Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Nit

I'm pretty sure there's a 1957-58 NIT banner hanging from the rafters. I know, different time and all but still...

That said, I'm fine with a banner. I agree the gomuskies that there's isn't a huge deal made about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's a 1957-58 NIT banner hanging from the rafters. I know, different time and all but still...

That said, I'm fine with a banner. I agree the gomuskies that there's isn't a huge deal made about it though.
    I'm like half "meh" about everything, the NIT is great for experience and growth, a banner would be a bit tacky, I think we're destined for more important banners after multiple Elite 8 runs, but it wouldn't bother me that much. The 57-58 NIT banner from all I've heard is basically a National Championship banner since the NIT meant so much those days, but I could see where after the adversity faced this season, if they did win the NIT that they hung a championship banner, and championship banner only...

What makes me so smart? Well it’s because they have NIT banners already hanging. Each year they participated and the one they won. Not smart just observant
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

I would think that they would hang a banner if they WIN it. Also quite sure that the championship trophy would be on display somewhere.

But banners, trophies, plaques, etc. are really not all that important to the players, as much as they are for the media, the administration, and the alumni. They make the place look good. Does anyone really think that the current UC players care one bit about the NC championship trophies from almost 60 years ago? I really doubt it. But the alumni from that time probably does. Same goes for the NIT banner from 1958 that X has hanging. You hang the banner, and put out the trophies, as a way of recognizing the players, coaches, and staff that were involved in winning them. You make it a public thing as a way to say thank you to them.

OTR...As far as my participation back in the 70’s. I was not a basketball player. Never said I was. But in my sport, yes I did “play” a lot. :). But I wish I had been able to compete in 1 more event at least once, than I ever was able to. Just wasn’t good enough.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 03-19-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Now that the NCAA is the tournament to make and our goal every year to win, no more hanging banners for anything else. Much different story than 1958 for the program and the college basketball landscape.
    Last edited by XUOHTX; 03-19-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Well what uniform did you put on brother? I’m intrigued with Xavier legend we have on this board?
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Well what uniform did you put on brother? I’m intrigued with Xavier legend we have on this board?
    Hardly a “legend”. LOL. I seriously doubt if there is anyone on campus today that would recognize my name or remember me.

But in the latter 1/2 of the 1970’s Xavier had a D-1 wrestling team. It folded for lack of support at the end of the 1st semester of the 1978-79 season. The year before we had 5 of us go to the NCAA Easten Regionals, where we finished 8th out of about 30 teams. We only lost 2 dual meets that whole year, both to state schools. Won 10 dual meets as a team. We had a team made of many former GCL graduates and state placers. Practices were quite competitive. But we had virtually no scholarship money, a very very limited recruiting budget, and the travel budget we had was because of the money the team raised on its own. We were rarely able to field a full team for much of its history, but we had an excellent members of the team every year. Unfortunately, sports, school, jobs, and social lives don’t always mix well. A few of our most talented members just weren’t interested in being college STUDENTS, and flunked out. Others decided to concentrate on their studies and didn’t want to, or couldnt, spend the time being a student-ATHLETE took out of study, job, or social time. Others, with no scholarship money, had to work year round. We didn’t have tutors, study tables, professors willing to give alternative work/tests, etc. to support us. There was no Sister Rose or even a full time athletic training department. We didn’t have even one member of the team on full scholarship. Most of us lived at home, commuted to school, and worked part-time and summer jobs to make ends meet. Xavier back the. was a much different athletic atmosphere than what we see today.

But no complaints, even if there are a few regrets. I got to travel and compete. I had some great teammates. A couple of good coaches. Made friends all over the Midwest that I remained friends with for many years. Have memories that no amount of money could buy. But I would give almost anything for one more chance to turn back the clock and wear the uniform again. As I said before, it was A LOT of fun.

These things are why I keep harping on the idea that it’s not all about winning national championships and making Xavier a national brand. That it’s never going to be alright with me to take on a winning at all cost attitude for XU BB. There is just way to much benefit to the athletes by just being a member of a team. If we keep in mind what the real purpose of the university is, and what the real benefits the kids get from competing for the university are, we will stop worrying about hosting banners and trophies. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t TRY to be the best. My personal goals included being a national champion and making the Olympic team. I never did either...those regrets...but it wasn’t for a lack of trying or lack of work. Lack of talent is more like it. But if I hadn’t set my goals high, I never would have been as successful as I was, and never would have had the experiences I had. The programs SHOULD aim for national championships. But if they never make it, it doesn’t mean they aren’t successful. Or that they are a failure. They only become a failure when they stop TRYING,when they give up. This year’s team has been successful because they have never given up. We really can’t ask for anything more out of them.

What an amazing two months. We went from this team will not win another game this year and do we fire Steele to when we win NIT, do we hang the banner? That doesn’t include all the other roller coaster stuff we experienced over that time.

Crazy ass times! Can’t wait for the range of emotions next season may provide.

Thank you grad 80 for telling your story. You’re a true legend in my book. Yes this year is the only year I will accept a NIT bid. As long as Steele is here I plan on watching X in the dance. Let’s go win this thing now.

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    I was a partial athletic scholarship (golf) recipient in the late 70s. Does that qualify me for “legend” status?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.