Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Junior
    From what I can tell- winning @Marquette, and they don't have the bad losses Xavier does. The difference between 52 and 70 is really only a game or two difference.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I also wonder how Creighton can have a NET of 52 with an 18-14 record and X is also at 18-14 and is at 70. Creighton has one decent OOC win- a bubble team in Clemson.
    Well, they don't have any Quad 3/4 losses. We've got 2 Quad 3 losses.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Another head scratcher is Minnesota beat Penn State 77-72 yesterday. 14-18 Penn State went from 49 down to 47 and Minnesota went from 56 up to 57. I get the whole season thing but how can St Johns’s go from 64 down to 72 after losing a game to 29 Marquette (with a 10 point cap).

NET rankings have an anti-Catholic bias, during Lent even.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Well the entire season is in play, and there was a large portion of the season when they weren't good at all. This team had a lot to overcome, and they look pretty much like a tournament team now, but that other body of work doesn't go away.
    Sure the whole season is in play...but those bad losses were included yesterday....and it said we were at 70. Again, I know there are other factors, but the bad losses have been being calculated.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Even the old RPI has us at 76.

We just need to keep winning.
    Never a truer statement.

The real takeaway is we have to win the BE.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Another head scratcher is Minnesota beat Penn State 77-72 yesterday. 14-18 Penn State went from 49 down to 47 and Minnesota went from 56 up to 57. I get the whole season thing but how can St Johns’s go from 64 down to 72 after losing a game to 29 Marquette (with a 10 point cap).
    I suspect SJU's offensive and defensive efficiency took a hit yesterday. But I agree, losing to the #29 team, even badly, shouldn't make a team drop that much.

I realize any margin of win above 10 points isn't counted, but the score is effectively counted via the efficiency ratings. I also get it that a team that wins by 30 played better than the team that beat the same team by 5. But it still bothers me some that margin of victory apparently has a significant effect on the ratings.
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.

FWIW, here is an attempt to "explain".

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...what-they-mean
    May the X be with you....Quitting is never an option.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I also wonder how Creighton can have a NET of 52 with an 18-14 record and X is also at 18-14 and is at 70. Creighton has one decent OOC win- a bubble team in Clemson.
    Our bad losses are worse then Creighton's.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Yeah, I get the whole Quad wins/losses, how previous opponents are doing, opponents opponents, and opponents opponents opponents etc., but it doesn't seem like any of this should trump or even have near as much bearing as actually winning the damn game.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

Just WIN!
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.