Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Nit

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Little noteworthy that Toledo was the last NIT at-large to make the field here. A Xavier win should set the team up nicely in their subregion; Texas and Alabama are certainly beatable and might not even be still playing by the time they'd be matched up with Xavier.
    This team wants to play. They knew the situation going in it's not like they feel they got screwed. I expect Hankins to be a man beast and just annihilate Toledo and Texas

Quote Originally Posted by KabeX View Post
    I don't think this is an easy game but we should win. I would like to see the Texas match-up as they were whining about not getting in - at 16-16. My gut says we could win this thing but the disappointment on just missing the dance plays to our disadvantage. If we're all honest with ourselves, it is the Not Important Tournament so I would not be surprised if we exit early. And really I wouldn't care all that much. If I'm typing something similar this time next year then "Houston we have a problem".
    I will pray that if we are stepping on the court, we are NOT quitting. Our kids were sports semi-studs. I never took the glory in that. In HS we had places that would not let us pay for our kids food. It was creepy. It was their thing, not OUR thing.

Having said that, I only got on either kid one time. It was just rec league, and the younger son was overmatched against an older and much larger team. They were middle school, but our team was getting routed, and it was ugly. I caught my son’s eye and said firmly (NOT yelled!) “have you quit?” He never responded, but he kicked back into gear. No shame in losing, but never quit.

He’s so awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by KabeX View Post
    I don't think this is an easy game but we should win. I would like to see the Texas match-up as they were whining about not getting in - at 16-16. My gut says we could win this thing but the disappointment on just missing the dance plays to our disadvantage. If we're all honest with ourselves, it is the Not Important Tournament so I would not be surprised if we exit early. And really I wouldn't care all that much. If I'm typing something similar this time next year then "Houston we have a problem".
    I think Texas would be a lot of fun, this team needs practice breaking the press, Shaka is aggressive with that (well was, idk if he still is, didn't watch Texas this year), and couple that with it could be a fun "screw you" to Hayes for choosing them over us haha. I am in the same boat though, could either be very disappointed, or have the ability to make a deep NIT run, these are the cards we are dealt now, so let's take it a game at a time, and focus on Toledo first. It's not where we wanna be, but more practices, and more basketball to hold us over until next season!!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I think Texas would be a lot of fun, this team needs practice breaking the press, Shaka is aggressive with that (well was, idk if he still is, didn't watch Texas this year), and couple that with it could be a fun "screw you" to Hayes for choosing them over us haha. I am in the same boat though, could either be very disappointed, or have the ability to make a deep NIT run, these are the cards we are dealt now, so let's take it a game at a time, and focus on Toledo first. It's not where we wanna be, but more practices, and more basketball to hold us over until next season!!
    Hayes is out for first game and most likely wont play again this year.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Anyone who won’t watch x in the NIT please stop rooting for them forever. We don’t need fans like you. Also GFYS
    The NIT sucks.

Accepting an invitation also means you need to win it, because the only thing more pathetic than playing in the NIT is losing in the NIT.

Yes the NIT sucks but it’s better then not playing. I have up in this team 6 weeks ago and was a little nervous about the future. Now I’m excited about the future and look forward to Hopefully 5 more games. The ones who refuse to watch please do us all a favor and stop telling us the NIT sucks. Most of us will enjoy watching our team play and GFYS
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Wow. Here they have Toledo a half point favorite. Bet the house.
    https://images.actionnetwork.com/blo...NITBRACKET.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    The NIT is pretty much the BET part 2. Everyone is still playing somewhere except Depaul
    For what it's worth, DePaul accepted a CBI invitation and will be taking on the Central Michigan Larry Austins in the first round.
    Joel
    Banners on the Parkway - XU on SBN (Formerly Xavier Examiner)

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpivery View Post
    Wow. Here they have Toledo a half point favorite. Bet the house.
    https://images.actionnetwork.com/blo...NITBRACKET.pdf
    Kenpom has Toledo about 2 points better on a neutral court. Since we're at home we should be a slight, very slight, favorite. I wouldn't go betting the house just yet.

At the risk of pissing someone off and getting a bad rep comment (oh no!), I’m going to guess that the very few people that keep posting that the the NIT sucks, doesn’t mean anything, and that they could care less, are “younger” folks that have grown up with X always being the top dog and always going to the NCAA tourney. That they have a feeling almost of entitlement when it comes to X basketball. That they are true fans that always back the team win or win. But I question why they feel the need, if they feel that way about it, to even click on a thread titles NIT?

I really doubt that any of the seniors are feeling like being invited to the NIT is a bother, as none of them have any real experience in a D-1 post season tourney. I can’t see them not taking this seriously. I also have the belief that Scruggs and Q are the type of competitors that can’t stand to lose even a “friendly” game of HORSE. I can’t imagine the coaching staff not being interested in doing well. I expect the team to show up.