Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Nit

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    In the last 5 games, these are some results of 3 pt shooting:

Naji 3-24
    Goodin 4-23
    Scruggs 10-36
    Welage 11-19

At the risk of beating a dead horse, somehow we've got to get Welage more shots, and keep Naji and Q from jacking them up.
    Especially with the line pushed out another foot or so.
    He was wide open a few times and they weren't getting him the ball.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    He wasn't joking.
    Lol. Fair

I wonder how Texas fans feel about being in the NIT and the coach they fired has a #2 seed and last year had a #3 seed in the NCAA?

Freshman
    I started the thread & just returned from wintering in Fla. I 1st started watching college ball in 1959 & remember the NIT being big as teams wanted to play in MSG & win a title. My cousin was a starter on UC's 1st NCAA Champ team in 1961 & I went to their games, but I admired XU / Steve Thomas & the fact XU was the 1st team in the city to win a National Title. The Media has steadily downgraded this event for decades. It is a Tournament of 32 Teams now. Several of those teams always feel jilted by the NCAA. The 8 teams now involved in the PIG further detracted from the NIT. If I was a player, I would be excited to play in MSG for a Tourney Title. BEING THE BEST OF THOSE 32 TEAMS IN THE NIT IS AN HONOR & ALLOWS YOU TO START THE FOLLOWING SEASON ON A NICE WIN STREAK. Should we beat Texas I will buy tix for the game to decide if we go to MSG. I appreciate all replies to this thread, regardless of feelings about the NIT.

Walk-On

Trivia Question

Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    I started the thread & just returned from wintering in Fla. I 1st started watching college ball in 1959 & remember the NIT being big as teams wanted to play in MSG & win a title. My cousin was a starter on UC's 1st NCAA Champ team in 1961 & I went to their games, but I admired XU / Steve Thomas & the fact XU was the 1st team in the city to win a National Title. The Media has steadily downgraded this event for decades. It is a Tournament of 32 Teams now. Several of those teams always feel jilted by the NCAA. The 8 teams now involved in the PIG further detracted from the NIT. If I was a player, I would be excited to play in MSG for a Tourney Title. BEING THE BEST OF THOSE 32 TEAMS IN THE NIT IS AN HONOR & ALLOWS YOU TO START THE FOLLOWING SEASON ON A NICE WIN STREAK. Should we beat Texas I will buy tix for the game to decide if we go to MSG. I appreciate all replies to this thread, regardless of feelings about the NIT.
    Xu Koop scoop was indirectly inviting you to guess the identity of his cousin that was part of a team made the Oscar Robinson teams look anemic

Player Class Pos Height Summary
    Bob Wiesenhahn SR F 17.1 Pts, 10.0 Reb, 1.4 Ast
    Paul Hogue JR C 6-9 16.8 Pts, 12.5 Reb, 0.6 Ast
    Tom Thacker SO F 6-2 12.3 Pts, 9.5 Reb, 3.8 Ast
    Carl Bouldin SR G 11.7 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 2.5 Ast
    Tony Yates SO G 6-1 7.4 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 2.7 Ast
    Dale Heidotting SO F 6-8 3.6 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 0.3 Ast
    Fred Dierking JR F 6-6 2.6 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 0.2 Ast
    Tom Sizer JR G 6-2 2.0 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.7 Ast
    Jim Calhoun JR G 6-0 2.1 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.2 Ast
    Larry Shingleton SO G 5-10 0.9 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.4 Ast
    Mark Altenau F 0.9 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.2 Ast
    Sandy Pomerantz F 7.5 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 0.0 Ast
    Ron Reis JR C 6-10 0.3 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.1 Ast
    Frank Turner F

He will tell you if you are the winner .

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Lipscomb playing like they were clearly underseeded as a 5 in their region. They could actually host an NIT quarterfinal if Harvard upsets NC State tomorrow.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOX View Post
    Xu Koop scoop was indirectly inviting you to guess the identity of his cousin that was part of a team made the Oscar Robinson teams look anemic

Player Class Pos Height Summary
    Bob Wiesenhahn SR F 17.1 Pts, 10.0 Reb, 1.4 Ast
    Paul Hogue JR C 6-9 16.8 Pts, 12.5 Reb, 0.6 Ast
    Tom Thacker SO F 6-2 12.3 Pts, 9.5 Reb, 3.8 Ast
    Carl Bouldin SR G 11.7 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 2.5 Ast
    Tony Yates SO G 6-1 7.4 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 2.7 Ast
    Dale Heidotting SO F 6-8 3.6 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 0.3 Ast
    Fred Dierking JR F 6-6 2.6 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 0.2 Ast
    Tom Sizer JR G 6-2 2.0 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.7 Ast
    Jim Calhoun JR G 6-0 2.1 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.2 Ast
    Larry Shingleton SO G 5-10 0.9 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.4 Ast
    Mark Altenau F 0.9 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.2 Ast
    Sandy Pomerantz F 7.5 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 0.0 Ast
    Ron Reis JR C 6-10 0.3 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.1 Ast
    Frank Turner F

He will tell you if you are the winner .
    Ok, my cousin averaged a double double in his senior season. I didn't even know that until the stats just showed up. I think he held John Havlicek to 2 pts in the Championship game vs Ohio St. Now, back to the XU in the NIT. Let's compare college basketball to college football in postseason. The NCAA Tourney in BBall is similar to making the BCS Playoffs. Football teams, however, still seem happy to play in games knowing there is no chance to be National Champions. That's what the NIT is in basketball. Since we haven't had a Football Team since 1973 this analogy may be lost on many. By the way, that Oscar guy had a last name of Robertson, not Robinson. Everybody just called him the Big O anyhow.
    Last edited by xu koop scoop; 03-23-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

That football bowl game analogy is spot on and puts everything in perspective. So all of you hard core detractors of this tournement, think of it like a big bowl game.......don't be a NIT-WIT (see what I did there).
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-24-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I wonder how Texas fans feel about being in the NIT and the coach they fired has a #2 seed and last year had a #3 seed in the NCAA?
    To be fair, Texas never really did much and Barnes was there for 10+ years. Yes, very consistent, but could never quite get them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    That football bowl game analogy is spot on and puts everything in perspective. So all of you hard core detractors of this tournement, think of it like a big bowl game.......don't be a NIT-WIT (see what I did there).
    With 68 teams in the Tournament, all the good bowls are left. The NIT is the Weedeater Bowl of basketball. But if you're in it, you might as well win it!