Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Nit

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    With 68 teams in the Tournament, all the good bowls are left. The NIT is the Weedeater Bowl of basketball. But if you're in it, you might as well win it!
    A Xavier Indiana final at MSG would feel more like Peach or Citrus bowl in stature. Not playing for a national championship but 2 marquee programs competing on a big stage.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    A Xavier Indiana final at MSG would feel more like Peach or Citrus bowl in stature. Not playing for a national championship but 2 marquee programs competing on a big stage.
    Those two programs have 5 national championships between them.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    To be fair, Texas never really did much and Barnes was there for 10+ years. Yes, very consistent, but could never quite get them there.
    True, I think Barnes at Texas did go to one final four and two elite 8's in his earlier days at Texas, but his later teams were good but not great in his last 6-7 years there. But firing him now looks like a really bad move. His former school is in the NIT, and his current team has a 2 seed, and last year a 3 seed.

I will add that TN is currently beating Iowa by 20.

Off topic- is this the same Iowa team that just beat UC?
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-24-2019 at 11:53 AM.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Gregg Marshall must really be happy he didn't move on to Texas or Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Gregg Marshall must really be happy he didn't move on to Texas or Alabama.
    Why? He wouldn't have sucked like Johnson and Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Why? He wouldn't have sucked like Johnson and Smart.
    I'm always a little amazed with coaches like Smart. He was highly successful at VCU winning 25+ games every year for 6 years. And then he goes to a bigger school and pretty much sucks (.500 in four years).

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I'm always a little amazed with coaches like Smart. He was highly successful at VCU winning 25+ games every year for 6 years. And then he goes to a bigger school and pretty much sucks (.500 in four years).
    What amazes me that big time donor alumns for these massive universities have no tolerance for anything less than F4 quality teams. Rick Barnes should have been a UT lifer but the pressure brought to bear on the AD was too much. Change is gonna come and it usually ends with the "Hot young coach" getting the big contract.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

There's also the argument that VCU has been consistently good themselves with one breakout year in 2011.

If Shaka can't make a run next year in the NCAA Tournament, then I think it would be fair for Texas to reevaluate their future.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    What amazes me that big time donor alumns for these massive universities have no tolerance for anything less than F4 quality teams. Rick Barnes should have been a UT lifer but the pressure brought to bear on the AD was too much. Change is gonna come and it usually ends with the "Hot young coach" getting the big contract.
    By the same token, UT's win against South Dakota State was the first postseason victory of any kind by Shaka at Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    There's also the argument that VCU has been consistently good themselves with one breakout year in 2011.

If Shaka can't make a run next year in the NCAA Tournament, then I think it would be fair for Texas to reevaluate their future.
    Why doesn't any major program who annually competes for a national championship run a major full court press? It's because that style can't win in today's game consistently. Shaka smart has a style that works in lower tier basketball, but if you want to compete with the big boys you need to play a more traditional style of ball