Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So this is a puzzler...

I've been checking the NET rankings....to see what benefit the win over Creighton would have. Through the games on March 13th (before the game yesterday), Creighton was 54 and we were 70. AFTER the game (that involved US beating the 54th team and Creighton LOSING to the 70th team--if I remember correctly) we stayed the same and Creighton moved up two spots to 52.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

My guess is efficiency and scoring margin are more prominent factors compared to the old formula. If they would have won be 12 yesterday there would have been some movement possibly. Also there is the consideration of past X opponents.. Are any of them doing anything? No idea.

Good points, Waggy. Could be. All I know is if there is a system where #70 beats #54 and #54 gets better, while #70 doesn't improve....well, then that system feels sort of silly.

That said, I guess it is possible that the difference between spot 70 and 69 is larger than the margins around #54. Anyway, still "feels" like a flaw in the system.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

Looking at Pomeroy it's much the same. I think X improved one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Looking at Pomeroy it's much the same. I think X improved one spot.
    Not to be confused, I didn't think we'd switch places or anything. I just figured we'd move up a couple of spots and Creighton would drop a couple. I didn't see how the losing team could move up and the winning team stay the same. Good point (Waggy and GoMuskies) on other teams losing....I guess.

One would still think that in a fair system, if both teams are in the top 100, the team that win goes up and the team that loses go down. X beat a decent SJU at home and then a decent Creighton on a neutral. X's NET ranking has gone from 72 to 70. Makes you wonder a bit.

On a side note, I see SJU has now dropped to 72. I have to think they're in real trouble of getting in.
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Illinois getting throttled may have hurt X. Mizzou losing (of course, that also involved Auburn winning). I don't know.

Nebraska beating Maryland could have given Creighton some lift.

It's definitely odd. KenPom now rates us #65 and Sagarin has us #55 (#28 in Recent).