like VD did or for the love of God make a T-shirt unless it’s a funny T-shirt that says I’m using the NIT championship banner to kNIT YTG a new handkerchief to cry into after his first round loss to Iowa.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Agree here. Banner yes. Making a big deal about it: no.

The first year i moved here Wichita State won the NIT. The next year their "pump up" video before the starting lineups ended with their NIT championship banner being unfurled, and the crowd went nuts. I was embarrassed for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    First off the one poster that played for X in the late 70’s did you play a lot? Didn’t know we had greatness among us. Now onto the stupid post above, no offense to you personally just your post. OF COURSE YOU HANG A BANNER. If they lose first game of NIT it will still say 2019 NIT on the banner. The only thing you don’t do is throw a parade like VD did or for the love of God make a T-shirt unless it’s a funny T-shirt that says I’m using the NIT championship banner to kNIT YTG a new handkerchief to cry into after his first round loss to Iowa.
    What makes you so smart that my post is stupid? Do we know that they'd even hang a banner for NIT participation? Is there currently an NIT banner in the rafters? If not, would they really create an entire banner to recognize a season we didn't make the NCAA tournament?

I really don't think Xavier will hang anything unless they win it, and even then, I still wouldn't hang it.